Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

What downtown needs more than anything else is more ice cream shops: https://www.wyff4.com/article/sweet-summer-surprise-jenis-splendid-ice-cream-coming-to-greenville/36801953

Totally agree :rofl:    They do have flavors that no one else will so maybe there is still room for one more. I wonder why they didn't choose the newly vacated spot next to Starbucks across  from the park (not that the Camperdown isn't a great spot too.)  I still want to see a movie theater at the Camperdown.

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Just returning to gloat about my prediction almost 2 years ago now..

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/116229-camperdown-greenville-news-building-site/?do=findComment&comment=1642930

Although I don't know exactly where in Camperdown it'll be, but close enough!

You pretty much nailed it

17 hours ago, gvegascple said:

You pretty much nailed it

One of the positives here is the Jeni's locations typically have very strong gravity and draw lots of people to their locations.  If there was any concerns about not enough people wandering into and around Camperdown Plaza (once the "newness" wears off of course) I think those can be put aside now. 

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SVL said:

I noticed that one of the spaces underneath the Deca apartments is being built out. Looks like it may be another Starbucks for downtown according to this:

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/3QBkNtz5LDG8ScwcPVeTLIYf1-0j32RgNS0Y-mylQ0g/Camperdown Flyer FINAL VERSION 06082021 reduced.pdf

Thank goodness. Just what downtown needs on top of more ice cream shops. Another Starbuck’s. 

3 hours ago, SVL said:

I noticed that one of the spaces underneath the Deca apartments is being built out. Looks like it may be another Starbucks for downtown according to this:

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/3QBkNtz5LDG8ScwcPVeTLIYf1-0j32RgNS0Y-mylQ0g/Camperdown Flyer FINAL VERSION 06082021 reduced.pdf

Probably going to move from across the street. Good move. 

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

I bet this is going to be an additional location and not a replacement. 

With the margins on selling $8 cups of coffee, I think they will be able to support 2 locations.  Both sites are prime and will attract plenty of people and pull from different sources of pedestrian traffice (AC/Bohemian/Deca/restaurant vs West End/Riverwalk/Falls Park.)  On busy streets and intersections, its safer to have one on each side of the street to have less folks needing to cross the street too.  

Edited by gvegascple

1 minute ago, gvegascple said:

With the margins on selling $8 cups of coffee, I think they will be able to support 2 locations.  Both sites are prime and will attract plenty of people.  On busy streets and intersections, its safer to have one on each side of the street to have less folks needing to cross the street too.  

The thing about their Riverplace location is that it's a great spot for pedestrians, but it's also fairly easy to find short term parking and run into the store. You're not going to get that same kind of parking convenience at Camperdown (without a longer, more laborious walk).  But, you WILL have a larger immediate population of office workers, residents, and hotel visitors to draw off of. 

• Like 2

I'm not really surprised they are going into this development.  However, If the site map is correct, I am a little surprised they are going under the apartment building in the plaza.  It looks like they would have taken one of the available spots under the AC Hotel fronting Main Street to get the foot traffic coming in and out of the park as well as the Peace Center.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

I'm not really surprised they are going into this development.  However, If the site map is correct, I am a little surprised they are going under the apartment building in the plaza.  It looks like they would have taken one of the available spots under the AC Hotel fronting Main Street to get the foot traffic coming in and out of the park as well as the Peace Center.  

The site map is correct. They’re going in the tenant spot at the bottom of the apartment building closest to the G-News building. Maybe those other available spots have a LOI. Either that or the design and size of those spaces just doesn’t work for Starbuck’s

On 7/20/2021 at 9:40 AM, GvilleSC said:

The thing about their Riverplace location is that it's a great spot for pedestrians, but it's also fairly easy to find short term parking and run into the store. You're not going to get that same kind of parking convenience at Camperdown (without a longer, more laborious walk).  But, you WILL have a larger immediate population of office workers, residents, and hotel visitors to draw off of. 

Starbucks has been trying to get a drive-through downtown for years now. Luckily the City has put a stop to that nonsense. Starbucks should be a secondary walking stop on a downtown trip, not the destination. 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, greenvilleguy said:

I agree in the short term but in the future this location will be serving the bohemian, all the deca pedestrian and office worker traffic and then be positioned near future development spurred by the bohemian on that side of town

5 hours ago, gvegascple said:

I agree in the short term but in the future this location will be serving the bohemian, all the deca pedestrian and office worker traffic and then be positioned near future development spurred by the bohemian on that side of town

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a Starbucks inside the Bohemian. Look at Haywood Rd. One in Barnes and Noble, one beside B&N in small strip, one across the street in Haywood Mall and another down Haywood at Laurens Rd./Woodruff Rd. 

• 2 weeks later...

Resident for three years in the Upstate and left for the Sunshine State Jan 2020. Always been searching online for updates about Camperdown and other projects around the city. Glad I found this place! I was hearing from friends that Chase is taking over WSPA's location in RiverPlace. Is the (bank?) taking over both spots if the Starbucks is moving over to Camperdown? Would make sense as both connect inside anyways (drywall separates news studio and Starbucks). Also, do we know what level WSPA is on over there? I know it's multiple stories so I would think it'll be the first to keep the same mindset they had across the street for people to look in during the news cast.

Looking forward to talking to everyone here about the 864

PS: Is there a post about all the activity over by Fluor Field? I heard they're building apartments over there. Haven't seen any photos of updates about that

46 minutes ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

Resident for three years in the Upstate and left for the Sunshine State Jan 2020. Always been searching online for updates about Camperdown and other projects around the city. Glad I found this place! I was hearing from friends that Chase is taking over WSPA's location in RiverPlace. Is the (bank?) taking over both spots if the Starbucks is moving over to Camperdown? Would make sense as both connect inside anyways (drywall separates news studio and Starbucks). Also, do we know what level WSPA is on over there? I know it's multiple stories so I would think it'll be the first to keep the same mindset they had across the street for people to look in during the news cast.

Looking forward to talking to everyone here about the 864

PS: Is there a post about all the activity over by Fluor Field? I heard they're building apartments over there. Haven't seen any photos of updates about that

The apartments by Flour Field are called .408 Jackson  (in reference to Shoeless Joe Jackson rookie batting average).  It is across Vardry Street from Greenville High and is under construction now. 

408 Jackson