Camperdown (Greenville News Building Site)

gman

Anecdotally, I've found that people are curious about the plaza. The shade structure often catches one's eye and they'll wander up the steps to check it out. Other times, the exercise classes and music draw in curious people during the evenings. Certainly, Jeni's is drawing large crowds. Getting Larkin's moved in, and the spaces along Main filled will help create more buzz. 

• Like 2

There are actually ten retail and restaurant spots for lease at Camperdown currently. Probably more than most people realize. 

Group Therapy looks amazing going off the social media pics also. Definitely need to get over there ASAP.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

On 6/17/22, the DECA building sold for 99,999,999.  About $461k per key. 

I wonder if George Sink bought it?  :tw_smirk:

The Landmark building also sold recently for a large chunk of change. 

Edited by gman430

20 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

On 6/17/22, the DECA building sold for 99,999,999.  About $461k per key. 

I wonder if George Sink bought it?  :tw_smirk:

To put this in perspective, from August of 2021:

Apartment building 10 West Edge sold for $134 million., or $383k  per key (350 total). 

23 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Please, please, PLEASE do a makeover! :whistling:

I dream of the landmark getting a renovation like the Adams Mark Hotel in Mobile Alabama.

The Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel, formerly known as the Adam's Mark Hotel,[2] is a high-rise hotel in the U.S. city of Mobile, AlabamaCompleted in 1983, the building rises 277 feet (84 m) and 28 stories.

Upon its completion, the 374-foot (114 m) and 277-unit Adam's Mark Hotel[1] became the second-tallest hotel in Mobile, after the 325-foot (99 m) Mobile Marriott, and the third-tallest building in the city. The building underwent a $5 million renovation (USD) in 2002, and in 2008 a large spire was constructed over the existing structure.[1] The spire was designed to complement the spire of the RSA Battle House Tower; in shape and design, the two structures are nearly identical.[1] With the addition of the spire, the Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel reached a new height of 374 feet (114 m),[2] allowing it to surpass the Mobile Marriott and City-County Administration Building to become the third-tallest building in the city and the tallest hotel in the state.

May be an image of skyscraper

Mobile Purple Skyline Photograph by JC Findley | Pixels

adams mark hotel.jpg

Edited by tigerman93
Picture wouldn't upload
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tigerman93 said:

I dream of the landmark getting a renovation like the Adams Mark Hotel in Mobile Alabama.

The Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel, formerly known as the Adam's Mark Hotel,[2] is a high-rise hotel in the U.S. city of Mobile, AlabamaCompleted in 1983, the building rises 277 feet (84 m) and 28 stories.

Upon its completion, the 374-foot (114 m) and 277-unit Adam's Mark Hotel[1] became the second-tallest hotel in Mobile, after the 325-foot (99 m) Mobile Marriott, and the third-tallest building in the city. The building underwent a $5 million renovation (USD) in 2002, and in 2008 a large spire was constructed over the existing structure.[1] The spire was designed to complement the spire of the RSA Battle House Tower; in shape and design, the two structures are nearly identical.[1] With the addition of the spire, the Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel reached a new height of 374 feet (114 m),[2] allowing it to surpass the Mobile Marriott and City-County Administration Building to become the third-tallest building in the city and the tallest hotel in the state.

May be an image of skyscraper

Mobile Purple Skyline Photograph by JC Findley | Pixels

adams mark hotel.jpg

Yeah, those Mobile buildings blow anything we have out of the water. I honestly cannot think of another peer city that doesn't have at least one building with a spire; somehow Greenville completely missed out on that architectural phenomenon and became the poster child for flat chopped off rooflines. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, gman430 said:

A major renovation of the entire property is planned. Expect to hear more later this month on that. 

Just saw the headline, but can't read past the first couple of sentences. I am intrigued :w00t: but hope we are not let down with a cleaning and "spruce up" kind of renovation <_<. I still think it being converted to residential/hotel would be a win-win; get a makeover, take outdated office space off the market, fill empty space elsewhere, prompt new office development, get a makeover, add residents, and get a makeover.

BTW, 25 MM seems very low for a building that size; maybe they'll have some real cash to put into it?

Edited by distortedlogic

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, GVLover said:

Looking at the plans I'm okay with this. It's completely embedded and hidden within the complex in a place where other businesses wouldn't work. Provides a good service for people who live downtown and just need a little extra space 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Looking at the plans I'm okay with this. It's completely embedded and hidden within the complex in a place where other businesses wouldn't work. Provides a good service for people who live downtown and just need a little extra space 

Exactly. Great points, and takes available space off the market. It’s a win if they can make the financials work, which they apparently believe they can do. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Been having trouble the last few days opening the property flyer, evidently it was updated 1/19/23. Perhaps they're only adding the cocktail bar in, but I'd love if there were some additional tenants secured. I'll be forever bewildered at the fact Camperdown isn't filled. 

https://www.collettre.com/properties/camperdown-broad-street-and-south-main-street-greenville-sc-29601

3 hours ago, GVLover said:

Been having trouble the last few days opening the property flyer, evidently it was updated 1/19/23. Perhaps they're only adding the cocktail bar in, but I'd love if there were some additional tenants secured. I'll be forever bewildered at the fact Camperdown isn't filled. 

https://www.collettre.com/properties/camperdown-broad-street-and-south-main-street-greenville-sc-29601

Retail-wise, it lacks a destination anchor tenant.  The retail spaces are largely invisible.  If I’m shopping on North Main or in the West End, I’m not going to go out of my way for one store (Southern Tide) that offers the same thing (higher-end casual clothes) that lots of other downtown stores offer, particularly when it’s invisible.