Spartan Stores merging with Nash Finch

MJLO

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/11/spartannashs_west_michigan_hq.html#incart_river_default#incart_2box

I Don't know if I should have been worried,  because I had no clue what was actually going on. However local media did a good job of making me worried that West Michigan could have possibly lost a Fortune500 company to the more attractive Minneapolis market.   It is very good news for the region that the Fortune500 is being represented here again.  

With their revenue trippling i'm sure Spartan will outgrow the Byron Center campus.  I'd wager they'll probably just expand there.  But boy i'd like to dream that maybe when they did need more space that they might create a downtown campus.  Snow balls chance in hell but hey dream big.  :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I hadn't been concerned about this either, but I agree, yay for us.  I had assumed the new company's leadership (which is pretty much all Spartan) would naturally want to stay in MI, but it's understandable the MN people would make a convincing/tempting push for their state.

On the other side of the coin, there's also this quote from the St. Paul Pioneer Press, which makes sense:

Art Rolnick, a former Minneapolis Federal Reserve official who is now at the University of Minnesota's Humphrey School of Public Affairs, has long been a critic of public subsidies to private corporations. In this case, Spartan officials were calling the shots after swallowing Nash Finch back in July, but declined to say where the headquarters would be.

"My guess is that it's already been worked out, but they're going to play the game anyway," Rolnick said this fall. He added: "You don't want to show all your cards. That's the way to get the biggest subsidy."

On that same token, regarding our dream of a downtown campus, it would take some scandalously absurd tax breaks to move Spartan Nash into GR.  If Spartan were to ever seem amenable to moving, it's likely they're just trying to extract more credits from the state, and hoping city leaders will get on board to help them do it.

Interesting point you bring up, this makes Spartan-Nash the ONLY fortune 500 company with HQ in GR metro area. It removes Nash-Finch as 1 of 18 F500 HQ in the twin cities and shows you how much of a win this actually was considering MN being such a business friendly environment. Agreed it would be awesome to see a downtown HQ but there is probably a lot of straightening out to do first with smart growth and an identity issue they need to resolve first 

cool map

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2012/states/MI.html

Interesting point you bring up, this makes Spartan-Nash the ONLY fortune 500 company with HQ in GR metro area. It removes Nash-Finch as 1 of 18 F500 HQ in the twin cities and shows you how much of a win this actually was considering MN being such a business friendly environment. Agreed it would be awesome to see a downtown HQ but there is probably a lot of straightening out to do first with smart growth and an identity issue they need to resolve first 

cool map

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2012/states/MI.htIn 

In all fairness we'd have at least 4 fortune 500 companies in GR if Meijer, Amway, and Gordon Foods were public.

Archived