Razorback Overload?

I'm going to post this, and I realize I may be shunned away from NWA and be ousted from this forum... but do any others feel like the Razorback stuff is too much?

I turn on the local news, and the Razorback football stuff was the top story, while there was a plane crash... This was a few weeks ago.  And the worshiping of the football coach... and the thing with the guy that almost went to Texas, but they gave him a huge bonus... Not to mention all of the perks this guy got.

I just don't get the obsession.  Is it a "represent Arkansas"  thing?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your first post was thoughtful and then you decided to show how much you disdain your new surroundings and the culture here. I would say we are sorry you don't appreciate the allegiance to the primary sports team in the state but I doubt you would care. I hope if you live in the area long you will realize that a unifying entity is very valuable and in this state it is much so. I'm sure you will be glad to move on to somewhere you appreciate more and good luck to you!

I thought M_86's post was respectful and valid.  Honestly I've lived here most of my life and feel the same way - and I'm a Razorback fan.  The thing is, there are very few options in this area when it comes to sports and therefore the Razorbacks pretty much get all the coverage.  It should be noted that the local media outlets make lots of money off U of A athletics -- so you can forget about getting unbiased coverage.

A few years ago, when Bobby Petrino was reigning king, he refused to take a question from a local reporter who was wearing a Florida hat (she was a Florida alumni working for a Fayetteville radio station).  She was fired the next day.  

Sorry to call you out here, Zman, but IMHO you're the only one on this thread that sounds disdainful.

I'm going to post this, and I realize I may be shunned away from NWA and be ousted from this forum... but do any others feel like the Razorback stuff is too much?

I turn on the local news, and the Razorback football stuff was the top story, while there was a plane crash... This was a few weeks ago.  And the worshiping of the football coach... and the thing with the guy that almost went to Texas, but they gave him a huge bonus... Not to mention all of the perks this guy got.

You can always change the channel/station. Fayetteville is a college town and it happens to be THE state university at that. It was here a 100 years prior to Walmart. The saving grace is that if you don't donate to the Razorback Foundation or buy tickets, the pay, bonuses, and perks don't cost you a thing considering the Athletic Dept. at the University is self supporting and doesn't use any tax money. My Dad crashed a plane once, the only coverage it got was a pic in the weekly newspaper back home with about a 4 sentence caption underneath it. And like someone said, the Razorbacks is the major sports team for the entire state with no major pro competition.

Alright, I'll bite. My reference to M_86's first post was the their long post in the NWA Wish List topic, which I thought was very thoughtful and relevant. I see many references in that post I agree with but in this Razorback Overload topic I don't agree with M_96's apparent disregard of the area's support for Razorback athletics. I realize there are many people relatively new to the area who don't have an allegiance to the Razorbacks but that does not discount the overwhelming support that the UA athletics programs have in the state. Remember, there is no professional athletic team within the state and regardless of the residents new to the state there is a great sense of pride and identity in the Razorback  program. Instead of trying to disrespect a source of pride for long term residents of the area new residents might refrain trying to antagonize them. It is called assimilation although I realize many of those new residents may be counting the days until they can leave the area.

For anybody from somewhere else, its going to seem like "Razorback overload" here.  Without professional sports, the Razorbacks dominate every local sports cast.  Its kind of a small town thing.  I could see how someone from out of state might find it annoying. On the other hand, I barely watch TV for news or sports coverage.  I'm on a "consume when I want" basis with most news and sports information.  Its entirely avoidable.  

Thank you for the replies.  And, i learned a lot.  Trust me, I'm not putting down this area or the love of the Razorbacks... It's something I'm not used to.  And, I'm not a sports fan, so that probably plays hugely into my opinion.

I will admit my title to this thread was a bit passive-aggressive.  

The fact that there are no national sports teams here makes sense.  A while ago, I saw on the news that tuition keeps going up at U of A, but then I see all this stuff about Bielemas salary and the athletic director... I think that skewed my opinion even more.  But, if there's no connection between tuition and sports, then I retract what I said.

Yes, the Athletic Dept. actually give's money to the academic side here. It's a rarity. The students or tax payers, other than tickets, carry no burden of the sports program. It's entirely self supporting.

It's a bad time to do it considering how raw some of us are over the past two football seasons.

It probably seems like that also because there's really not much else going on that's newsworthy.  Yes there is the odd plane crash or robbery here or there, but nothing consistent (not that that's a bad thing necessarily).  I lived in Little Rock for many years, and while the Razorbacks were discussed in the first 10 minutes if there was big news, usually they were left to the sports section of the newscast.  Even coming from down there to here, it's laughable what makes the broadcasts in NWArk.  

Thank you for the replies.  And, i learned a lot.  Trust me, I'm not putting down this area or the love of the Razorbacks... It's something I'm not used to.  And, I'm not a sports fan, so that probably plays hugely into my opinion.

I will admit my title to this thread was a bit passive-aggressive.  

The fact that there are no national sports teams here makes sense.  A while ago, I saw on the news that tuition keeps going up at U of A, but then I see all this stuff about Bielemas salary and the athletic director... I think that skewed my opinion even more.  But, if there's no connection between tuition and sports, then I retract what I said.

The sports teams are basically privately funded through donations and ticket sales.  The Razorback Foundation (while some are upset about its "non-profit" status) funds most everything Razorback.  At least it isn't involuntary taxation.

I don't think the university even charges a student activity fee to cover athletics here.  Its all done through branding and selling advertising, and donations to the Razorback foundation.

Another good point is that we just don't have that much news here.  You won't find a newscast that starts by listing all of the murders of the day.  That's a good thing.  Non-fatality car accidents often still get tv coverage.   :thumbsup:

Another good point is that we just don't have that much news here.  You won't find a newscast that starts by listing all of the murders of the day.  That's a good thing.  Non-fatality car accidents often still get tv coverage.   :thumbsup:

If you are hinting that I came from a huge metropolitan area, then you are wrong.  :)

Archived