Augusta Manor

sc smitty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City Council passed the first reading to tear it down for the new development. One step forward, two steps back.

I was wondering what the vote was.  It's a real shame.  I sure hope someone can find a way to move it somewhere.  There is some much vacant land along Church St, it wouldn't have to move far. 

I was at the city council meeting last Monday, and they viewed the zoning issue and saving the old house as two separate issues.  They argued the zoning change was appropriate, and they could not deny it based on the fact that the property has a historic home as part of it.  Right now there is nothing to protect the property if someone wanted to demolish the home and build something that the current commercial zoning allows.  They did express a desire to see what could be done to save the house. Right now there are people looking into moving it somewhere nearby, but I think it would still be best for the developer to adjust his plans to work around the house. It might take some persuasion from city council to make this happen, so people need to let the city council know that it is important for Greenville for this landmark to remain as part of Augusta St.

Story on WYFF last night:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/community-rallies-to-keep-historic-mansion-standing/-/9654794/23952228/-/11y25mt/-/index.html

• 3 weeks later...
12328316363_dd9038de76.jpg
DSC_5996 by scsmitty, on Flickr
The developer has applied to the city for a demolition permit.  Due to this being a historic structure, there is a 30 day waiting period.  Efforts are already underway to raise the money to move the house somewhere nearby. The Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation will be heading up the fundraising.  An announcement and website for accepting donations should be coming by the end of the week. 

The goal should be announced in the next couple days.  A significant portion has already been committed.

Thanks for the info.  Has a location for the move been determined?

One idea I had was the site of the house on Augusta inthe West End that just got torn down.  It wouldn't have to move that far.  That house just BEGS to be a Bed and Breakfast and that location would be perfect too. .

One idea I had was the site of the house on Augusta inthe West End that just got torn down.  It wouldn't have to move that far.  That house just BEGS to be a Bed and Breakfast and that location would be perfect too. .

That location belongs to the Children's Theater.

A few different locations are still being considered.  The new site would have to be somewhere right along Augusta St or Church St / Mills Ave, just because the size of the house won't fit down any narrower streets.  The house is solid brick, so it has to be lifted and moved in one piece, without taking it apart in sections.  

Information is up on the website of the Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation regarding the fundraising efforts, and how to make a contribution. The total amount that still needs to be raised is $360,000, which is about half of the total cost to move the house. An easement will be placed on the home to guide restoration, and prevent future demolition.

https://palmettotrust.org/news/item/371-community-groups-aims-to-save-greenville-s-wilkins-house

Here's a colorized version of a historic photo showing what a restoration could potentially look like.

12363995565_2205c142a3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Or, if you've been to Lexington, VA, a Hampton Inn (or similar). There is an estate on the outskirts of Lexington, Col Alto, that sat for decades empty or drastically underutilized (faculty or student housing). Eventually it was incorporated into a Hampton Inn, and is quite beautiful.

Here's a link to a front view of the house.

Oddly, the hotel's home page seems to have every other view but a front one.

If a big enough piece of property is available, then something similar in Greenville could be a smash hit.

Is there any news about this? Here's hoping Greenville doesn't destroy yet another historic structure.

Only $10,000 has been raised so far according to WYFF. Due to that very low amount, I don't see this fundraising campaign being successful sadly. Why the fundraisers haven't asked the city for money to help save the house baffles me.

This is from the article:

We expect to be able to announce this week that we do have some grants that have come in that will greatly increase what we have pledged so far by at least six times, but we definitely have a ways to go," Odom said.

The groups have until April 29 to raise the money.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/thousands-still-needed-to-save-historic-home-in-greenville/25018734#ixzz2wIo6ZKTs

Either the time period has been extended (it was previously 3/31) or the article is in error. It looks like there is 60k or so in grants awarded too, which certainly helps.  We can't give up yet.

This has been very quiet so far, but hopefully after Wed. there will be a much more visible push.  I had been told they had been asking the large contributors behind the scenes first.  

I think they will eventually ask for city funds if they still come up short, but given Greenville's history, they want as much private money as possible in this deal.    

It says a lot about us as a city, whichever way this goes. 

Here is a photoshop image shownig how the Wilkins house will look on the new site.

13294354955_dede549f82.jpg

Here is a short video about moving the house and how to donate.  Fundraising is already well above what the news was reporting earlier this week.  We still have over a month to raise the rest.  Seems I always hear people commenting how they can't believe Greenville tore down historic buildings like the old city hall and others downtown. If everyone really cares about keeping these important landmarks of Greenville's past, here is their chance to do something about it.

• 1 month later...

Some large contributions in the last week has pushed the campaign amount raised to $256,000.  The website total should be updated later today. 

Only $104k left to go.  Hopefully, they got another extension to raise that.  

If you haven't given, pleased do so, this is one house that s very worthy of saving.  

https://palmettotrust.org/news/item/371-community-groups-aims-to-save-greenville-s-wilkins-house

Archived