5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

From the Tennessean; apparently the City has been requesting proposals to develop the old convention center site and will make a selection next week.

A handful of development groups that submitted qualify­ing proposals for the redevelop­ment of the city’s old convention center have pitched their plans, and Metro could pick one by early next week.

Some of the proposals are from...

The five qualifying propos­ers are:

» Nashville-based Rubicon Equities;
» a joint venture formed by local developer Pat Emery and commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield Corner­stone;
» a partnership of developer Hart-Reed LLC and Franklin­based hotel developer Chart­well Hospitality LLC;
» Dallas-based developer Trammell Crow Co.;
» an Indianapolis-based com­pany called REI, which is not af­filiated with the outdoors appar­el store that goes by the same name.

And it will include the Museum of African American Music

In addition to maximizing development opportunities and possibilities for the old center and site, the proposals had to complement the development of and minimize any disruption to the attached Renaissance hotel and to Music City Center. Proposals also had to encourage expansion of retail development on Broadway, limit the financial participation of and risk to Metro, and incorporate the proposed National Museum of African American Music and future retail components, including restaurants, live music venues and other entertainment offerings.

No info about the House of Blues. This would explain the mysterious rendering that popped up on an architects website a few months ago, although I don't remember the name of the firm.

HouseofBlues_zpsc38dcacd.jpg

Looks like this thing has legs. Exciting!

• Like 1

Did that original mixed use proposal that is posted above have any residential mixed in, or was it all pretty much the Museum of African American Music, a hotel, office space, etc? In any case, a project similar to this should have some type of residential 

Edited by arkitekte

How would you guys feel about a shopping mall on the old cc site?

I think it could work. It's been decades since there has been a downtown shopping mall. It would certainly feed off of all the tourists, and there are finally some downtown residents to fill in the gaps. It could also spur some retail development in the area.

I personally don't want to see a single focus (med-mart type) development. I think downtown needs something to expand its offerings outside of the large convention/sports/entertainment that we have. Something to tie it all together. I think retail would do just that.

Who knows. Maybe Park Ave would finally get some of that high end stuff he has been craving.

• Like 2

I think it could work. It's been decades since there has been a downtown shopping mall. It would certainly feed off of all the tourists, and there are finally some downtown residents to fill in the gaps. It could also spur some retail development in the area.

I personally don't want to see a single focus (med-mart type) development. I think downtown needs something to expand its offerings outside of the large convention/sports/entertainment that we have. Something to tie it all together. I think retail would do just that.

Who knows. Maybe Park Ave would finally get some of that high end stuff he has been craving.

I'm also hoping for something more versatile than a museum. That could possibly be part of it but I would rather see something that could serve the downtown community better. I'm thinking things like retail and recreation (movie theater, bowling, restaurants, grocery etc.)

• Like 1

However, I am a little confused. Didn't metro make a deal with the hotel of some sort of 99 year lease for the convention space? How would this deal restrict development plans?

Only for the ballrooms, which are on the Commerce St side of the NCC. The 118,000 sq ft exhibition hall is what is being targeted for development.

Aw!!! That is so sweet for thinking about me. I love the idea and a movie theater would be awesome downtown. LOVE IT!

• Like 1

I think a Cinebisteo like what was proposed for Brentwood would be a great movie theater choice. Not only is it a theater with good food, it's also a nice bar, bowling alley and pool hall. The price of the food is reasonable and you can have alcoholic beverages brought to your nice leather recliner sized seats. The shrimp feticinni diavolo is yummy! Also, after 8:00 p.m. It's 21 and above only.

• Like 1

Not crazy about an indoor shopping mall in the sense of the former Church St. Center, but I agree some form of retail oriented concept would be appealing.   The Plan of Nashville contemplated a pedestrian design that capitalized on a straight-on view of the Ryman, which I thought made sense.     It may be Nashville's most visited and -photographed landmark. 

main.jpg

I think a Cinebisteo like what was proposed for Brentwood would be a great movie theater choice. Not only is it a theater with good food, it's also a nice bar, bowling alley and pool hall. The price of the food is reasonable and you can have alcoholic beverages brought to your nice leather recliner sized seats. The shrimp feticinni diavolo is yummy! Also, after 8:00 p.m. It's 21 and above only.

I love it.  :alc:

Which means it's never going to happen.

• Like 1

The Plan of Nashville contemplated a pedestrian design that capitalized on a straight-on view of the Ryman, which I thought made sense.     It may be Nashville's most visited and -photographed landmark. 

Is it bad that I have lived here 26 years and have never been to the Ryman?

I'm not big on the mall idea either.  A retail cluster of some sort, sure, but a large indoor shopping mall?  Definitely not.  I've never been a big fan of indoor shopping malls in urban centers even if they are successful, only because it takes people off the street.  I'd rather have all of those stores lining the streets. 

I'm not big on the mall idea either. A retail cluster of some sort, sure, but a large indoor shopping mall? Definitely not. I've never been a big fan of indoor shopping malls in urban centers even if they are successful, only because it takes people off the street. I'd rather have all of those stores lining the streets.

I'm with you, but I have seen some very successful indoor malls in some cities. I think we can all agree that Downtown could use some serious retail influx. The problem is, no one wants to go it alone. There currently is no "retail district". One could organically develop, but that may take a long time. A mall could be an incubator for a larger retail area. And besides, a mall may indeed take people off of the streets, but if it draws people to the area, they will inevitably spill out into the surrounding area and be looking for surrounding places to shop.

I would support it as long as it is done well with the pedestrian in mind.

And quite frankly, I'm sick of all of these "new urbanism" outdoor malls. They are totally transparent. It's obviously a lame attempt to put some quasi-urban aspect to the otherwise auto-centric shopping experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way wishing to go back to the mega-malls of the 70's-90's, I just wish they would be a little more true to the "urban" part of the design.

• Like 1

And quite frankly, I'm sick of all of these "new urbanism" outdoor malls. They are totally transparent. It's obviously a lame attempt to put some quasi-urban aspect to the otherwise auto-centric shopping experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way wishing to go back to the mega-malls of the 70's-90's, I just wish they would be a little more true to the "urban" part of the design.

Oh man am I with you there.  They are the epitome of a fake, manufactured environment and completely miss the point of urbanism.  It isn't about making soccer moms feel fancy and hip because they shop at a place that has a fountain and a restaurant with a name in broken French. 

• Like 1

I would agree that I don't really want to see an indoor mall concept downtown, though it could be interesting if they did some type of tiered arcade (sort of like the historic one between 4th and 5th). If retail is to go at street level, I would like to see the facade mimic the warehouses on Lower Broad (I have also proposed for them to do this to the Arena on the Broadway side).

I would be OK with a more modern proposal for the NCC, too, like the 'secret' proposal seen earlier in the thread...though I think that looks a little busy. I'd rather see 2 slightly taller buildings than 3 midrises.

As for the 'new urbanism' outdoor malls...I get what you guys are saying. I guess they don't bother me as much as they bother you, but they are still better than indoor malls IMO. I would also draw a little distinction between places like the Hill Center in Green Hills, and places like The Avenue in the Boro, Nashville West, Providence in Mount Juliet, etc. The Hill Center incorporates structured parking and seems to be relatively pedestrian friendly. Sure, you still have to drive to it (well, you can take the bus and get within a couple of blocks -- they should change that), but it isn't built around a large surface parking area.

I would agree that I don't really want to see an indoor mall concept downtown, though it could be interesting if they did some type of tiered arcade (sort of like the historic one between 4th and 5th). If retail is to go at street level, I would like to see the facade mimic the warehouses on Lower Broad (I have also proposed for them to do this to the Arena on the Broadway side).

I would be OK with a more modern proposal for the NCC, too, like the 'secret' proposal seen earlier in the thread...though I think that looks a little busy. I'd rather see 2 slightly taller buildings than 3 midrises.

As for the 'new urbanism' outdoor malls...I get what you guys are saying. I guess they don't bother me as much as they bother you, but they are still better than indoor malls IMO. I would also draw a little distinction between places like the Hill Center in Green Hills, and places like The Avenue in the Boro, Nashville West, Providence in Mount Juliet, etc. The Hill Center incorporates structured parking and seems to be relatively pedestrian friendly. Sure, you still have to drive to it (well, you can take the bus and get within a couple of blocks -- they should change that), but it isn't built around a large surface parking area.

I'm totally with you there.  I like The Hill Center development, and the main reason why is because it's simply built right into the normal street grid and connected directly to the rest of the neighborhood.  In other words, it isn't trying to be it's own 'destination', or some kind of miniature Disneyworld version of an urban area.  It is decidedly a participating member of the community.  In many ways, it's the same as an old urban retail district that developed organically over time, and although it was developed all at once by a single developer, I think it functions more as an urban retail district than it does a "mall".  It would be even better if there was some residential worked in there somewhere, but either way, I would love to see more developments of a similar nature in other parts of the city. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

I'm totally with you there.  I like The Hill Center development, and the main reason why is because it's simply built right into the normal street grid and connected directly to the rest of the neighborhood.  In other words, it isn't trying to be it's own 'destination', or some kind of miniature Disneyworld version of an urban area.  It is decidedly a participating member of the community.  In many ways, it's the same as an old urban retail district that developed organically over time, and although it was developed all at once by a single developer, I think it functions more as an urban retail district than it does a "mall".  It would be even better if there was some residential worked in there somewhere, but either way, I would love to see more developments of a similar nature in other parts of the city. 

I'd like to see it in other parts of the city as well, but I do wonder how likely that would be in a lot of areas. For one, the Hill Center was a single piece of land -- so like you say, it was developed by a single entity. In other parts of the 'grid', this would be difficult because of the cost and ability to acquire land on both sides of a street. Not impossible, though.

Nashville is also very corridor driven...there are not many areas where retail/commercial development extends beyond one block off of a major street. What is different about the Hill Center is that it was a strip mall that was diagonally set to the street, and connected two well-traveled roads. It essentially allowed for the creation of a new street where the old parking lot existed. And it's a relatively short distance, making it easy to develop.

There probably are some other ares in Nashville where this would or could work, but it would be hard to find one that was already as well-situated as the Hill Center property.

Still, I'd be fine with redeveloping our aging (and unattractive in general) strip malls into more urban/pedestrian friendly spaces.

I dunno guys, since the demise of the 80s-90s mall I kind of miss them in a nostalgic way. I was in Old Hickory Mall in Jackson, TN over the weekend, and it reminded me of the good ol days of my beloved HHM and to some extent Harding Mall. Now CSM is a different animal all together.