5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

15 minutes ago, AUNash said:

Here's a shot of what it looks like they are preserving, at least so far - the segment along Commerce. I'm curious to see if all of this stays or not and, if it does, how it will tie in to the new structure.

bdf8f32d74a24b97a100e23c9b1c100f.jpg

What they have taken down.

c7add66c320e9fc1842ce639da335df2.jpg

The section closest to the Renascence will stay, however the section at the bottom of the photo with the Green roof will come down as that is where the office portion will go.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The section closest to the Renascence will stay, however the section at the bottom of the photo with the Green roof will come down as that is where the office portion will go.

Correct. The Renaissance is keeping it's Ballroom, which is the structure with the light-grey roof. Everything under the green and brown roofs is pretty much restrooms and open areas for small-scale convention use. The Green/Brown roof is part of the convention center will be torn down, i.e. nothing is being built around it/on top of it while it remains intact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I can't believe anyone ever considered razing the Ryman. But, the same goes for many buildings that did get torn down.

Ya know what'd go great there in place of that beautiful, timeless building?  An empty paved lot where fourteen people can park their SUVs for half an hour while they're eating a sandwich.  THAT is what the real power house cities are made of!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Ya know what'd go great there in place of that beautiful, timeless building?  An empty paved lot where fourteen people can park their SUVs for half an hour while they're eating a sandwich.  THAT is what the real power house cities are made of!

You're joking, but it also seems that there are really people who think that way. Maybe they're wired completely the opposite way we are, de-urbanists!

• Like 1

^Every time one of the news channels post news about a new project on facebook, like game-changing area-revitalizing projects, all the idiot mouth breathers in the comments sections have to talk about is "WHER WE 'POSED TO PARK NOW?!?!1" They just expect massive free parking lots surrounding every restaurant, shop, and office. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

^Every time one of the news channels post news about a new project on facebook, like game-changing area-revitalizing projects, all the idiot mouth breathers in the comments sections have to talk about is "WHER WE 'POSED TO PARK NOW?!?!1" They just expect massive free parking lots surrounding every restaurant, shop, and office. 

God yes. Next Door has those same people. 

CHANGE!? NOOOOOOOO!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

While driving down Lower Broad yesterday towards the river, traffic of course came to a complete standstill right in front of First Baptist Church.  I had friends from Utah, Arizona, and California in the car with me, none of whom had ever been to Nashville.  As we looked to the left where the old convention center used to be, they each saw the Ryman and asked what it was.  My first reaction was how glad I was that the big old ugly convention center was no longer there because a) it was just a giant blank wall facing Broadway, and b) it sure was nice to see the Ryman so prominent in our field of vision.  It was like the traffic stopped just so we could admire her.  I almost--almost--wish the site of the old convention center would be turned into a big public plaza or something just so the venerable Ryman could stay so prominent.  I mean she really looked so regal perched there, almost proud to be seen once again instead of hidden behind that ugly blank fortress that was the old convention center.

Of course, I'll be giddy as a schoolgirl to see the new towers rise where the ugly old convention center used to be.  But for now, I love that the Ryman can once again be admired from afar.

(Side note:  we were all absolutely amazed at all the live music along Lower Broad and drove with the windows down.  My friends were also blown away by just the sheer number of people.  Two of my friends don't like country music, but they were as excited as little kids on Christmas morning when we finally parked the car and wandered from honky tonk to honky tonk.  And every single rooftop bar was packed.)

This is the reason that a few developers complained about the final design result.  They feel that it still turns its back on the Ryman.  If you'll remember, in the first ground level renders they showed us, there was a promenade that kinda ran straight towards the Ryman and framed it a bit.  The final design pretty much did away with that.

I realize there are tons of moving parts...and the developer wants to satisfy all requirements...but it's a shame that there is not something like a carved out area with fountains or something directly across from the Ryman where you can sit and just admire the front of the building.

• Like 3

This is the reason that a few developers complained about the final design result.  They feel that it still turns its back on the Ryman.  If you'll remember, in the first ground level renders they showed us, there was a promenade that kinda ran straight towards the Ryman and framed it a bit.  The final design pretty much did away with that.
I realize there are tons of moving parts...and the developer wants to satisfy all requirements...but it's a shame that there is not something like a carved out area with fountains or something directly across from the Ryman where you can sit and just admire the front of the building.

There will be plenty of places intentionally created within the development with fantastic wow moments of the Ryman. Have faith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...