5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

• 4 weeks later...

Council members voice concerns over National Museum of African American Music.

The museum received a letter Wednesday signed by 37 council members that calls into question why the museum has been given an arguably less significant spot in the development in recent plans, as was first reported by The Tennessean. The front door of the museum had previously been designated to sit on Broadway, but will now sit on Fifth Avenue.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/11/03/metro-council-criticizes-fifth-broadway-treatment.html

14 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Since there were significant civil rights sit-ins at Fifth Avenue establishments AND Fifth is designated as the "Avenue of the Arts, I would consider it absolutely appropriate to have the museum front Fifth Avenue.

I guess its because of the music thing, but I agree with you DND.  I think 5th is a lot better location than among the trinkets on LB.  If I were opening a museum of any sort, I think that LB would be one of the last places I would want it.

Kind of seems like the best of both worlds to me.  You get the visibility from people on Broadway, but the entrance is on a street with real tangible Civil Rights history.  Either way, I'm kind of just glad to know people are still talking about this!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

Perhaps none of this would have been questioned, had the originally proposed plan for the museum of years ago, at the SE corner of Jefferson and Rosa Parks, been finalized.  Of course, that is a presumption that would be academic at best, given the probability that an At-Large Council Member or any others, with respect to this matter, could take exception to the size and prominence at even that site.

Had timing been coincided, then perhaps a coordinated and consorted initiative might have been conceived with the State's current plans for enhancing the north mall area.  The museum then arguably might be poised to receive attention collateral with the State's museum proposal, as well as to attract the visibility induced by proximity to that complex.

I'm not suggesting, but I'm just saying.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Curious if someone asked Councilwoman Gilmore during her press conference why she and her colleagues oppose a location of which the Museum itself approves and which provides them with a more advantageous layout. It seems the leadership of the Museum would be in a better position to determine the optimal location and configuration of their space than the Metro Council.

I really wonder if they jumped the gun a bit...and took the change as a "slight" to African Americans without finding out the reasoning behind the change?  It appears the museum board asked for more space and all on 1 level instead of two...which totally changed the design.  Then...they (the museum board) signed off on the changes.  So...making a public statement instead of speaking with the actual museum board about it first seems to possibly be a mistake on their part.

• Like 4

A spot across from the greatest music venue in the country is not good enough for the NAAMM?  Or does Metro Council want it to sit among the honky tonks where people will be stumbling through the doors dozens of times asking where the bar is?  Much ado about nothing!  Someone should tell Gilmore to spend her energy on things that matter. 

• Like 4

5th avenue already has quite a bit of foot traffic going north to church street( pucketts,art galleries,etc).Once the retail/restaurants in 505 and metro garage opens and the extra street in front of the ryman going thru this project opens,I think potentially more people will be going up 5th than up broadway.Its not like you cant see the entrance from broadway either(huge billboard signage).I can also see this project putting more people in the alley between the ryman and the back side of the honky tonks,which is close to lining up to the front of the NAAM.I also wouldn't trade more space for a broadway entrance.Make the museum the best it can be and people will go.Dont make it small and just ok.If anything mount a LED on the corner building so people see it.I hope council doesn't drag this out or kill this project over this.I really doubt that metro council is smarter than the museum people on this either.To me its just council trying to "look" important and grandstand at the last minute.Like some have said, this is the avenue of the arts.  This can be a big piece of it.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, titanhog said:

I really wonder if they jumped the gun a bit...and took the change as a "slight" to African Americans without finding out the reasoning behind the change?  It appears the museum board asked for more space and all on 1 level instead of two...which totally changed the design.  Then...they (the museum board) signed off on the changes.  So...making a public statement instead of speaking with the actual museum board about it first seems to possibly be a mistake on their part.

This is exactly the sort of nonsense that prevents developments from being finalized. Politicians and organizations (MDHA) need to get out of the way and stop halting progress...

• Like 1

Well...here's another protest of the design...this time from an architect(s).

Pat Emery and the others spearheading a $400 million development that would revitalize the site of Nashville's original convention center are making an "embarrassing urban design blunder" that will harm the iconic Ryman Auditorium for generations to come.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/11/04/architects-400m-convention-center-overhaul-ignores.html

Sour grapes imo. Why all the angst  suddenly? We've seen this design for a long time now. To redesign now would be crazy and a complete start over. Lets build it... or tear everything down and put a park there? I don't think we can do both. I'd like to see this project completed in my lifetime tho!

Sorry, long day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nightranger36 said:

Sour grapes imo. Why all the angst  suddenly? We've seen this design for a long time now. To redesign now would be crazy and a complete start over. Lets build it... or tear everything down and put a park there? I don't think we can do both. I'd like to see this project completed in my lifetime tho!

Sorry, long day.

Actually... an urban park would be kinda cool... it'd be trashed constantly but still.

In the NBJ article, there were a couple of new renderings not shown before of the development would address the Ryman across 5th Avenue:

5th & Broadway render 1, Nov. 4, 2016.png

5th & Broadway render 2, Nov. 4, 2016.png

5th & Broadway render 3, Nov. 4, 2016.png

In the slide show, it then shows how this new proposal would address the Ryman via a public square of sorts tucked within the development:

5th & Broadway render 4, Nov. 4, 2016.png

5th & Broadway render 5, Nov. 4, 2016.png

I do like this public square concept, but if the plans have already been fully drawn-up and approved, I could see where it would be a lot of extra spending to alter things at this point.  Unless someone else is willing to cover all those costs, and re-configure deals that may already have been struck with the Music Museum and other retail/restaurant tenants, then I think this is kind of "Johnny-come-lately" by someone who has no skin in the game.

• Like 2