5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, markhollin said:

A food hall of this scope has the potential to become a major culinary destination drawing locals and tourists alike, comparable to European-inspired food hall concepts in Chicago, New York and Charleston, S.C. 

These open-air markets seem to be the new trendy thing for cities. I know Detroit is getting a similar one downtown, too. 

Edited by xtianpoop
Typo

52 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Will it be an open air market? Pics make it look like a giant open space under a high ceiling with kiosks and stalls. 

Most of the "food hall" will be indoors but The Food Hall Co. is also operating the rooftop which will have some additional spots for food vendors as well as bars and a craft brewery. The rooftop is going to be a pretty spectacular gathering place.

• Like 2

So a pretentious mall food court? It will be nice to have something like this since it adds more options but I wouldn't say it is a new concept or anything. To me it just sounds like they are trying to glam it up. Sure it won't have a Sbarro or Taco Bell, but at the end of the day it is just a food court. Why do they need to describe it as a "food theater"

Maybe I should open up a place that sells gas for vehicles downtown and call it a fuel boutique.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Haha 4

I like the idea. I mean, y’all are totally right in saying that it’s a pretentious food court, but developers are a pretentious group so it’s to be expected. It adds a lot of food options (especially to downtown workers and conventioneers) and seems like it could be a cool place to hang out. I just hope it adds to downtown and doesn’t detract from other spots like the Arcade, as @AUNash points out. 

• Like 2

I welcome the upscale food court announcement. Living and working (for the most part) downtown, there are not enough quick (as in pop in and pop out), high quality,  and diverse food offerings - the booth/market concept allows for three. The previous mentioned New Orleans Market concept St Roch ( https://nashville.eater.com/2017/10/17/16462066/st-roch-market-nashville) would also be welcomed.

5 hours ago, bigeasy said:

So a pretentious mall food court? It will be nice to have something like this since it adds more options but I wouldn't say it is a new concept or anything. To me it just sounds like they are trying to glam it up. Sure it won't have a Sbarro or Taco Bell, but at the end of the day it is just a food court. Why do they need to describe it as a "food theater"

Maybe I should open up a place that sells gas for vehicles downtown and call it a fuel boutique.

Yes, but "pretentious" has a negative connotation, and this new addition seems to be quite the opposite of negative. Far from your nasty local nausea-inducing mall food court with a few stalls of bland pizza and overcooked fried chicken, this space will be an clean, upscale environment, with a wide range of gourmet dining options for visitors of every price range. It's a lot different than a food court.

Also, tourists will likely be pleased with the variety of options, as well as the cool, sleek aesthetic of the area. So much better than the Arcade.

4 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

I welcome the upscale food court announcement. Living and working (for the most part) downtown, there are not enough quick (as in pop in and pop out), high quality,  and diverse food offerings - the booth/market concept allows for three. The previous mentioned New Orleans Market concept St Roch ( https://nashville.eater.com/2017/10/17/16462066/st-roch-market-nashville) would also be welcomed.

Exactly, there aren't very many options for workers and residents in this area, aside from the typical sit-down restaurants, or places with generic bar food. 

All-in-all this is great news. Surely there's no way anyone could be a NIMBY about this......

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

All-in-all this is great news. Surely there's no way anyone could be a NIMBY about this......

Haha, don’t look at the comments section on any Nashville news page. Apparently this site would be better purposed as surface parking, if what I’ve read is correct. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

This is not "outside, this is not "open air." This is a "food hall" like Chelsea Market in NY: a collection of restaurants in a large warehouse-type setting, either connected by a central hallway, or a central dining area. Food hall vendors styles can range from kiosks, to counters like your typical suburban mall food court, to individual restaurants separated by a door from the main concourse. 

This concept is absolutely perfect for downtown, and something Nashville is sorely lacking. 

My mistake! I thought there was an outdoors component. Honestly, I like it either way. Agreed that Nashville is lacking. 

17 hours ago, AUNash said:

Will take away traffic from the Arcade, I suppose.

I hope it does take traffic away from the arcade. It’s a space with huge, untapped, potential. If the ownership has any forethought, they will start reimagining the space now. The sad thing is, to my understanding, the current ownership has few resources. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

As someone that works downtown, it will be a welcomed addition to the food scene.  Sometimes I don’t want to pay $22 for lunch.   Sometimes a guy just wants a Taco Bell instead of a Bakersfield.  

Well, you won't find Taco Bell. I think the most likely scenario you get is Food Truck type chefs / concepts. Instead of starting with a food truck, I might decide to first build a following by renting and working out of a food stall at Fifth + Broadway. Regardless, I think its a great thing and perfect addition to that location.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 21jump said:

I went to a food hall in Florence, Italy that was next to a bustling street market multiple times while visiting the city. I think it will be a great addition to Nashville. It will be nice to walk in, grab a beer at one place, then walk around the hall and decide what to eat between the numerous offerings. 

Agree.     Went to food halls in Barcelona and walking around all the vendors cooking and displaying their specialties in front of you is a sensory explosion.     Really looking forward to this! 

• Like 4