5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

Could be interesting to say the least. The most important aspect is the pedestrian street scape leading to ground level retail. All I heard for 5 years in the hotel biz 2003-2008 was no downtown retail. My first stint in the hotel biz in 1988-1990 was when Church Street Center was open, which was ahead of it's time, yet it failed.

Can downtown retail be successful this time? This is not 1940-1975 when downtown retail thrived. Suburban retail like GHM is still where people go.

In regards to the towers. I am not too concerned about 18 stories. It will look 300 feet on the hill anyway.

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 1

Here's the render from the Post:

You can definitely see the OliverMcMillian influence...Buckhead Atlanta anyone??

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-04%20at%207.28.3

Here's Buckhead Atlanta:

BuckheadAtlanta_01_Spanx-450x291.jpg

This is much, much more along the lines of the street-level design I initially hoped for with this development. As long as they steer clear of making the retail too highfalutin and too kitschy (please NO boot shops or overdone country-themed shops!), this will be very useful to both visitors and people who live or work downtown.

Edited by ariesjow

Actually a nicer boot shop, like Pinto Ranch, would be nice. Even a Cavender's or Sheplers would be a great improvement over the not-so-great boot shops already downtown. I'd like to see a traditional department store across the street on the Commerce side but that's dreaming a bit too much since the only operators lef aren't opening many downtown stores these days.

I'm more than willing to sacrifice height for extending activity further up Broadway and potentially bring about the renaissance of downtown retail and also adding more residences right smack in the middle of the city. This latest rendering gives significant hope and faith in this project being very high quality.

• Like 1

The project looks great but what is up with the wacky illustration? Existing buildings (that are not going anywhere) are absent - where is the Renaissance Hotel - and it looks like they have the Federal Courthouse with an updated design.

The project looks great but what is up with the wacky illustration? Existing buildings (that are not going anywhere) are absent - where is the Renaissance Hotel - and it looks like they have the Federal Courthouse with an updated design.

Huh? The Renaissance hotel is right behind the apartment tower, and I'm not sure what your seeing as the courthouse... :dontknow:

That is the federal courthouse (or another building where the courthouse is to be built) behind the left tower in this picture.... no Renaissance to be found... or they made the hotel shorter and placed it a block North of where is actually stands. My condo is on the same block and I am between Church and Commerce and 8th and 9th...

In the rendering you can see Commerce as it passes 'behind' the Renaissance ... 

screen-shot-2014-11-04-at-84143-am*900xx

Edited by Guest

It's all jacked up because they also have Nashville City Center on Church Street itself! I mean there's so much wrong with the stuff that isn't in focus, which is the project itself, the arena, part of Lower Broadway, the Ryman, and Suntrust. That's about all that seems correct but serious overanalyzing here.

Not overanalyzing just expected a 'dramatic interpretation' warning if they were using artistic license and not an actual street grid. Hell I am surprised the Pinnacle and TN State Capitol did not make an appearance. ha

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the rendering.  Is that a geeeee-tar shaped swimming pool atop the retail building fronting Broadway?   If so, Travis Kelty will be jealous!

Looking at this pic, I really like the linear interrelationship between the buildings... and especially the drive/alley (L-shaped) through the new portion.  The result is a "parting of waters" so to speak out of respect to the Ryman.  Okay... so I'm no poet, but I like to explore the sidestreets of cities that have lots of activity.  This could be something like that.

Hell, the Polk office building is back where TN Tower is and whatever the hell is behind the City Center and McKendree and the First Pres. churches are replaced with computer generated office buildings. 

lol, you guys are cracking me up. It's a rendering for one development, not the whole city. They could have just made the rest of Nashville a flat copy of Google Maps... At least that would be accurate! ;-)

It seems to me (not a developer) that either you use the buildings 'as is' or you provide a fantasy illustration to promote your development. To do half-n-half seems to be a "Three Cups of Tea" embellishment.