5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

2 hours ago, DeemonBruhn said:

Floors aren’t just added after the fact. Adding floors has a serious impact on structural columns and the function of elevators. This is especially true of office buildings.

That makes a lot of sense.  Maybe the top of the building will have more of a crown than the original drawings.  That happened to the residential tower.

This office tower kind of gets lost in all the other action in the city, but if this was the only project, like when Pinnacle Tower went up in 2009/2010 at 29 stories, that was a huge deal.   

But this one at 25 office stories should make it into the top 20 tallest. The current list shows 222 and the Grand Hyatt at 326  / 320 feet, so I think this one will slide in just above those buildings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, titanhog said:

It still baffles me that they had Alliance Bernstein on board and still kept downsizing it.  You would think they would want to add floors to the project once they knew they had a client taking up most of it from the beginning...especially in a time like this.

Maybe Alliance Bernstein wanted to be the only tenant in the building (or the main tenant)?

• Like 1

I don't understand the floor count on the office tower.     When they say a 25 story office tower, how do you count the parking structure?      As I count currently, they are laying the floor of the 13th level of the steel frame office portion that sits atop the the 12 level parking structure (which includes the office lobby).     But a new load of steel has been placed in the staging area on top of the parking structure and from the quantity of it, it would appear to be enough to go at least another two floors higher.     Each new section of vertical steel is two office floors.     

• Like 1

Cracks me up that this office building has gotten shorter and shorter and shorter over time.  When the first renders came out, this building was significantly taller than the residential building.  Eventually it was about the same height.  Then just a little shorter.  And now...it appears the final height is going to be significantly shorter than the residential.

At least it's going to be a nice looking building with a world-class tenant in an awesome development.

• Like 3

Just noticed that too.... disappointingly short. And when you realize about half of it is parking, it's really just another Suntrust (or what ever its name is now) building on a pedestal. I do think A-B is happy, even if they didn't plan it this way, that their firm will have the vast majority of that building. Given its proximity to all of LoBro, it'll be like they own that whole food court and amenities there.

• Like 3