5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

15 minutes ago, Craiger said:

What is inauthentic about it? 

It's not Prince's. Literally other than Prince's and a few other small spots, Nashville hot chicken was NOT a thing even 10 years ago. To the extent it did exist it was predominantly an African-American cuisine.

Also, "Hattie B's" has always bothered me because it reeks of fake. It was founded and owned by two good ole boy white guys and then named "Hattie B's" to give an illusion of some older African-American woman back in the kitchen whipping up hot chicken.

Not usually one to side with those who cry "cultural appropriation" at everything, but there is definitely an argument to be made here. At the very least, it is definitely inauthentic.

Edited by NashWellington11
a word
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jarno said:

I've got some sad news for you, but Aunt Jemima does not make the syrup and never did.

Most people know that. The difference is Aunt Jemima was started as a brand in 1889 which we can all agree was a much different era than when Hattie B's was founded in 2012 .

Also, here are some articles on why Aunt Jemima and other similar brands are racist:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NashWellington11 said:

It's not Prince's. Literally other than Prince's and a few other small spots, Nashville hot chicken was NOT a thing even 10 years ago. To the extent it did exist it was predominantly an African-American cuisine.

Also, "Hattie B's" has always bothered me because it reeks of fake. It was founded and owned by two good ole boy white guys and then named "Hattie B's" to give an illusion of some older African-American woman back in the kitchen whipping up hot chicken.

Not usually one to side with those who cry "cultural appropriation" at everything, but there is definitely an argument to be made here. At the very least, it is definitely inauthentic.

You are not wrong, at the end of the day Prince's failed to monetize hot chicken and Hattie B's hit the jackpot. I do think though that Hattie B's product is pretty good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NashWellington11 said:

OK so that we are on the same page here then, only Prince's Nashville Hot Chicken is authentic then? Or any hot chicken place older than a decade? Two decades? 

Could you tell me what restaurants in Chicago serves authentic Chicago Deep Dish? Don't you dare give me a restaurant that open after 1960 though! 

• Like 1

Convene, a rapidly growing co-working brand out of NYC,  is pursuing it's first location in Nashville at the 5th & Broadway office tower. No word on how much space they will be leasing.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/02/12/surging-co-working-brand-targets-landmark-downtown.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1