5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

On 5/21/2020 at 5:34 PM, Native said:

But the real show was on Fifth Avenue North where 9200 pound glass walls were being installed on the Apple Store.  A security guard told me they cost $43,000 each.  The installation was dramatic.

DSC_6811.thumb.jpg.dff804dd7d2cedbff15ebe358500ff72.jpg

And now you can see why Structural Glass is so expensive,  hopefully they planned for some crash-rated bollards at the corner.  Cool reflection of the Ryman.

• Thanks 1

Well, the pause button may have been hit on the food court but the outside is proceeding apace.  Here is a view from a parking lot on Commerce Street.

IMG_4087.thumb.jpg.eb8bb565600e254ee7feab561dcad4b2.jpg

And contrast between the old and new.  A church on Fifth has vines growing out of its rear wall while the Fifth and Broadway office tower will plant trees on its green deck.  Tennessee has always been the "greenest state in the land of the free".

IMG_4085.thumb.jpg.6a3baa6baf06c0bd8ae34de6e3faf5dc.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Everything is on schedule construction wise. My understanding is that A) retailers / restaurants are a little preoccupied digging out of the COVID fallout so it is tough for them to currently plan for opening new stores / restaurants  B) this is a massive investment for many parties, so not being certain what environment will look like in the fall, it would be shame to put energy and resources into an opening and the larger community potentially still isn't ready by and large to return to large public venues. It is a bummer because I can't wait to see this thing come to life, but it seems like the right call to make.

This all makes sense, but waiting for 9-10 months to open? These spaces could just be sitting, finished, and gathering dust for months and any delayed opening a bit anticlimactic. I get all the reasons to wait, it's just really disappointing.  

Edited by Nash_12South

8 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

This all makes sense, but waiting for 9-10 months to open? These spaces could just be sitting, finished, and gathering dust for months and any delayed opening a bit anticlimactic. I get all the reasons to wait, it's just really disappointing.  

Spring starts in March. I'd bet you are looking at more of a six-ish month delay from when it was to open than 9-10. I get what you are saying, but it would potentially be more anti-climatic to open in the fall with a number of retailers and restaurants unable to be ready to open due to COVID, so the experience wouldn't be what it could be.

I can't say I'd blame a company to wait for a new opening until this is maybe over (or perceived to be over).  It's one thing for a current restaurant / retail to reopen (most want to reopen asap)...but for a new one to attempt to open during the year of a pandemic would be really tough.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2020 at 11:21 AM, titanhog said:

How tall is that glass?  30'?

OK so I did an estimate with ruler, assuming the guy on scissor lift at 5'10' and assuming 5000 kg/m^3 glass density: Glass plate 25' x 8.5'  x  4" x (1/12) ft/in = 71 ft^3 ... x 5000 kg/m^3  x  2.2 lbm/kg  x  (.305 m/ft)^3 = 22,000 lb. 

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, henburg said:

AllianceBernstein_LP.jpg?p=publish&w=950

The renderings made the coloring look much more subtle and the material much more translucent. I just don't really understand what was so complicated about the installation that made them redo it so many times. 

Yeah...the render looks 100% better than what they've actually got going on.

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...the render looks 100% better than what they've actually got going on.

They always seem to look way better than the actual building, but this is on a different level. Maybe someone can just paint over it with a massive mural.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Native said:

IMG_4196.thumb.jpg.fa86421a09eea81b31420f6cb460820d.jpg

IMG_4191.thumb.jpg.be45896c66e42d5f0cfee2904d81fe03.jpg

I agree the panels are certainly a bit saturated. I also agree with DDig that they appear to be trying to blend with the Renaissance as it is part of the built environment.  The first photo is a sort of reflection of the Renaissance growing out of the roof and then fading away towards the front and back of the garage. The second photo pulls the color of the Renaissance down to the ground from the high point and fades away into the glass.

Now the Boradway facade loses that concept a bit, as it functions more as a funnel to the connection of the office building to the pedestrian portion and the brown fade is just a consistency of color at that point.

This is what makes design so great though, I could have a totally different idea of what these panels are intended to do than what the design team wanted, but it's all about how it is perceived.

• Like 1