5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

2 hours ago, Native said:

Early on they were worried that this development would overshadow the Ryman Auditorium, but this shot demonstrates that not only is that worry no longer valid but the open walkway actually showcases the Ryman and connects to it.  Good job, Pat Emery and his architects!

That was my exact thought as I took this picture. I’d imagine that the intersection of Broadway Place and Rep John Lewis Way will become a very popular photo spot. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Native said:

You are right.  I thought about that after I posted the pictures.  The real "birthplace" of the Opry was the old National Life Building at 7th and Union where Goerge Hay held forth in the 20's.   But the Ryman was the "Mother Church" of Country Music, which is what I should have said.   Now that you have smoked me out and you are obviously an historian, I can point out how great it is to have the National Museum of African-American Music across the street from the Ryman because there were many significant African-American influences on what became Country and Western Music in the Twentieth Century.   Having these two institutions downtown should be an incredible draw for people interested in music all over the world.

I also love the proximity of the symphony hall and the country music hall of fame. It brings to mind the quote that gave the old WSM radio show its name...”For the past hour we have been listening to music largely from grand opera, but from now on we will present the Grand Ole Opry.” (Spoken by the “solemn old judge” George D. Hay in 1927.)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Why o why has the Arcade not done this? This is first class. Stunning. Walk out of this place in any direction, and the streets feel naked

This might be tough for the Arcade, but I suspect this is going to suck up a lot of their foot traffic. They're gonna need to finally invest in the place to try to compete. Who owns that place anyway? They've gotten by for years without doing anything simply because there hadn't been much competition - not anymore.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 2

I walked through the Arcade last thursday after leaving 5th and Broadway and there  might have been  50 people in the whole place.     Besides all of the state and office employees working from home during COVID, they had a tough time before that dealing with newer restaurants (Fairlane, Bobby, Noelle, etc) and Food Truck days every thursday on Deadrick (not sure if that is still happening).    The Arcade has needed a spruce up for years..........hopefully this is a wakeup call.

• Like 4

I thought the Arcade has become something of a collection of art galleries. I'm sure the walk-up eateries on the outside corners are still the same as they always were, but haven't the t-shirt shops and shoe repair places been replaced with galleries? 

For years I've heard that the Arcade ownership does not have the financial resources to do the massive renovations/restorations needed to make it more competitive. I do think that, if we ever get back to working downtown, the Arcade has a future. 5th & Broad will be a huge draw no doubt, but not everyone has the money to eat there everyday. And if it is as crowded as forecast, most workers won't have the time. If it can position itself as an inexpensive and quick option, it will be ok. But renovations are needed asap.

I think the pandemic has hurt the restaurants in the Arcade, but once it is over and people are back at work things will pick up. The Arcade has never been an evening destination. It has always been a lunch time place for the nearby State workers and other offices in the area. The exception is or was the Art Crawl on the 1st Saturday evening of the month.

Most all of the restaurants would close down mid afternoon or by 5 at the latest I think.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chris holman said:

Where else could the scale of 5& Broadway or similar retail work in downtown? Outside of Nashville Yards smeagolsfree.

There are plans for a fair amount as part of the Hensler Tower complex just to the NE of the Trolley Barns.  There will also be a retail plaza as part of Paseo South Gulch (Voorhees complex), but more concentrated.  I think eventually there should be a cluster of retail/restaurants  in the North Gulch along 11th and 12th Aves. North, dissected by Grundy and Porter Streets. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bnacincy said:

I think the Arcade needs to find a niche-I've been thinking maybe concentrate on more ethnic food offerings-they already have Greek,Ethiopian and Italian so why not reflect Nashville's international community in way that 5th and Broadway doesn't? How about some Kurdish,Eqyptian,Laotian,Vietnamese and Indian restaurants to complement what is already there?

Arcade management needs to do some serious recruiting-how about extended hours later in the evening with some walkup windows-it would make for a real streetfood atmosphere!

You have basically described the Food Court at the Farmers Market, which is a great place to go.   The Greek Touch in the Arcade closed a few years ago.   The original owners retired, and the name was kept for a year or so, but it wasnt the same.   That was my $5 and under, go to lunch place for a good 15 years.  

Edited by Bark At The Sun
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bark At The Sun said:

You have basically described the Food Court at the Farmers Market, which is a great place to go.   The Greek Touch in the Arcade closed a few years ago.   The original owners retired, and the name was kept for a year or so, but it wasnt the same.   That was my $5 and under, go to lunch place for a good 15 years.  

Yeah I just took a look at that-this is what happens if I don't get down there much!

I still think something  similar could work in the Arcade-the crucial issue is having enough people in downtown after 5 or 6pm-more residents would help but more tourists who are looking for alternatives to Lower Broadway would be good as well.

Edited by bnacincy
Content

49 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Yeah I just took a look at that-this is what happens if I don't get down there much!

I still think something  similar could work in the Arcade-the crucial issue is having enough people in downtown after 5 or 6pm-more residents would help but more tourists who are looking for alternatives to Lower Broadway would be good as well.

The Arcade is now surrounded by boutique hotels and Printer's Alley is a half block away. Frothy Monkey, Puckett's, Starbucks, Jimmy John's, Walgreens, and more on 5th plus more on 4th. How many more people do we need? This place is packed during the Art Crawl

I really see the Arcade as the key to having that area really take off. Including the alley. If the Arcade would take off, that would help create a district from 5th and B to the Arcade area that could be a game changer. I guess something to hope for in the future...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LA_TN said:

The Arcade is now surrounded by boutique hotels and Printer's Alley is a half block away. Frothy Monkey, Puckett's, Starbucks, Jimmy John's, Walgreens, and more on 5th plus more on 4th. How many more people do we need? This place is packed during the Art Crawl

I really see the Arcade as the key to having that area really take off. Including the alley. If the Arcade would take off, that would help create a district from 5th and B to the Arcade area that could be a game changer. I guess something to hope for in the future...

I guess I just want the arcade to put a few dollars into being prettier. Give me some non-gross flooring and fix the walls, refurbish other details. They don't have to throw multi-millions at it. Anyway, we digress.

• Like 4