5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

On 7/11/2017 at 6:30 PM, Jamie Hall said:

Locals might not get excited about H&M being downtown, but this will be big with tourists who come from areas where H&M has always been something they've heard about but have never seen. It's similar to how Hard Rock Cafe and Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville hardly appeal to locals, but out-of-towners love 'em.

It will be interesting to see if Fifth + Main goes for an overall high-end appeal with their food and retail or tries to keep it more blue-collar affordable.

100% agree. As Nashville moves further up the market into a top-tier city, or even further as a global city, these tentpoles are not only wanted, but expected. On the tourist end, I know that whenever I'm up working in NYC or Philly, I make a point to stop by Uni Qlo. Now THAT is a place to experience.

• Like 1

From The Tennessean:

The H&M store planned for the Fifth + Broadway project in downtown Nashville will employ about 30 people and carry that chain's collection for newborns to 14 years old.

Those were among new details that the Swedish fashion retailer provided in formally confirming plans to open the roughly 27,000-square-foot location in the fall of 2019. 

H&M said the store will offer a one-stop destination for clothing for the family — women, men and teens — along with separate "store within a store" sections for accessories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am shocked and stunned that you of all people posted obscenity on this board.:tw_scream:

Hahahahahaha. Ron, I'm just preaching to the choir.  This piece of garbage is an artistic sin for which there is no salvation!   Where are the flames of hell when you need them??  Again, sorry John. :D

I have to join the dissenting views and say I am OK with it.  We have had a significant amount of out of town visitors this summer so far and most felt it was interesting and different.  No one seemed to dislike it and I tend to agree.  I like it better than the one on the Cumberland, the unfinished roller coaster, but you will never please everybody.

• Like 3

The native flowers/grasses under Stix are looking really nice at the moment.  They are finally mature enough to blend with the sculpture and over the last couple of days have helped me to have a better appreciation for the Native American inspiration for the piece.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bhibbs said:

to me, I think if it just had better lighting it would make a world of difference. that is really my only gripe with it.

Agreed.  I'm actually fine with the design itself.  I'm just think the actual implementation was half-baked.  They should have used a material not prone to weathering, and they should have some more dramatic lighting schemes, like you said.  When I initially saw the first renderings I thought these were some sort of shiny artificial material lit by LEDs from the inside or something, so to discover that it's literally a bunch of big sticks lit by some can lights you could get at Home Depot, was quite a let down.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed.  I'm actually fine with the design itself.  I'm just think the actual implementation was half-baked.  They should have used a material not prone to weathering, and they should have some more dramatic lighting schemes, like you said.  When I initially saw the first renderings I thought these were some sort of shiny artificial material lit by LEDs from the inside or something, so to discover that it's literally a bunch of big sticks lit by some can lights you could get at Home Depot, was quite a let down.  

This is my exact gripe.  It could have been really impressive.  Painted electric poles is a bit underwhelming and definitely not going to weather that well.

• Like 2

They are sure clearing the rubble out quite quickly.  I wonder if they are planning on digging any deeper?  It's already about 20-25" below street level along Broadway, and even deeper going up the hill towards Commerce St.  Should be a great base for 3 or more levels of underground parking.

Am also curious about the office tower's foundation on the corner of 5th Ave. and Commerce.  How is it going to be built on top of the large ballroom and conference rooms being retained from the convention center for the Renaissance Hotel's use?  I marvel at engineering for things like this.