5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

7 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Are those food trucks on the roof? I know that shouldn't upset me, but it really does. Does Nashville have some new fascination with vehicles on roofs? Can we throw some pedal taverns up there for the bar? Maybe some Bird scooters for seats?

I think the food trucks in this project look idiotic, but the bus on the Bobby Hotel is one of my favorite quirks downtown now. It’s just so funny when you’re panning across the skyline and then all the sudden there’s a damn greyhound chilling up there. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

The office tower is pathetically designed now :( 

Looks kinda like 222 2nd ave, no?

16 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Are those food trucks on the roof? I know that shouldn't upset me, but it really does. Does Nashville have some new fascination with vehicles on roofs? Can we throw some pedal taverns up there for the bar? Maybe some Bird scooters for seats?

I think this is a design trend lately. Its the idea that a small enterprise is trying to make a name for themselves while being able to move around. My previous firm we designed a new food vendor in JFK airport that had 5 food trucks installed operating different food styles with one main cashier point.

Also, can someone tell me what the green median strip is doing in the model?? Is this actually part of the project??? And if it is, what are the "taking a lane away from the road" crowd saying about it?

Edited by Bos2Nash

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

I think this is a design trend lately. Its the idea that a small enterprise is trying to make a name for themselves while being able to move around. My previous firm we designed a new food vendor in JFK airport that had 5 food trucks installed operating different food styles with one main cashier point.

I still don't get it.     If the food trucks become installations inside the airport (or on the roof), they can't move around, so I guess the point is just to do something for the sake of being trendy.      The entrepreneurs still have to pay rent to set up shop in the installation food truck with their name on it.     I would bet they would much rather work out of a proper food stand than inside the tiny, cramped (and in the summer blazing hot) food truck.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Also, can someone tell me what the green median strip is doing in the model?? Is this actually part of the project??? And if it is, what are the "taking a lane away from the road" crowd saying about it?

That green median strip has been in the renderings from the beginning, as I recall. I haven't seen/heard any complaints yet, but that doesn't mean there are none.

43 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Isn't Broadway State Hwy 70?

It is State Route 24 (unsigned) and US Route 70.

43 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Would that mean TDOT would have to approve removing a traffic lane? 

Yes, but TDOT is relatively permissive of road diets and other reconfigurations, especially for state routes in municipalities. They recently added guidance for this to their design guidelines, which you can see here:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/roadway-design/documents/instructional-bulletins/2018/IB_18_05.pdf

The bottom line is that the requesting agency (i.e., Metro) only has to show that the reconfiguration meets TDOT design standards and has a reasonable level of service through the design horizon. This would not be difficult on lower Broadway which has more than enough width for any type of improvement and an AADT that could be accommodated by a two-lane roadway.

21 minutes ago, AronG said:

TDOT involvement on broadway has been a complete mess. The biggest no-brainer improvement to Nashville's public space is sitting there caught up in the muck because of state-level involvement. It's like 90 feet of public ROW, descended on by hordes of pedestrians, but only a tiny fringe is allocated to actual humans. Instead we preserve a stupid # of lanes for vehicles, half of which are circling the block trying to find the cheapest parking garage. Any other city in the world would have put in massive pedestrian improvements and amenities by now but we're still squabbling over the first tiny steps. Grr...

It's not clear that TDOT has done anything to obstruct improvements to Broadway. In the past, they have been supportive of changes to state roadways by Metro (cf. the Amp).

The state additionally has grant programs available for multimodal improvements of exactly this type:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/multimodal-transportation-resources/multimodal-access-grant.html

They only have to be spearheaded by municipalities and their applicable MPO, which makes sense as the city is the primary stakeholder in multimodal traffic.

Any dissatisfaction over the cross-section on Broadway is on Metro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

It's not clear that TDOT has done anything to obstruct improvements to Broadway. In the past, they have been supportive of changes to state roadways by Metro (cf. the Amp).

Any dissatisfaction over the cross-section on Broadway is on Metro.

A year ago Metro proposed to take ownership of Broadway from TDOT to "untangle the bureaucratic approval process for upgrades" (https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/08/31/metro-might-take-over-broadway-nashvilles-downtown-thouroughfare-from-tdot/619914001/). At the time, they (Metro) announced that the process "will become much more formalized in the next few months." Since then, crickets. I'd love to understand where the hangup is, but it certainly seems like TDOT is dragging their feet. Metro has repeatedly demonstrated an interest and motivation to move forward with the badly needed upgrades (and get rid of the crappy temporary metal railing that we've had up for years now).

For reference here are the upgrades proposed by Metro Planning in 2016: 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, AronG said:

A year ago Metro proposed to take ownership of Broadway from TDOT to "untangle the bureaucratic approval process for upgrades" (https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/08/31/metro-might-take-over-broadway-nashvilles-downtown-thouroughfare-from-tdot/619914001/). At the time, they (Metro) announced that the process "will become much more formalized in the next few months." Since then, crickets. I'd love to understand where the hangup is, but it certainly seems like TDOT is dragging their feet. Metro has repeatedly demonstrated an interest and motivation to move forward with the badly needed upgrades (and get rid of the crappy temporary metal railing that we've had up for years now).

For reference here are the upgrades proposed by Metro Planning in 2016: 

The lower Broadway Bar/Property Owners put a stop to the more pedestrian friendly plan. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/07/11/nashville-downtown-lower-broadway-tourists-music-city/465595001/