5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

I couldn't help but think of FromParkAvetoTN when I read this paragraph;

"Emery would not rule out the potential to include two elements that were not present in the team's bid late last year: A boutique hotel, and some high-end living space, likely apartments. That, in turn, would impact what type of retailers Emery and his team target."

• Like 1

I'm confused on how this project can go from $230M with the initial design, to $350-500M and lose half the height of the office tower. That's a HUGE jump in cost! My question is, what is all that extra money going towards if the tower is shrinking? 

By the way, those are some huge numbers being thrown around for the cost of this project. That's getting close to the cost of the MCC. I wouldn't be so sure yet that this will be a let down. From reading the article there could be a residential tower (or two) and a hotel component added to this as well. While it's possible the office tower portion could be shorter then originally planned, there very well could be a some other towers (residential) with some significant height now. I think we should wait till we see some new designs before we jump to conclusions. 

Edited by mirydi

• 4 weeks later...

This certainly has been a good week again. I look for the announcements to keep coming and, no I don't know what. It is just that we are almost to a point  that different developments are starting to feed on each other. In other words, if the economy holds out, we are in a boom of historic proportions for Nashville.

If you read between the lines in a lot of these news stories coming out, you can bet there is a lot more to come. Yes, I do hear lots of rumors, but no where near the amount of things that are probably brewing just under the surface.

• Like 3

I'm not sure ParkAve is going to be so excited about this. I think this is hipster-chic, while I believe he is more of a high-fashion type of guy. I could be wrong though.

BUT, this could be a catalyst to a retail revolution. But then again, I thought that about American Apparel, Urban Outfitters and Goorin Bros., none of which really sparked a fire.

It would be NICE to have about 5 stories of retail shopping here plus a nice tower, 30+ stories. The foot traffic around this site is staggering; for a site that currently doesn't have anything there. Strong retail (think Cool Springs or Green Hills Mall type of stores or even nicer) would make this a true urban shopping destination. With the proposed museum and (unfortunately) plenty of parking, this development could lure retail and restaurants that would rival the Gulch, etc. to transform the CBD into being the hottest destination in town. Hopefully, there will not be a hotel with this development

Vino! Vino! Vino!

This (along with the mythical Federal Courthouse) are by far the 2 largest 'must have' items for the CBD to move forward with any speed. 

I saw today where they were paving the recently demolished Hewgly's music Store building on the proposed courthouse lot for an apparent parking lot. So much for any impending construction.

I hear what you are saying, but I hold to hope. Since it is the Federal government I can easily see them spending the money to pave an abandoned lot and then dig it up the next week to construct the Fed. Courthouse.... not likely but then again...... ha

It would be NICE to have about 5 stories of retail shopping here plus a nice tower, 30+ stories. The foot traffic around this site is staggering; for a site that currently doesn't have anything there. Strong retail (think Cool Springs or Green Hills Mall type of stores or even nicer) would make this a true urban shopping destination. With the proposed museum and (unfortunately) plenty of parking, this development could lure retail and restaurants that would rival the Gulch, etc. to transform the CBD into being the hottest destination in town. Hopefully, there will not be a hotel with this development

Vino! Vino! Vino!

Love the thought of this. This central strip of downtown sorely needs some height from at least one property.

Interesting: When this was first proposed, people were concerned that a 20-30 story tower here would ruin/block the downtown skyline from the south. Now that Bridgestone may have interest in a tower at this site, people hope a 40-50 story tower is built here

Salamat

I never understood the opposition to some height here. Coming in from the East side everyday, I've always lamented the "canyon" dividing our skyline due to the historic properties lining Broadway. Properly developing this site could be a tremendous addition to our city simply because if nothing else, it will unify our skyline and make it look as dense as it actually is.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 1

If true, this news means that Emery will be starting on the "skyline altering" office tower at the old CC site.  I'm sorry, but the article says between 12 and 30 stories... 30 yes... 12, I beg to differ. However, the dip in the skyline at Broadway and size of this proposal would certainly create a wide-scraper if only 12 stories.  I think Mr. Emery owes it to Nashville to create a new tallest there. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/09/emery-lands-money-extension-for-convention-center.html?page=all

• Like 2