5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

On 6/11/2019 at 7:47 PM, BnaBreaker said:

I'm sure I'll come off as the bad guy here for even bringing this up, and that's fine, but part of what I love about this forum is not just the informational aspect but also the people here.  And perhaps it's just my personality, but I love interacting with and joking with and conversing with and getting to know the people here, because that's what makes this place special... is this community full of interesting people like you.  You may see it as "inane blather"... I see it as connecting with friends.  If our discussions are going to be so tightly policed and restricted only to stone-faced  analytical discussion, it kinda takes a lot of the joy out of it for me.  If all I wanted was development news I could just read the Nashville Business Journal everyday, ya know?  Anyway... that's my two cents.  I'll shut up now... if this is the way it has to be then back to the crickets, I guess.  :dunno:

I knew this was the problem with this place. I'm glad someone actually came out and confirmed it. This is why this particular messageboard has such nauseatingly repetitive over the top caterwauling. Everyone in the bubble is trying to either impress each other or over the top each other for "socializing" reasons. Pretty sad. Other messageboards on and off this forum don't have the need for the "socializing" thing. Hence they don't have the imbecilic caterwauling. Wonder why this particular forum is such an outlier?

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

^^Yeah...it’s weird...I’ve used Apple products and been an Amazon Prime member for more than 10 years...yet both companies sometimes feel like “big, mean corporate bullies”...and yet I get really excited when an Amazon HQ and an Apple store decides to come downtown.  They’ve got me all confused! :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Ingram said:

I knew this was the problem with this place. I'm glad someone actually came out and confirmed it. This is why this particular messageboard has such nauseatingly repetitive over the top caterwauling. Everyone in the bubble is trying to either impress each other or over the top each other for "socializing" reasons. Pretty sad. Other messageboards on and off this forum don't have the need for the "socializing" thing. Hence they don't have the imbecilic caterwauling. Wonder why this particular forum is such an outlier?

I can almost guarantee you that I didn't mean what you think I meant haha... but thanks nonetheless for your input, which is all I was trying to encourage... I wasn't trying to rile anyone up or disrespect anyone, but just ask a question in the hopes that it would start a real conversation on a minor forum issue that pops up from time to time, but that we never really seem to fully address or suss out.  In any case, I've given my two cents, so I'll leave it there.  

8 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

It definitely would add some legitimacy to Broadway besides honky tonks if it was an apple store. That level of retail coming to Broadway would definitely raise some eye brows of higher end stores. 

"With sales per square foot viewed as a major component of retail success, according to industry data provided by eMarkter, the #1 retailer in sales per square foot is Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL), which did a staggering $5,546 per square foot. Having launched the first iPhone 10 years ago, it's speculated that this next milestone iteration of the iconic product could produce Apple's strongest sales to date."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/retails-most-profitable-square-footage-636947493.html

I'm not sure that Broadway is really an ideal location for high end retail, but I agree that an Apple store would really raise the profile of downtown with respect to retailers, and put it on their radar as a location for potential expansion.  If nothing else, it will just be nice to finally get some badly needed retail diversity downtown that isn't a boot warehouse or convenience store.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'm not sure that Broadway is really an ideal location for high end retail, but I agree that an Apple store would really raise the profile of downtown with respect to retailers, and put it on their radar as a location for potential expansion.  If nothing else, it will just be nice to finally get some badly needed retail diversity downtown that isn't a boot warehouse or convenience store.  

I don’t disagree with you, but if Apple wanted to be downtown and it NOT be ok Broadway, where would it go? 

My guess would either be Four Seasons by Pedesitrian bridge / Ascend Amphitheater, or Nashville Yards. 

Neither of those locations are as prominent as 5th and Broadway, howeve. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I don’t disagree with you, but if Apple wanted to be downtown and it NOT be ok Broadway, where would it go? 

My guess would either be Four Seasons by Pedesitrian bridge / Ascend Amphitheater, or Nashville Yards. 

Neither of those locations are as prominent as 5th and Broadway, howeve. 

Yeah, I think the most appropriate places for any future high end retail are probably yet to be built... Nashville Yards seems like an obvious choice.  And to clarify, I wasn't saying that an Apple store would be out of place in this development, just that this particular stretch of Broadway doesn't strike me as a good location for a collection of future high end retail to locate.  I dunno... Kid Rock's big ass trailer park donkey bar (or whatever it's called lol) and Prada on the same street?  That doesn't compute in my head.  lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ingram said:

caterwauling...twice?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Plus...don't underestimate the demographics of the people who frequent LoBro.  It's not toothless hillbillies with no money.  These are people coming to spend money...and if we have some shops down there that they don't have back at home, they're going to go in there and buy something just to be able to go home and brag about it.

That's right. I always think of the convention families that come in town which there are a lot of. They can't honky tonk all day. Give them somewhere in walking distance to most of the hotels to spend and they will.

• Like 3

I should note that my complaint wasn't that Apple was too high-end for that area -- and yes, maybe this will be the start of more retail destinations from that part of Broadway west toward Nashville Yards and the Gulch, while the bars can have Lower Broadway.

My concern/wish is that the prime 5th + Main corner spot be something with more universal appeal -- less than half of all smartphone users use Apple products. So it could be argued that half of all people who pass an Apple store have no reason to utilize the location. Apple, in my mind, is a specialty retailer.

Having said that, I have no doubt that the Apple store will be flashy and a very, very popular place for Apple fans. The rest of us will just sit back and wait for future retail to follow Apple's lead.

I have no interest in this post.  Why did you not read my mind in order to know that I would have no interest in this post?  In the future you should read my mind and know whether or not I will have an interest in your post.   After that, read the minds of every one else here to see if they personally have an interest in your post before posting.  If after reading every individual's mind you find even one person who lacks an interest in your post you should immediately refrain from posting that thought.  I find things that don't interest me to be an irritant, and rather than just simply choosing to not engage with things that don't interest me, I would rather eliminate all irritants by attempting to shut down all conversations that don't interest me, and then criticize the people engaging in those conversations for not knowing of my irritants ahead of time.   From this point forward I expect all posts here to be centered around what I want to see.  

I get your point... I apologize if it appeared that I do not respect your point of view, and would never want to dissuade anyone from being able to share theirs.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1