5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

12 hours ago, ariesjow said:

Uniqlo would be a great alternative to H&M. They provide the full range of fast fashion like H&M, but their clothing tends to be better in quality and tailoring, IMO.  I don't think they have entered Nashville-sized markets stateside yet, though. 

Here's their Magnificent Mile store in Chicago. 

1280px-Uniqlo_Chicago.jpg

I couldn't agree more! They definitely go into places MUCH smaller than Nashville (like Murfreesboro or Clarksville even) and their head to head sales are destroying H&M, Forever 21, and the likes. But they are a Japanese brand without name recognition in the USA and their USA sales have not been a smash hit, to date. The exposure they would get here in 5th & Broadway would be huge for them

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I couldn't agree more! They definitely go into places MUCH smaller than Nashville (like Murfreesboro or Clarksville even) and their head to head sales are destroying H&M, Forever 21, and the likes. But they are a Japanese brand without name recognition in the USA and their USA sales have not been a smash hit, to date. The exposure they would get here in 5th & Broadway would be huge for them

There is a Uniqlo in Clarksville and Murfreesboro?

21 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

But those towns are in major metro areas.

OK, last try:

Uniqlo currently has stores in towns with populations as small as 100,000

My attempt to use local cities for size comparison did not so work well. Sorry for any confusion

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/08/12/food-hall-for-450m-downtown-project-reveals-new.html

Looks like the H&M spot is being taken by two tenants, and the ll agent is describing them as food/beverage/entertainment establishments. A little disappointing considering we have no shortage of those options. 

Edited by subkyle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, subkyle said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/08/12/food-hall-for-450m-downtown-project-reveals-new.html

Looks like the H&M spot is being taken by two tenants, and the ll agent is describing them as food/beverage/entertainment establishments. A little disappointing considering we have no shortage of those options. 

Certainly disappointing. I would've settled for an Old Navy or Gap before more food and entertainment joints. I really thought H&M would have been a big draw in that spot.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BNXS said:

Are we still rather certain Apple will occupy the corner spot? I can't imagine something as elite as an Apple Store surrounded by so many food (and not likely 'quality' food options at that) and entertainment options, and not much else!

They likely paid to have the corner building torn down, so I’d be surprised if they pulled out now. According to the article, there is still 25% of the space left to rent out, so we could still see some other options pop up. 

6 hours ago, subkyle said:

Yes....we've been hoping this development would be full of great new retail for downtown...but so far, there's been very little retail announced...mostly food / entertainment.  Where's the retail?

• Like 1

Per the Tennessean  - Desano Pizzeria, Zulema’s Taqueria and NoBaked Cookie Dough are the newest tenant announcements for the upcoming Assembly Food Hall. 

I don't see anything regarding the new tenant replacing  H&M. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/08/12/desano-pizzeria-and-more-coming-nashville-fifth-broadway/1985623001/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Like we need more restaurants.  What about soft goods? There are no places restarant wise I have any desire to visit on Lower Broad. Looks like the trend will continue as I may visit the food hall once and that will be it.

I agree.  I thought this development was going to have maybe 30-40 new retail shops and would really turn the corner for Nashville, as far as retail goes.  Are we just having a hard time getting retailers to buy in?

• Like 1

Food/beverage generally pays higher rents then retail. Also, traditional retailers are having a hard time these days. I think after a successful first year, things will shake out and some restaurants will fail and be replaced with retailers. It depends on how fast all the new office buildings/apartments get built though.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

Even a return of Dollar General would offer a place for buying toothpaste, deodorant, toilet paper, and other household necessities. (But a Target certainly would be a hit.)

I’m not suggesting that Dollar General should go into 5+Bway, but in some more removed corner of downtown, perhaps.

Edited by donNdonelson2
  • Like 1

One thing I've seen little discussion on is the effect "Assembly Food Hall" will have on the Arcade. The Arcade is great architecture but has looked run down for pretty much the entire 20+ years I've worked downtown. I've bought literally thousands of lunches there but sat down to eat inside the space maybe a dozen times. For me, it's not a great experience. The new food hall will be bright, shiny and new and lots of regular downtown workers  will go there. The price point will be higher, but a lot of people go to the Arcade because it's the been the only game in town, not totally based on prices. I also think the new food hall will have "reasonably" priced lunch options.

How many of the Arcade food spots can weather the 6 month downturn in sales as many flock to try out the new options? I don't think the Arcade will close, it has a lot of fans, but I've spent 20 years wondering how great it could be with ownership that had the resources to invest in it properly. - Just one opinion.....

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 3