5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

On 8/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, DDIG said:

I actually get what they were going for as the full branding is The Place at Fifth + Broadway. Basically you can come up with a fancy name for the apartments if you want but everyone is just going to say they live at “Fifth + Broadway” so I think they are leaning into that.

Anyone know when pricing and info will be released for floor plans? It's all rental units right?

I'm really disappointed the city would elect to put the African American muesum in this particular development. In the most segregated part of the city. Really!!! Most African Americans don't  even go downtown on Broadway.  It's too bad that I'll never get to see it because of its location.  Perhaps the decision to put it here was purposefully intended for us not to see it.  I guess Google will have to do on this muesum, because I won't be going down there.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8

49 minutes ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I'm really disappointed the city would elect to put the African American muesum in this particular development. In the most segregated part of the city. Really!!! Most African Americans don't  even go downtown on Broadway.  It's too bad that I'll never get to see it because of its location.  Perhaps the decision to put it here was purposefully intended for us not to see it.  I guess Google will have to do on this muesum, because I won't be going down there.

Yeah... yeah that was definitely it.... OR.... perhaps they wanted to put it in the most centralized, highly-visible, heavily trafficked, music-oriented location they could find in the city... naw... you're right, their goal was definitely trying to hide it from African-Americans, because they don't have google maps, I guess.  :dunno:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Say what? Do you let others make you feel you're not 'worthy' of going somewhere?  Seems you're looking for a reason not to go there. I'm 1/8 African and I'll be there very soon after it opens. Nobody's going to keep me from going anywhere (legal, of course) I want. 

Enjoy... Google and YouTube will work for me. I'm not going on Broadway. Besides, I've been to the African American muesums in D.C., Chicago,  Memphis,  Atlanta,  Savannah,  etc. So, I don't think I'll  be missing out. Unfortunately,  most of my friends, family,  and acquaintances feel the same way.

Edited by FromParkAveToTN
  • Confused 1

Broadway is where the music tourism is in Nashville, and where the other museums are. So this African American Music Museum in Nashville would naturally be here too. Actually, the new museum will probably be segregated, with musicians from a single race being celebrated. But I guess that's ok these day?

Where as the museum down the road, the Country Music Hall of Fame, actually celebrates Country musicians of all races, with a host of black stars covered in detail.  This article  from the Chicago Tribune has some interesting background on the topic.  I invite you to read it. A snippit:

In the insular world of country music, Bailey, the first African-American to star in the Grand Ole Opry, is accepted as the man who inspired its name. But it wasn't until his death in 1982 at 82 that he received recognition for his 15 years as one of the show's biggest talents.

In his honor, Warner Bros. commissioned a mural of memorable black figures in country music. The mayor of Nashville unveiled a plaque, and a monument was placed on his grave. But Bailey has yet to receive what many African-Americans believe he deserves most: induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame. No African-American, not even Charley Pride, one of country music's most revered superstars during the 1970s, has been granted that honor.

To many African-Americans who grew up on country, recognition of the hundreds of blacks who contributed to the creation and growth of the country-music genre has been too slow in coming. Recently, efforts have been made in Nashville to debunk the myth that black people and country music don't mix.

Also check look into the outreach that the Country Music Hall of Fame does to the community. A diverse community

• Like 1

Guys, while I disagree about his assertion that the NMAAM is poorly located on Broadway, FromParkAveToTN does have a fair point that some people of color don't find the Broadway environment to be particularly welcoming for a host of reasons. I've personally spoken to both new residents and visitors alike about this before multiple times and have seen tweets go viral from prominent black people on social media visiting our downtown that had no intention on ever visiting again. It's one of the reasons that you'll notice me continuously stressing and supporting expansion our entertainment offerings downtown beyond country music tourism with developments such as NMAAM.  This is not something that we should continuously ignore just because it's an uncomfortable subject to broach. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, titanhog said:

It’s weird that someone complains and says they won’t attend a new music museum focused on diversity because it’s going to be in a part of town that lacks diversity.  Seems like a no-win situation for those trying to make the area more diverse.

Without trying to read too much into FromParkAveToTN's thought process, I suspect that he's being a little pessimistic and fearing that NMAAM will be a tough sell specifically to black audiences in its current location. However, I tend to agree with you that we must start somewhere in increasing the variety of our downtown entertainment offerings and plopping  NMAAM at the end of Lower Broadway seems like a strong opportunity for Nashville if we manage to play our cards right. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 3