5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

22 minutes ago, titanhog said:

It’s weird that someone complains and says they won’t attend a new music museum focused on diversity because it’s going to be in a part of town that lacks diversity.  Seems like a no-win situation for those trying to make the area more diverse.

Yeah. Isn't that part of the point of the Museum? To capture the most attendance possible to make it a success and educate people on African Americans overwhelming influence on all music.

The location is imperative to the success of the Museum. The natural foot traffic driven at this location will in turn drive revenue for the Museum allowing it to flourish. While it may be more culturally significant on somewhere like Jefferson Street, that's an area that garners little to no tourist foot traffic, so the location would be in an attendance desert. Certainly locals will check out the museum, but you aren't going to the same museum every weekend. You have to capture Nashville's 15 million tourists (most of which spend 95% of their time on Broadway) and make it easy for them to pop in to really thrive, and I think the goal here is to make the museum thrive and flourish.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, ariesjow said:

Without trying to read too much into FromParkAveToTN's thought process, I suspect that he's being a little pessimistic and fearing that NMAAM will be a tough sell specifically to black audiences in its current location. However, I tend to agree with you that we must start somewhere in increasing the variety of our downtown entertainment offerings and plopping  NMAAM at the end of Lower Broadway seems like a strong opportunity for Nashville if we manage to play our cards right. 

And I'm pretty sure many of the AA leaders in this city actually wanted the NMAAM in that location as a way to help "desegregate" a part of downtown that could use some diversity.  Seems I read that somewhere.  If not...my mistake. 

44 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Yeah. Isn't that part of the point of the Museum? To capture the most attendance possible to make it a success and educate people on African Americans overwhelming influence on all music.

The location is imperative to the success of the Museum. The natural foot traffic driven at this location will in turn drive revenue for the Museum allowing it to flourish. While it may be more culturally significant on somewhere like Jefferson Street, that's an area that garners little to no tourist foot traffic, so the location would be in an attendance desert. Certainly locals will check out the museum, but you aren't going to the same museum every weekend. You have to capture Nashville's 15 million tourists (most of which spend 95% of their time on Broadway) and make it easy for them to pop in to really thrive, and I think the goal here is to make the museum thrive and flourish.

AND...never underestimate the fact that a majority of today's country music fans who travel to Lower Broad are / have been influenced heavily by African American music and will jump at the chance to attend the museum.  Heck...the #1 Billboard country song for the past 7 weeks is by an African American artist.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, rolly said:

Can we tell how close we are to 34 stories on that residential tower? I wonder when they will top out. 

It looks like they are doing great on getting the glass installed. 

It’s topped out, just finishing up the mechanics section of the roof and working up the rest of the tower with glass. 

Now we watch the office tower rise. 

• Like 3