5th & Broadway | 501 Commerce | NMAAM | 34 story apt, 26 story office, + 183,000 sq. ft. of Retail

MidTenn1

2 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

Yes, I have something for office buildings. Lol

No, I getcha lol.

Someone here described the residential portion of the project as "elegant", which is a spot on description, imo - it's turned out great. Here's to hoping the office tower does, too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Apple Store update.

Looking NW from intersection of Broadway and 5th Ave:

I wonder if Apple gets any part of the rest of the building. Usually Apple stores have a rather large back of house set up for repairs and inventory don't they? Maybe it's larger than the photo lets on.

18 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

Any word on what might fill that prominent retail spot that's been left open by H&M? A prominent spot like that surely isn't cheap.

I recall reading somewhere that several restaurants were taking the space.  No specifics as to which restaurants yet, as far as I know.

37 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I cant help but feel sourly disappointed in this at the moment. I am by no means a height fanatic, but this corner portion should have gone up to the parapets of the roof deck. Unless I am missing something entirely, this just feels like such a waste :tw_cry:.

Unless I am missing some form of activation of the roof of the store, I dont see why this is the entire massing.

I’m not sure if it’s still the plan, but wasn’t the original building supposed to have activation on the roof? 

• Like 1

Apple has been doing lots of things with plants/trees in their stores lately and activating areas around their stores. Maybe there will be some kind of outdoor music area.

It would be pretty disappointing if they came in with boring store that has been done in other places. 

https://www.apple.com/retail/michiganavenue/ Places with just a roof can look pretty stunning though. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 1.11.34 PM.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.apple.com/retail/michiganavenue/ Places with just a roof can look pretty stunning though. 

And those roofs look like a laptop from above, which is at least kind of cool.  Though I still hope they activate the roof space for performances or whatever.  

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/22/roof-of-chicagos-north-michigan-ave-apple-store-resembles-macbook-air-lid

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Apple has been doing lots of things with plants/trees in their stores lately and activating areas around their stores. Maybe there will be some kind of outdoor music area.

It would be pretty disappointing if they came in with boring store that has been done in other places. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 1.11.34 PM.png

The most eye-catching thing about this building... is the building behind it.  Too many people today (many of them quite influential in local government and development) have forgotten why the International "glass box" was so popular at first. It reflected the buildings around it. Nowadays, in the largest cities, there are glass boxes everywhere; so it becomes a hall of mirrors. I personally think Bridgestone Arena is ugly... but its place right next to the brick history of Broadway is (IMHO) very cool, as if a spaceship landed in a quaint country town. Emery's first proposal for the old CC site was a dud... a flop... primarily because it was just more glass box with the overpowering incongruities of what was at that time the next great bleeding edge in architecture like the fugly monstrosity proposed for Louisville at the time. A Times Square facade of light and glass was totally out of context to Broadway, especially after Bridgestone was established. So fortunately, someone was wise to add the foodcourt lowrise building with different roof heights. I think the Apple store fits in a little for that reason, but overall it will be a building that people will tend to look past, unless they have a need for an Apple product. Granted, there will be a lot of that... but I expect no one will be gawking at the architecture of that one. Of course, it's next to the 1950s charm of Legend's Corner. Broadway will survive this... LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Noticed last week when I went through a CFA here in Chatty... I actually did NOT hear "my pleasure" at all.  Rather weird. They must be chaffing from the flack... but I say, keep it going. It's a distinction that people associate with them now. Funny thing... my kids still refer to CFI as "Pleasure Palace".  Not sure where they got that, but it fits. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Noticed last week when I went through a CFA here in Chatty... I actually did NOT hear "my pleasure" at all.  Rather weird. They must be chaffing from the flack... but I say, keep it going. It's a distinction that people associate with them now. Funny thing... my kids still refer to CFI as "Pleasure Palace".  Not sure where they got that, but it fits. 

They say it now at Cook Out, AKA The Poor Man's Chick-fil-A™

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

The most eye-catching thing about this building... is the building behind it.

That's why the design works in that photo and doesn't work at Fifth + Broadway. It needs to be located in an open plaza, not in a corner in the shadow of a large, monolithic development. People are concerned about the Apple design looking out of place on Broadway but if the renders do it justice it's going to regardless.

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

That's why the design works in that photo and doesn't work at Fifth + Broadway. It needs to be located in an open plaza, not in a corner in the shadow of a large, monolithic development. People are concerned about the Apple design looking out of place on Broadway but if the renders do it justice it's going to regardless.

Have we seen any renders yet, did I miss some?