NEW VB Soccer Club

jeffconn

From the website of the National Premier Soccer League:

http://www.npslvirginiabeach.com/index.php/component/content/article/78-sample-data-articles/demo/slides/108-the-npsl-comes-to-virginia-beach

The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is proud to announce that NPSL Virginia Beach has joined the league as an expansion team.  They will begin play in the Mid-Atlantic Conference of the South Region in 2014. 

The new Virginia Beach club will play at the Sportsplex, and will be coached by Brian Hinkey, who coached the Norfolk SharX during their only season playing indoor soccer at Scope. This club will have no relation to the Virginia Beach Piranhas, who are still chugging along, and played their home matches at the Sportsplex, as well.

Some grand plans, but I have my doubts as to the viability of the new club. For starters, announcing a club 6 months before the season doesn't give you a lot of time to get your name out there, and get people excited and buying season tickets. Secondly, playing at the Sportsplex is a big expense for a new club that will probably not have good attendance numbers in their first season. Even though neither the Piranhas nor the new club will admit it, there will probably be a lot of confusion about the two clubs, especially if both are sporting the name "Virginia Beach", and are playing at the same venue. Also, i have to wonder if the Mariners fiasco hasn't soured people around here to minor league pro soccer.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of the minor league baseball team that's supposed to play somewhere in VB, I think near the Sportsplex. Given that team is a step below AAA (the Tides' affiliation), doesn't this still set up the possibility of the two teams bumping heads with talent and a fanbase?

The Mariners never really drew large crowds, I dunno how the Pirhanas do, so of course I'm not sure about this.

I'm obviously dreaming high here, but I know there are soccer fans around here, and the Sportsplex was initially built with the intent of eventually luring an MLS team. Would love to see someone with deep pockets put the master plan together to expand the stadium, and put in an MLS bid, instead of another minor league team.

This reminds me of the minor league baseball team that's supposed to play somewhere in VB, I think near the Sportsplex. Given that team is a step below AAA (the Tides' affiliation), doesn't this still set up the possibility of the two teams bumping heads with talent and a fanbase?

The Mariners never really drew large crowds, I dunno how the Pirhanas do, so of course I'm not sure about this.

I'm obviously dreaming high here, but I know there are soccer fans around here, and the Sportsplex was initially built with the intent of eventually luring an MLS team. Would love to see someone with deep pockets put the master plan together to expand the stadium, and put in an MLS bid, instead of another minor league team.

VB NPSL claims that they will be a pro club, so there shouldn't be competition for players.

The Piranhas draw somewhere around 500 fans a match, which is fine for them, because they are an amateur club that is mostly college players on summer break. The Piranhas don't make a lot of money, but then they don't lose a ton either. Very manageable expenses. 

BTW, There will also be a NPSL club in Williamsburg this summer. 'Virginia Legacy' will probably play at W&M's soccer stadium. So, you have to wonder if fans on the Peninsula will just watch soccer on that side of the HRBT. The NPSL team will have to compete with the Piranhas, the Tides, and the Legacy for the sports fans' dollars. 

Archived