Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

15 hours ago, Icetera said:

For a third of the property the office structure can fit directly in the view-shed.   Even with it not completely blocking, a lot of view-shed will be lost to the North and East, though the Manchester bridge and city core should be unobstructed.  Also, how much of Norfolk-Southern turnaround track was there for the now removed industry?  Given that a lot of that rail has been ripped up, in time, could they sell that land to a developer and just leave the through tracks to the yard and West?

image.thumb.png.2408631f97a9eb6595701216d3e1ce7e.pngThis is the view I would think would be valuable, I don't see the future office building blocking that. Also I'm pretty sure they are using these train tracks currently. They connect east and west of these and continue to follow the James.

Either way, I like the idea of houses here, makes the high end ones next to this property feel less out of place. 

4 hours ago, Hike said:

South Falls 2.jpg

Canal Walk - Google Maps.jpg

A new neighbor for this growing section of Manchester.

Where did this even come from?  Source?  I can’t believe I missed this.  Isn’t this supposed to be the location of the 16-story residential towers?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hike said:

14 floors. Stuffs out there if you're in it.  Drawings are generated by architects, sent out to review, passed around to GC's, subcontractors, engineers, builders,  all the building trades.

Well, touché!  Nice researching and great find!  Just wonder if it will be the final design. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Wow!  This is significantly different than the last proposal that they were considering that we saw.  Perhaps this is why it is taking so long to get started (a design overhaul).  Would love to see them break ground this spring...at least the residential portion.  Overall, I like it!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

Pic taken today. Significant amount of demo has already occurred!

IMG_20190309_114859.jpg

This is great news and an even more awesome photo!! Thanks for posting!  Should see a tower crane over this development in the near future!

I’m relieved to see this project finally moving forward!  Feel free to post more photos whenever you can!

That silo in the background is such an eyesore though. 

Edited by eandslee

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

That silo in the background is such an eyesore though. 

The Southern States silo could be incorporated into a pretty interesting mixed use high rise.   Its contours would make for some unique spaces while paying homage to  Manchester's industrial past.

• Like 3

There was talk of condos in the silos about 15 years ago....

The site of the two new buildings (5-6 floors office/ apartments) on the east side of Hull Street has a shiny sign up with a large rendering of the buildings.  I think it is called the Current? They are pictured in a post a page or so back in this thread.  I think this sign is new (just noticed it Thursday).   Hopefully that’s starting really soon too.  I really, really like the looks of these two.  

Manchester will be unrecognizable in two years. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2019 at 11:56 AM, Brent114 said:

There was talk of condos in the silos about 15 years ago....

The site of the two new buildings (5-6 floors office/ apartments) on the east side of Hull Street has a shiny sign up with a large rendering of the buildings.  I think it is called the Current? They are pictured in a post a page or so back in this thread.  I think this sign is new (just noticed it Thursday).   Hopefully that’s starting really soon too.  I really, really like the looks of these two.  

Manchester will be unrecognizable in two years. 

^This is so true.  I was in Manchester last summer and I couldn't believe the changes!  It was awesome then!  With these new projects coming online soon, the place is going to be SUPER awesome! 

Yeah, The Current should be breaking ground soon.  It also has an office component to it.  I imagine Manchester bustling in the not too distant future!

Condos...the place needs condos though...need to see some private investment, not just apartments (rentals).  When we see condos go up, then we will know that the downtown area (to include Manchester) has turned the corner!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2018 at 3:15 PM, Hike said:

180514_512_Hull_St_25__Pricing_Set_Full - Copy.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this project?  I saw it in this thread on 5 October, but I don't know much about it.  I tried to do an Internet search for it, but came up with nothing.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Is this project definite?  If so, when will it break ground? 

I certainly like the height for this area of town.

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Does anyone know anything about this project?  I saw it in this thread on 5 October, but I don't know much about it.  I tried to do an Internet search for it, but came up with nothing.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Is this project definite?  If so, when will it break ground? 

I certainly like the height for this area of town.

I know it was Port RVA 2, and was announced about 2 years ago. I am not sure of the status. I haven't seen anything in a while.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2017/05/15/12-story-tower-proposed-for-manchester/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 10:22 AM, rjp212 said:

106 Townhomes and a commercial plot coming to Manchester.   There’s now construction planned on all 4 corners of the Cowardin/Seemes intersection.  Definitely will be a new gateway to Southside!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/01/31/106-townhomes-planned-manchester/

Demolition has begun!

http://dogtowndish.com/2019/03/28/allegheny-warehouse-demolition-kicks-off/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know. I think it's a blessing in disguise that Wawa didn't come through.   At this point all four corners have major residential developments being built, or coming soon (almost 900 units!).   Would be a waste to plop a Wawa in the middle of what could be a great entrance to South Richmond.   I'd rather see some sort of Office development (the views would be awesome!) with some ground floor retail to compliment the commercial component of the above mentioned Semmes Development.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I don't know. I think it's a blessing in disguise that Wawa didn't come through.   At this point all four corners have major residential developments being built, or coming soon (almost 900 units!).   Would be a waste to plop a Wawa in the middle of what could be a great entrance to South Richmond.   I'd rather see some sort of Office development (the views would be awesome!) with some ground floor retail to compliment the commercial component of the above mentioned Semmes Development.  

A Wawa in one of those store fronts would be awesome!  I cannot recall if I have ever seen any of their urban formats outside of Philly, though.

• Like 1