Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

Amen and amen!  Someone always has something negative to say and they are few.  But for some reason, they have the loudest mouths!  Just wish they'd shut up already and let the developer build his 16-story towers!  It's a freaking CITY for Pete's sake!  How can you not expect tall buildings to be built?!

• Like 3

Pure selfish reasons most of the time. Most of the time it's to preserve their own views that fetch their house/condo/whatever the higher appraisal.

I understand others that lament the loss of the neighborhood ''they knew'' but the most common (and valid) argument to that is that cities are living things, constantly growing and changing. The Manchester we have today, maybe it won't even look like it does in 100 years. But if you don't try....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I just read this and it's very encouraging!  We could see construction begin mid next year (2017)!  I'm interested in seeing the design when it comes available. It would be super nice to see some significant tall buildings on the south side of the river.  I'm excited!

• 1 month later...

This is somewhat old news as it happened a few weeks ago, but Urban Farmhouse (1200 Semmes Ave) has closed.  With all the apartments and other new housing nearby, this location should spring back soon with a coffee shop.

Edited by ZUMAN
correct type
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Clopton Site works is really picking up, this area now derelict but with extremely cheap real estate in the next few years will see an increase in development. Clopton site works is really going to make it's self into a cool industrial city within a city it is really coming along nicely. The missing key is the Model Tobacco Building, tie it all in and fix up a few buildings on hull street with a facade improvement program and this area will be booming with entrepreneurs, artest, and tec companies.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 9.37.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 9.37.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 9.39.34 PM.png

Let's not forget the tobacco plant next door to model tobacco on Jefferson Davis that is undergoing a 29 million dollar renovation. http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_84e6100a-ba89-56c8-b361-eec616ff3560.html

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 9.56.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 9.57.08 PM.png

Also on lower Hull Street Redevelopment still is underway ! 

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.07.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.09.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.11.57 PM.png

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you build it they will come and while you're at it throw in some more cool art. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.14.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.16.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.17.25 PM.png

Edited by Marcus Squires
  • Like 4

I'm also very excited about the developments in Manchester.  Besides the success of West End schools, I see it as the most vital part to RVAs longterm success.  I would really like to see RRHA release its property holdings there, as Manchester is a bit too apartment heavy and needs more permanent residents.

Ideally I see West End schools improving, driving families into that area and forcing younger people to seek out places like Manchester for cheaper rent.

On 3/3/2017 at 9:49 PM, Marcus Squires said:

Let's not forget the tobacco plant next door to model tobacco on Jefferson Davis that is undergoing a 29 million dollar renovation. http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_84e6100a-ba89-56c8-b361-eec616ff3560.html

I'm very excited for this.  However, I'm concerned whether it will go through or not since historic tax credits are currently in limbo.  Is there a date for when they are supposed to start renovations? 

• 4 weeks later...

Talk about Manchester development; here's an article by the Valentine with lots of images and an in-depth history of Manchester's growth as its own city and then a part of Richmond's Southside.

Manchester: From Sister City to South Richmond

Here's a picture of the old 9th St. Bridge, the James River Free Bridge.

13706795_1569790123323234_2021913191_n.jpg

Edited by cortesac

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting new infill development on Perry Street:

New Private School Heads for Manchester

Supporters of Cristo Rey, a Jesuit Catholic school founded in Chicago, plan to build the campus next to Sacred Heart Church on the 1400 block of Perry Street. They hope to open in time for the 2019-2020 school year.

The school plans to enroll 100 ninth-grade students in its first year and build to 400 to 450 students.

400+ students sounds like... not too small!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps it is including the existing 102 units, therefore adding 86?  Given the small units sizes that may be plausible but it does specify "tower" which would imply taller than the current four-story structure.

I just found this old article on PortRVA with some insight on the project:

"Not included in the sale of PortRVA is an adjoining 0.5-acre plot owned by Property Results that will likely eventually hold the second phase of the property. Milam said the structure will likely be six stories with parking included, but no timeline has been set."

http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/10/19/unfinished-manchester-apartment-project-listed-for-15m/

• Like 1

That explains that, six stories isn't bad for that spot, that would be the tallest building on the block, easily (not much else around it, yet..) Hopefully we'll see some movement on this

Edit: They may be waiting to see how the Reynolds South development across the street pans out, if the Reynolds development attracts a grocery store and other retail to the area like planned, then building this would be a no brainer.

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 2