Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

That’s what I had heard, maybe I can walk over and ask the contractors.   Across the street you’ve now got the recently announced Apt/Office project.  Also, adajacent sites next to the  silos  under contract,  soil sampling on phase 2 of PortRVA and the new zoning overlay allowing for increased height,   It’s going to be a very active construction zone soon!

• Like 2

It appears that the RTD has a routine of dropping news of developments in Richmond in the late hours of Friday afternoons.  Just like last week, the RTD does it again with this development in Manchester.  Looks like the initial phase will be 41 apartments in a rehabbed building currently on the property and the second phase will be some new construction which is not known what yet. However, they did say that the initial investments would be $4-6 million, but with the new construction, possibly $25 millionth total  (not a small development). I imagine that renderings will come out in the coming months. They will close on the property in September. 

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/developers-eyeing-former-buick-dealership-site-on-semmes-avenue-in/article_71d6dcc1-b13e-5a63-88cd-98d33c2e762c.html

I think this is the location based off the vague description:

27176047037_bc6bc363f9_b.jpg

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

That’s cool news (though I feel like this lot is talked about a bunch, wasn’t this supposed to be home to a 6 story apartment building by now?). 

I really like what the developers did on Cary,    I’m optimistic that this will be a quality project.  

• Like 3

Muse apartments.

It's already on the development map and is referenced in a single line in the RTD article that the plan from back in 2016 fell through.

So basically new developers are in. As you all have pointed out since they are the developers of Cary St Station it should be a quality project.

• Like 1

Just noticed on the city's land use project map a plan of development was submitted 5/8 for the riverfront tract where the run down industrial storage building is off the flood wall. The POD submittal, dubbed "South Falls" mentions 256 units.

Edited by vaceltic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vaceltic said:

Just noticed on the city's land use project map a plan of development was submitted 5/8 for the riverfront tract where the run down industrial storage building is off the flood wall. The POD submittal, dubbed "South Falls" mentions 256 units.

This was mentioned by RichmondBizSense a year or so ago, but nothing more has come up since.  It certainly didn't have a name then, so "South Falls" is more than I've ever heard.  Supposedly, this will be a 16-story tower or a pair of 16-story towers.  Hopefully, the new movement on the city's land use project map is an indicator that this project might be starting soon.  I would love to see a rendering!  Looks like things are heating up even more in Manchester!  Bring it on!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

This was mentioned by RichmondBizSense a year or so ago, but nothing more has come up since.  It certainly didn't have a name then, so "South Falls" is more than I've ever heard.  Supposedly, this will be a 16-story tower or a pair of 16-story towers.  Hopefully, the new movement on the city's land use project map is an indicator that this project might be starting soon.  I would love to see a rendering!  Looks like things are heating up even more in Manchester!  Bring it on!

From what I have heard, the owner of the building directly behind it has been fighting it because it’ll block its view and lower rents. I think having a cleaned up canal walk and a more developed feel in the area would only benefit their value. 

Also, the the leveled lot is now being used as temporary parking while they closed off another parking lot for Cityview Lofts to do demo there.  Something is afoot. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, vaceltic said:

You called it!  Here it is from this morning’s Richmondbizsense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/05/21/100m-manchester-riverfront-project-begins-summer-14-story-tower/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

You called it!  Here it is from this morning’s Richmondbizsense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/05/21/100m-manchester-riverfront-project-begins-summer-14-story-tower/

Looks like some height  finally coming to the river front.  I would have like to have seen 16 but I will take 14. Maybe  this will encourage more height in Manchester in the future.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

Looks like some height  finally coming to the river front.  I would have like to have seen 16 but I will take 14. Maybe  this will encourage more height in Manchester in the future.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice the decrease in height.  ha ha

I too would have loved to see 16 stories, but I will take 14.  Must have been cost prohibitive to go any taller.  Still, I think it will be the tallest structure in Manchester up to this point.  One other thing that concerns me is that the design is being done by Walter Parks Architects.  They are the same folks who designed the big cube going up at the Locks (still think it's hideous).  Their designs just don't excite me.  Still, can't wait to see a rendering!

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

brochure with more renderings and site  plan here:

https://www.thalhimer.com/properties/city-view-marketplace

Yeah that’s a pretty solid project.  It’s going to be a very busy stretch of construction between the towers near the flood wall, portRVA phase 2, and the new office/apt building near Artspace. 

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More development for Manchester! I would imagine the Williams Bridge Building would be reincorporated as it is kind of iconic in Richmond. I know the ship has probably sailed on this, but I think this site ould also be a good option for the baseball stadium. It's close to town and I95, but wouldn't overburden an existing neighborhood. Just a thought, but happy this will be redeveloped since it currently sits idle.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/06/20/sprawling-williams-bridge-co-facility-contract-targeted-mixed-use/

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

More development for Manchester! I would imagine the Williams Bridge Building would be reincorporated as it is kind of iconic in Richmond. I know the ship has probably sailed on this, but I think this site ould also be a good option for the baseball stadium. It's close to town and I95, but wouldn't overburden an existing neighborhood. Just a thought, but happy this will be redeveloped since it currently sits idle.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/06/20/sprawling-williams-bridge-co-facility-contract-targeted-mixed-use/

I'm excited, but not excited about this development.  Let me explain - I like the fact that the site is going to be developed, but I'm not excited about them converting the warehouse into apartments.  Like you, I think the warehouse is a Richmond icon, but not a positive one.  I'd love to be able to change the image of Richmond in the I-95 corridor and get rid of the old, run-down looking warehouses/facilities that line I-95 that give Richmond a bad reputation for being an old, run-down, behind-the-times city.  Keeping this warehouse (even renovated) is not going to change that perception, I'm afraid.  Instead, I'd like to see new construction in that location - something fresh, new, and clean...something that screams that Richmond has changed and is not the old, run-down, slum town that people who only drive through the city via I-95 think it is.  At the very least, if they keep the warehouse and convert it, have it surrounded by eye-popping new construction that will make a statement.  Your thoughts?

By the way, I love this photo:

williamsbridgecoaerial2

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm excited, but not excited about this development.  Let me explain - I like the fact that the site is going to be developed, but I'm not excited about them converting the warehouse into apartments.  Like you, I think the warehouse is a Richmond icon, but not a positive one.  I'd love to be able to change the image of Richmond in the I-95 corridor and get rid of the old, run-down looking warehouses/facilities that line I-95 that give Richmond a bad reputation for being an old, run-down, behind-the-times city.  Keeping this warehouse (even renovated) is not going to change that perception, I'm afraid.  Instead, I'd like to see new construction in that location - something fresh, new, and clean...something that screams that Richmond has changed and is not the old, run-down, slum town that people who only drive through the city via I-95 think it is.  At the very least, if they keep the warehouse and convert it, have it surrounded by eye-popping new construction that will make a statement.  Your thoughts?

By the way, I love this photo:

williamsbridgecoaerial2

Perhaps they can incorporate the old look with the new....something like what they are doing with the new  state building on Broad.  The site does  looks run down and old.  The revamped train shed on Main has an eclectic type of feel....an old train shed with modern glass walls gives it an up to date feel along with a retro architectural  Main building.  I will hold judgement until a time may come where there are preliminary  designs submitted. 

• Like 2