Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

Not to beat a dead horse but I really don't get the hostility towards 321.  I understand the disappointment that it isn’t a new SunTrust tower (not that there will be any significant SunTrust presence in Richmond in 5 years)  and that the site could support something better.  

It is  a perfectly fine residential  building (better than its two  mid-rise neighbors).  The drawings make the building look putrid but it’s imposing and classic in person, much better than I was expecting. 

• Like 2

Also, Walter Parks doesn't have the final say - they're being paid by someone. They work for a client, who ultimately decides if they want to change the design or not. I like alot of the portfolio they've done - I suspect they've had some  unimaginative clients that value-engineer good design out of their buildings.

22 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but I really don't get the hostility towards 321.  I understand the disappointment that it isn’t a new SunTrust tower (not that there will be any significant SunTrust presence in Richmond in 5 years)  and that the site could support something better.  

It is  a perfectly fine residential  building (better than its two  mid-rise neighbors).  The drawings make the building look putrid but it’s imposing and classic in person, much better than I was expecting. 

My resentment towards 321 is strictly due to aesthetic reasons.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, vaceltic said:

The Muse project is on! Two five-story buildings and maintaining the showroom for a signed-on restaurant!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/08/27/muse-buick-redevelopment-kicks-into-high-gear/

The article does not provide any details to the actual Muse Dealership so I am curious as to the plan there.  From the description, the restaurant appears to be going into the small one-story (used car showroom?) at the corner of 14th St.

"undisclosed restaurant tenant to take over the one-story, 1,325-square-foot building at the corner of Semmes Avenue and West 14th Street." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 11:57 PM, georgeglass said:

Found this site marketing for the McRae and Lacy Townhomes next to Legend in Manchester. There are renderings and videos! Looks pretty nice!

https://rerva.com/mcrae-lacy-townhomes/

They’ve begun clearing the land for this development. 

Also, the lot has been demolished for the Current. 

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Yes! Quick question, what kind of district would you consider The Diamond and Hardywood Brewery Area? I made a recommendation list in the "Design For Richmond" thread long time ago as envisioning that area as a Century City site development (forgive my young mind if that's too...much).  I know industrial usage is still present, but would it ever consider Mixed Use Industrial settings for the future?

6 hours ago, Hike said:

South Falls is 14 floors and the Locks tower was 11 - what do you think, can they build the whole thing with this mobile?

South-Falls-2.jpg

I would not think so, but who knows?!  There were tower cranes for the other two apartment buildings that were built near this site in Manchester...and they were shorter (10 stores?).  I’d be a little upset to NOT see a tower crane here. 

• Like 1

Third that!  I have seen taller structures built with a mobile crawler though I would rather see a tower crane or two.  Looking at the footings, this maybe another precast tower; similar to that "prison" at 321 Locks.

Edited by Shakman