Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Looks like the old Lighthouse Diner is going to be razed. In its place they plan on building a 24,000 sf building with street level retail and 24 apartments above.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/06/08/old-manchester-diner-property-to-be-razed-for-new-development/

Curious as to how many units per floor on that narrow lot.

Seems zoning allows for up to 5 stories.  I imagine it would have to be 5 floors if you are going to incorporate retail, apartments and parking.

24,000 sf building/5 = 4800 sf per floor. 

Ground floor: retail, utilities, mailboxes, lobby/elevators.  

Floors 2-5: 24 units/4 = 6 units per floor or about 800 sf per unit (not taking into account stairway, elevator and hallways). 

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Manchester adjacent, but the sale of the Model Tobacco Building has closed.  Anticipated build time is 20 months for 275 income based apartments and 47,000 entertainment space for restaurant/beer garden. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/06/18/8m-sale-clears-way-for-model-tobacco-redevelopment/

Nice!! It's a great building - hope they keep the art-deco signage. Good size property - if it really takes off, it could ignite other development/re-development in that area. Gonna stay tuned to see how the dominoes fall in this part of town, because there's a ton of potential!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Hopefully does not stall like this developer's  Petersburg project referenced in the article.

Oh, what a complete eyesore the one in Petersburg is!  I drive pass that one fairly often when we drive to and from our house at the beach. It would be nice if it were converted to a modern, sleek glass building giving the first thing people see when they drive up I-95 and enter the Richmond area, a good impression and a nice primer for the view of downtown Richmond as they cross the James River!

• Like 4

On 6/20/2020 at 12:58 PM, Shakman said:

Have we not learned our past lessons of concentrated low income units?

I am confused.  Are you comparing the income restricted housing with on site amenities to government poverty housing projects?  If it is anything like the other income-restricted housing it will probably be $1500/mo for a 1BDR with an income cap of $35k (slight exaggeration but only slight).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They definitely need to take advantage of the location and the view, so I imagine it'll be something similar to South Falls. 

However, they really need to figure out something with the cluster of roads right there near the flood wall/railroad.   You essentially have 1st, 2nd, Brander and Manchester all within what would be a typical city block. None of them align and the curve onto the bridge always backs up traffic.  I'm not sure what can be done, but it will be a mess when you have 2 new South Falls towers, a mid-rise apartment complex next to Silos, the Silos Development (most likely another tower), ultimately another tower where Brander turns into Bainbridge,  all emptying out at different points to access Hull.    Maybe, Brander/2nd could have been realigned at the signal.  1st could be a right turn only (nobody uses 1st anyway). Then, connect Decatur across the canal to Manchester for a back entrance into Silos.  Manchester and South Falls could have been a roundabout (nice gateway into Manchester) just next to a new greenway/canal walk. 

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Momentous news, the iconic Southern States silos may finally be coming down for new development.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/07/07/hourigan-eyes-redevelopment-of-southern-states-silos-in-manchester/

Rezoning request coming to city planning commission within next few months, hopeful start point sometime in 2021 according to article.

Let's see what gets proposed for the site. Ideally something that makes a statement. Or at least the same height of the silos

I actually hope the design is awesome and that it makes a statement.  Additionally, I hope it’s more closer to a high rise than a mid rise.  Either way, it’s exciting!

• Like 1

Any news regarding the PortRVA II building? That would fill out the last surface lot on this block adjacent to this project on the Hull Street facing side. The rendering had been really neat for that project but it has been a couple years now and no movement. 

On 7/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, eandslee said:

I actually hope the design is awesome and that it makes a statement.  Additionally, I hope it’s more closer to a high rise than a mid rise.  Either way, it’s exciting!

Agreed - hope the developer is generous with height on this project.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is Manchester-ish - technically Swansboro I think. But the Belle Heights project is looking to get approval for a second phase. Per the article - ' either up to 35 more townhomes, or a mix of up to 120 apartments and 15 townhomes.'. Those renderings are just stock development photos I think though - they dont look like they sit on the same site. I guess this site will need to be leveled? Flooding took out a trailer park here few years back.

Anyway, adding to development map!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/08/13/belle-heights-townhome-developers-seek-permit-to-build-second-phase/

Would it be appropriate to rename this thread something like Manchester\Swansboro ? Or does the Manchester name penetrate this far south? 

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 1

I guess we can include Swansboro if more developments pop up.  Hull street south, had a lot of projects planned until the Hilds got into trouble.   Then again, we should probably include Blackwell too.  Maybe Manchester Area or just Southside?

As far as Belle Heights, I really hope they go with more townhomes. As quick as they are selling, they’d be stupid not to.  Manchester/Swansboro is inundated with apartments and for sale products help balance a neighborhood. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

This is Manchester-ish - technically Swansboro I think. But the Belle Heights project is looking to get approval for a second phase. Per the article - ' either up to 35 more townhomes, or a mix of up to 120 apartments and 15 townhomes.'. Those renderings are just stock development photos I think though - they dont look like they sit on the same site. I guess this site will need to be leveled? Flooding took out a trailer park here few years back.

Anyway, adding to development map!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/08/13/belle-heights-townhome-developers-seek-permit-to-build-second-phase/

Would it be appropriate to rename this thread something like Manchester\Swansboro ? Or does the Manchester name penetrate this far south? 

FANTASTIC!! Loving this!

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I guess we can include Swansboro if more developments pop up.  Hull street south, had a lot of projects planned until the Hilds got into trouble.   Then again, we should probably include Blackwell too.  Maybe Manchester Area or just Southside?

As far as Belle Heights, I really hope they go with more townhomes. As quick as they are selling, they’d be stupid not to.  Manchester/Swansboro is inundated with apartments and for sale products help balance a neighborhood. 

I wouldn't go as far as generalizing the Manchester sub forum as "Southside" - Manchester is it's own distinct part of town with it's own developing distinct urban vibe and flavor. Maybe going as far as "Manchester/Swansboro" might work - though I honestly think anything west of Cowardin Avenue -- as well as anything south of the Dinwiddie Avenue/Commerce Road axis -- should have their own sub forums or simply continue to be included in a general "Manchester". Technically a significant section of what we might consider "Manchester" is the old Blackwell neighborhood.

Personally, I would prefer to see separate sub forums for "Manchester" "Swansboro" and "Southside" - where the first two are specific sections of Southside - and the third could be a catch-all for anything outside of Manchester and Swansboro.  

• 4 weeks later...

Had to make an errand down Hull during lunch - If I'm not mistaken as I drove by it looked like site work for the Hydro project has begun. What is usually an empty lot is full of construction vehicles. The site is sort of hidden so it is hard to really get a good look at it - maybe I'll bike through that Manchester Rd this weekend to confirm or just pull in sometime after construction hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Looks like the developers are still heavily marketing the office portion of South Falls.  I've noticed that there has been no ground broken yet for the construction of this portion of the project.  To me, this is not a good sign.  I wonder if there has been any interest at the very least?  Hope they find someone soon to fill the space - I'd love to see it fully occupied and...frankly, I want to see this office building built!

Here's a good looking brochure on the office portion of South Falls:

https://sites.vedp.org/GetAttachment?id=189311&binary=true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1