Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

5 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/10/26/buyer-of-former-lighthouse-diner-property-acquires-more-along-hull-street/

Maryland based developer has purchased empty lot at 1114 Hull St. No indications as to what he plans to do with it, but...

This is the same developer who is redeveloping the Lighthouse Diner site just a block away , rendering pictured below.

10.26R-hullst3.png

So hopefully it's something along those lines.

AMEN to that! The just-purchased parcel is mid-block between 11th and 12th - same side of Hull street as this location -- and from RBS's areal photo, it looks to be a pretty good size - so it should support a sizeable building.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/10/26/buyer-of-former-lighthouse-diner-property-acquires-more-along-hull-street/

Maryland based developer has purchased empty lot at 1114 Hull St. No indications as to what he plans to do with it, but...

This is the same developer who is redeveloping the Lighthouse Diner site just a block away , rendering pictured below.

10.26R-hullst3.png

So hopefully it's something along those lines.

This is the massing i was hoping for and I hope it continues. This is why one day, as the neighborhood packs in on and around it, the old Blackwell drag here between Cowardian and Commerce I really believe will be more vibrant than Carytown. More people will be able to live here  and the strip will flourish  because of it. 

• Like 3

Another upshot to this kind of massing in Manchester - it will open the door for even larger buildings. Already there is some good height burgeoning in Manchester - size begets size - and it's probably a safe argument that in the coming years we'll see an increase in taller, larger buildings as Manchester becomes more densely developed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Anybody else listen in on the Future of Manchester panel discussion hosted by BizSense?

Would love to hear this or at least get a recap. 

Edit - based on past 'Future of' events it looks like BizSense provides a free recap article that comes out with their morning news releases - so hopefully sometime this week!

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thanks to Walter Parks. :scared:

IKR? If I could roll my eyes any harder without injuring myself I would! :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Richmonopoly said:

I walked the Mayo Bridge into Manchester the other day.  I love the density the new 14-story tower provides, but up close... 

...that building is HIDEOUS! Lol

As Tony Soprano would say - "whaddyagonnado?"  I hear you tho. Stil, VERY grateful for the density - and looking forward to more residential towers rising in Manchester in the near future.

Edited by I miss RVA

More Friday goodness...developer has submitted a POD for the empty lot at 1114 Hull. Remember this is the same developer who is behind the Lighthouse Diner site...85 apartments gotta mean 4-5 stories if not 6 for that small lot right?!

1114Hull.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Highlights of the Future of Manchester panel published by RBizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/13/highlights-from-the-future-of-manchester/

I'm planning to check out the entire discussion, available here:

https://richmondbizsense.com/events/the-future-of-video-archive/

Some selected great quotes from the RBizSense story:

"It’s a big mix with a little bit of a nebulous boundary of where it starts and stops, but it wants to grow. Just by the numbers, over 50 percent of the land is undeveloped." - Burt Pinnock, principal and chairman of Baskervill

"Manchester in the Richmond 300 plan is grouped in with downtown. It is the Brooklyn to Manhattan kind of relationship." - Burt Pinnock, principal and chairman of Baskervill

"There are easily between a 1,000 and 2,000 (apartment) units right now that are under construction and in planning." Bernard Harkless, principal at Manchester-based Lynx Ventures

"We see a lot of potential for more services, more offices and very dense mixed use on Hull Street." -  Bernard Harkless, principal at Manchester-based Lynx Ventures

"There is a lot of interest in Manchester and it’s no longer just the local developers. We’re on the map now." - Robin Miller, principal of Miller & Associates

"I’d love for the next BRT line to come north south through Manchester and really make us a connected multi modal neighborhood." - David Bass, founder and president of the Manchester Alliance

• Like 3

Neat. Reminds me of mid rise infill projects in DC aka modern but conservative in styling. I like how the facade is broken by the vertical pattern of the balconies, fits the rhythm or building density of the street and makes the increase in height less visually disruptive. In this way it's respectful of the historical nature without trying to be a caricature of historic architecture. Both renderings seem a bit lacking but nothing commercial activity and personalized flair out on the balconies won't help with. Also, both projects present a nice off white slate facing Hull St to the side for a muralist one day...

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Referring to the mural comment I was reminded of a building I lived close to when I lived previously up in Falls Church. Simple building  with a similar massing and scale to this project but the architectural flair here made it a tad more interesting.

youngflowersfront841.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2