Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

So the Current seems to be taking forever to finish but so far it’s really on another level for Richmond.  I love, love, love how tight it is making the streets around it feel.  The Hull Street side is attractive but it’s the least impactful, IMO .   When the food hall and Benchtop Brewery  open it will be a very impressive block (throw in the new ABC store and Stellas Market /the Continental across the street and Manchester, well the old manufacturing center of Manchester,  may finally feel like a proper neighborhood.

Here are some photos. 
The next to last photo is of the new development along the canal.  I’ll go to the roof soon and take some photos.  It’s a really attractive building that no one can see :) 

4690D1EE-B569-473F-AC8C-78B5BD1B7BF5.jpeg

7190602E-76EA-402D-8A6A-DEB0D92CC083.jpeg

F7F4D60D-C98D-4B5F-8D88-CDABD1758F7B.jpeg

43BB0783-F098-43A0-9786-DFED4C1AB8A5.jpeg

CB2A5458-DD7C-4F27-AEBF-8C675B1D2D8E.jpeg

13FD9024-F93D-4633-B4E8-2A08DA17FAAC.jpeg

These are some really great photos, Brent. You're in a great location to chronicle Manchester's growth.  Thanks so much for taking and posting these. Looking forward to more!

• Like 2

I don't understand all the hate on South Falls - i think it has to be one of my favorite out of the Walter Parks shop , it seems to have a certain Scandinavian architectural influence to it, the sharpness of  which works well sitting next to a body of water. 

https://scandification.com/guide-to-scandinavian-architecture/

https://www.twenty20.com/photos/787365e6-ff81-4c38-b67a-bb95769e7770

https://swt.eu/project-cases/

https://paulrobertlloyd.com/2020/02/oslo/

https://focusedcollection.com/189993828/stock-photo-modern-architecture-scandinavia-solna-sweden.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Saw a comment on Reddit the other day on a similar discussion on the Current. I linked the thread below. The comment is in reference to the Thalhimer block between 4th, 5th, Hull & Bainbridge - the block formerly part of the larger City View development that at one point had been reserved for a grocery store. This block was rezoned to TOD-1 a couple weeks back.

From u\daemonrealm- 

Living right next to the lot (balcony faces it basically where this picture was taken). I see and hear things.

1. Nothing happening for 2-3+ years.

2. it is being zoned and surveyed, the entire block not just the temp surface lot parking area, which is very large and the size of both the buildings in the above picture.

3. I’ve seen reps from a major grocery chain walking the property

4. the owner of that land and eventual building is the same owners as my complex. You “hear” things….but it’s rumors.

5. confirmed planned 10-14 story apartment building. 2 levels of parking garage under ground (doubtful that’s a rumor). Mimicking that horrid ugly new tower building by the flood wall.

6. unconfirmed but plausible. Kroger is “looking” at 1st story, above will be apartments. As it’s a mix use design.

I saw that post and while that would be great I don't buy it.   If there is a mixed use building planned with one floor of retail those buildings tend to have generic retail space, which is fine for most retail but grocery stores have some fairly specific needs they can't just go in any retail space.  Would a grocery store even fit in a space like that?  Not sure the footprint is large enough, but they also typically have high ceilings to accommodate storage and not make the store feel cramped. I don't think a 2nd floor level above a parking garage is going to have those high ceilings.  They need to accommodate delivery trucks.   The list goes on, it just doesn't seem logical.  I guess they could do it, but Kroger would have to really really want to put a grocery store in there to make it work, and that's clearly not the case or they would have done it already.

Also parking, if this is a 10-14 story building with only 2 levels of parking, that's just enough for residents. Where would customers park? Again, works for typical retail but not groceries where people are coming out with a dozen bags of stuff, they aren't finding street parking a block away for that.  

• Like 1

I agree about South Falls.  It’s attractive and simple.  I did expect a pop of colour or something on the large balcony side.  But overall, it’s a good-looking building and it looks like a place where people stay for 10 years or so (seems like condos).  It doesn’t have that transient look of some of the newer places in town.  Maybe I’m just enthralled with the lobby.  The bare and soaring concrete walls give it a really cosmopolitan feel.  

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

Saw a comment on Reddit the other day on a similar discussion on the Current. I linked the thread below. The comment is in reference to the Thalhimer block between 4th, 5th, Hull & Bainbridge - the block formerly part of the larger City View development that at one point had been reserved for a grocery store. This block was rezoned to TOD-1 a couple weeks back.

From u\daemonrealm- 

Living right next to the lot (balcony faces it basically where this picture was taken). I see and hear things.

1. Nothing happening for 2-3+ years.

2. it is being zoned and surveyed, the entire block not just the temp surface lot parking area, which is very large and the size of both the buildings in the above picture.

3. I’ve seen reps from a major grocery chain walking the property

4. the owner of that land and eventual building is the same owners as my complex. You “hear” things….but it’s rumors.

5. confirmed planned 10-14 story apartment building. 2 levels of parking garage under ground (doubtful that’s a rumor). Mimicking that horrid ugly new tower building by the flood wall.

6. unconfirmed but plausible. Kroger is “looking” at 1st story, above will be apartments. As it’s a mix use design.

So just for some clarity: Is THIS the location we're talking about here? A block north of where the 11-story PortRVA2 - 512 Hull Street apartment building is planned?  If so, and if it were to come to pass, that would be some fantastic height AND density along this stretch of lower Hull Street.

Screenshot (233).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

So this happened yesterday…

Thought this was Thurston springs location but this is Bay Diesel, the sign is on the post from your photo, thankful you're updating us with these the last couple of days.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/09/28/230-unit-development-planned-for-riverfront-site-in-manchester/

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

It’s the lot at the corner of Semmes and 7th.  Thurston Spring is the lot just east of here (I’m parked on the street between the two lots in this photo).   Maybe this lot was an extension of Thurston?   

On Sunday I noticed the bulldozer and those orange and white plastic construction barriers on site  (piled at the back of the lot, not yet installed) so I stopped by yesterday to see what was up. 

• Like 2

Just now, Brent114 said:

It’s the lot at the corner of Semmes and 7th.  Thurston Spring is the lot just east of here (I’m parked on the street between the two lots in this photo).   Maybe this lot was an extension of Thurston?   

On Sunday I noticed the bulldozer and those orange and white plastic construction barriers on site  (piled at the back of the lot, not yet installed) so I stopped by yesterday to see what was up. 

You're our eyes the last couple of days on these projects, thanks for getting these.  i updated my post above and added a link from Bizsense on the development.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say the new Stella's Market is open on Hull St near 6th and The Continental (sharing same space) will be open very soon. Also, the new ABC in the same development along Hull should also be opening sometime soon. All the decals are on the windows and all the shelves are in place. Excited for this transformation to continue. When we moved to RVA ten years ago, this was a wasteland....I think there was an abandoned Burger King near where Port RVA is and a closed down Citgo near the same spot. Other than a Papa's Pizza that was takeout only and Plant Zero (coffee and breakfast place that we miss dearly) there was no reason to spend anytime in this area.

• Like 1