Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

Another day, another rezoning in Manchester. This one would take the block bounded by Maury, Albany, 6th and 7th from heavy industrial to TOD-1.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/6ba494ef-a73c-402f-a1cb-2f61c5156a2d

This is the 3rd TOD-1 rezoning along Maury in the last year or so.  The second snip below highlights the site of today's filing inrelation to 2 rezonings approved earlier this or last year (labels highlighted) and 2 new higher density rezonings filed this year that are in review (red star).

600Maury.JPG

lowerManchester_rzons.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Another day, another rezoning in Manchester. This one would take the block bounded by Maury, Albany, 6th and 7th from heavy industrial to TOD-1.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/6ba494ef-a73c-402f-a1cb-2f61c5156a2d

This is the 3rd TOD-1 rezoning along Maury in the last year or so.  The second snip below highlights the site of today's filing inrelation to 2 rezonings approved earlier this or last year (labels highlighted) and 2 new higher density rezonings filed this year that are in review (red star).

600Maury.JPG

lowerManchester_rzons.jpg

This is just amazing. For as many projects of considerable size that are underway currently in Scott's, I thing Manchester is surging ahead and taking the lead again in terms of sheer number and size of upcoming residential (and mixed use) projects being developed. Richmond has never seen this level of en masse development before, certainly not in any of our lifetimes - and maybe not in the past century or more (if ever!)

• Like 4

Third day in a row for project announcements by BizSense in Manchester :tw_joy:

This time it's actually two projects, the one I'm gonna highlight is 116 units at the SW corner of Hull + Commerce (812 Hull St). Income based apartments, so the design isn't particularly as eye candy as the two projects unveiled in the last two days are, but still respectable in that it adds density and gets rid of more surface lots. I guess I really only have an issue with the prison-like street interaction but hey. Better than a surface lot

Once again, someone must've been keeping an eye on the permits because this project was already on the development map, now we have a rendering to go with it.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/09/17/southside-housing-projects-would-add-260-income-based-apartments/

9.17R-Lawson-main.jpg

The other project is 144 units (also income based) in six 3-story buildings at 700 W 44th St near Forest Hill, but that's more suburban in nature and is near Forest Hill anyway, so kind of off topic for Manchester anyway.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Disappointing project on Hull. 

17 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I support affordable housing, but this has no outdoor space...no balconies. It does look like a prison. Hoping they can make some adjustments...

Disappointing, yes,  but it’s income-based housing. It’s not going to be flashy.  Also, it doesn’t have ground-level retail.  A lot of people want to see income-based housing, but once the plans are released for one, people are upset because it doesn’t look market-value housing.  What do they expect?  It has to be built for less money for there to be any incentive for the developer to build!

• Like 3

The Oliver in Shockoe is income restricted and it still looks better than most market rate complexes around town.  I am excited they are incorporating other incomes into the neighborhood, but this building is a huge stinker.  Especially for being at a prime corner in the neighborhood.   It's a  lazy attempt at best.

• Like 4

My best rebuttal to the recent comments would be in a realistic city, not every building on a prominent street or intersection needs shoppes on the ground floor….. but it totally throws off the algorithm by not having any, hopefully the adjacent lot across hull is taken into more consideration when it come to the “liveliness” of a city block.

Edited by Jordon
  • Like 2

My best rebuttal to the recent comments would be in a realistic city, not every building on a prominent street or intersection needs shoppes on the ground floor….. but it totally throws off the algorithm by not having any, hopefully the adjacent lot across hull is taken into more consideration when it come to the “liveliness” of a city block.
Unfortunately from what i hear that lot will be a single use Chase bank branch.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Disappointing project on Hull. 

Architecturally? And with the lack of street-fronting business/retail space? Yeah - I'll admit I'm not thrilled by the rather stark, somewhat institutional look (especially when compared with the other much more dynamic buildings planned/announced for the Hull Street corridor) - but at the same time, more residential units replacing a surface parking lot in that stretch of Manchester, and pretty good density. It's a compromise. Yes - I'm trying to be charitable toward this project. 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, georgeglass said:

I support affordable housing, but this has no outdoor space...no balconies. It does look like a prison. Hoping they can make some adjustments...

You said what I was thinking. It actually does look like a prison. The lack of balconies really doesn't help the look at all - but if it's income-based housing, it's to be expected that it's not going to have the flashiest design or architecture. No ROI for a developer to build something to market-value quality in terms of appearance, architecture, features, etc., for income-based leasing. 

3 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Architecturally? And with the lack of street-fronting business/retail space? Yeah - I'll admit I'm not thrilled by the rather stark, somewhat institutional look (especially when compared with the other much more dynamic buildings planned/announced for the Hull Street corridor) - but at the same time, more residential units replacing a surface parking lot in that stretch of Manchester, and pretty good density. It's a compromise.

It would be more preferable to include developments like these more towards the area between McDonalds, commerce, and maury… Commerce should be loaded with pedestrian friendly mid/ high rises. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jordon said:

That's very true. Still - I've seen run-down tenements in Brooklyn that are far more attractive and well integrated into the urban fabric of the neighborhood than this design. As was stated earlier, this building actually brings to mind a correctional facility in a lot of ways. I get where the developer isn't going to spend a lot on "fluff" amenities, given that these units aren't going to go for market value - but the drab appearance really doesn't do that much for a prominent corner. If anything, I'm disappointed that such a prominent intersection isn't getting some kind of highrise development - Commerce & Hull is a big deal in that part of town - and you'd think that intersection would be much better served by something 15 or 16 stories there with retail, a grocery, etc. Not to say there's no room for income-based housing. But why there?

5 minutes ago, Jordon said:

It would be more preferable to include developments like these more towards the area between McDonalds, commerce, and maury… Commerce should be loaded with pedestrian friendly mid/ high rises. 

YES!!!! My thoughts exactly!!! Commerce is a prominent avenue through that part of Manchester - and conventional wisdom says that since it is a larger/wider boulevard of sorts, it automatically lends itself to significantly larger/taller construction. If we're seeing 7, 8 - and heck, even 12 story buildings set to rise along Hull - a much narrower thoroughfare than is Commerce, then it certainly makes sense that Commerce might see 12, 16, 18 story buildings sprouting, yes?

7 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Third day in a row for project announcements by BizSense in Manchester :tw_joy:

This time it's actually two projects, the one I'm gonna highlight is 116 units at the SW corner of Hull + Commerce (812 Hull St). Income based apartments, so the design isn't particularly as eye candy as the two projects unveiled in the last two days are, but still respectable in that it adds density and gets rid of more surface lots. I guess I really only have an issue with the prison-like street interaction but hey. Better than a surface lot

Once again, someone must've been keeping an eye on the permits because this project was already on the development map, now we have a rendering to go with it.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/09/17/southside-housing-projects-would-add-260-income-based-apartments/

9.17R-Lawson-main.jpg

The other project is 144 units (also income based) in six 3-story buildings at 700 W 44th St near Forest Hill, but that's more suburban in nature and is near Forest Hill anyway, so kind of off topic for Manchester anyway.

I actually applaud the developers on this one.  After last year, it is understandable to develop with a potential zombie apocalypse in mind.  Not everyone can afford the dedication needed to be allowed into The Winchester.

But in all seriousness, the pedestrian experience is my biggest concern here.  The concrete wall appears to be less inviting than the open field prior.  This is a building that screams "cross the street."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

That's very true. Still - I've seen run-down tenements in Brooklyn that are far more attractive and well integrated into the urban fabric of the neighborhood than this design. As was stated earlier, this building actually brings to mind a correctional facility in a lot of ways. I get where the developer isn't going to spend a lot on "fluff" amenities, given that these units aren't going to go for market value - but the drab appearance really doesn't do that much for a prominent corner. If anything, I'm disappointed that such a prominent intersection isn't getting some kind of highrise development - Commerce & Hull is a big deal in that part of town - and you'd think that intersection would be much better served by something 15 or 16 stories there with retail, a grocery, etc. Not to say there's no room for income-based housing. But why there?

YES!!!! My thoughts exactly!!! Commerce is a prominent avenue through that part of Manchester - and conventional wisdom says that since it is a larger/wider boulevard of sorts, it automatically lends itself to significantly larger/taller construction. If we're seeing 7, 8 - and heck, even 12 story buildings set to rise along Hull - a much narrower thoroughfare than is Commerce, then it certainly makes sense that Commerce might see 12, 16, 18 story buildings sprouting, yes?

I always believed that, that was a wide enough stretch to include a ‘downtown’ outside of downtown, something similar to what they hypothesized for Arthur Ashe blvd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jordon said:

I always believed that, that was a wide enough stretch to include a ‘downtown’ outside of downtown, something similar to what they hypothesized for Arthur Ashe blvd.

I 100% agree. A "downtown" Manchester (while I guess historically has always been the Hull Street corridor) would be perfect along this stretch of Commerce from Semmes to past Hull. It's certainly wide enough to easily handle significantly larger (translated - taller) buildings. And, as you suggested, something akin to what is envisioned for the northern part of Arthur Ashe Boulevard in greater Scott's (the renderings we've seen in the Richmond300 Plan) would be something I could definitely see for this stretch of Commerce. It could really up the ante in any kind of 'competition' for businesses and residents between Scott's and Manchester.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Commodore project has a homepage - note that construction date start is listed as 4Q2021.

https://capcityre.com/our-portfolio/commodore/

Also has some more renderings here.

Thanks, whw53! This is fantastic!  Wow - and 4Q21 begins in eight days. Glad to see them getting ready to get underway.

Now IF ONLY PortRVA2 and Rivers Edge 2 would start breaking some ground and shoveling dirt, I'd feel even better!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

I cannot keep track of these Manchester projects but the one at Decatur and 6th may be starting soon.

I suspected that construction wouldn’t start until after the Current was finished (this lot was used to store the equipment and supplies for that job).  A few days ago the lot was cleared and they have ripped up the parking lot.  I haven’t been by since Tuesday to see if there are any other signs of imminent construction.    Hopefully they didn’t tear up the parking lot ( because it was damaged during construction?)  just to replace it.

Nice!! Is that one "The Box" project?