Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

36 minutes ago, Icetera said:

While poking around the GIS I noticed this 8/25 update for South Falls II:

image.png.1997288693cc419649480eabbe086c52.png

THAT'S interesting! Now is this the "second" building that's often depicted as a glass curtain structure just west of the current South Falls residential tower(s)?  I'm scratching my head trying to recall what South Falls II actually is and where it's located.

Just now, I miss RVA said:

THAT'S interesting! Now is this the "second" building that's often depicted as a glass curtain structure just west of the current South Falls residential tower(s)?  I'm scratching my head trying to recall what South Falls II actually is and where it's located.

That is correct.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Icetera said:

That is correct.

Oh realllllllllllllllly??? So it's going from six (or eight) to 14 stories? WOWWW!! Okay - this is quite a good development. So the developers have amended their original POD? This is with the Planning Commission? What's the process necessary between now and a groundbreaking?

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Oh realllllllllllllllly??? So it's going from six (or eight) to 14 stories? WOWWW!! Okay - this is quite a good development. So the developers have amended their original POD? This is with the Planning Commission? What's the process necessary between now and a groundbreaking?

Well, I think the driver behind this is the inability for the developer to fill the original commercial space.  Perhaps someone else on here can verify that.  Now, they're moving on to something that is more guaranteed - residential!  Sad that they couldn't get a commercial tenant.  Richmond still has a ways to go to attract businesses downtown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, I think the driver behind this is the inability for the developer to fill the original commercial space.  Perhaps someone else on here can verify that.  Now, they're moving on to something that is more guaranteed - residential!  Sad that they couldn't get a commercial tenant.  Richmond still has a ways to go to attract businesses downtown.

I think the commercial/office space will come. The pandemic has kiboshed a lot of that right now. That's something that makes me wonder about the whole redevelopment of the Public Safety block downtown (with the 20-story VCU Health-anchored tower) - how much of an impact will the pandemic have? 

As you said - residential is much more guaranteed these days. And obviously developers must know something because they have been pouring in, what, maybe at least $1 billion in constructing new residential buildings - and the pace seems to have actually picked up in the back half of this year, given all the projects that have been announced. I think we are going to see a LOT of cranes up all over the city - and the irony of it, not many of them will be in actual downtown. At least not immediately. Of course - when the Public Safety block gets redeveloped - and when CoStar finally gets a new headquarters tower (hopefully tall!) underway - and when the 15-story residential building in Monroe Ward gets going -- not to mention The Admiral in Jackson Ward - we'll see cranes somewhere other than either Manchester or Scott's Addition. 

Consider what all of this might mean for residential population growth - developers would not be lining up to build these kinds of projects in the city if there wasn't strong indicators that those properties will get snapped up and not sit vacant for extended periods of time. Who knows - a plethora of new residential buildings in Manchester, Scott's, etc., might end up being a very good marketing tool to convince a company to relo a regional, national or world headquarters to RVA. Just the fact that South Falls II is not only converting over to residential but apparently more than doubling the size of the building (going from 6 to 14 floors - of course the floor plates may be of different size, but still, that's a lot of space) says a LOT about how hot the RVA housing market continues to be.

These are exciting times in River City, to be sure!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Pretty short…

True - but we've known that about this project. Mind you, I'm STILL keeping the fingers crossed we'll see ground broken for River's Edge II in the very near future. Especially given that Bruce mentioned it in his commentary on some of the new Manchester projects, it sounds like that complex is still very much in the pipeline.

Either way, I'm glad to see this one is underway!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jordon said:

Conceptual? For a 9- story commercial building..opinions?https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/IconatCityView.pdf

E2CFC954-C128-4EB2-9B17-74951852EE64.jpeg

Great find!  My guess is that this is just conceptual.  Additionally, I don't think it will ever happen given how South Falls II was supposed to be office space and now they've switched it up to be all residential.  Apparently, not many company leaders are willing to pay the extra taxes to move their business to the city.  The city shoots itself in the foot. [eye roll]

Would be nice though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Great pix!! Thanks so much, Brent, for taking and posting these! 

Wow - gotta say, I'm impressed. They folks aren't wasting any time getting this project moving.

Anyone listening, Rivers Edge II or Port RVA II?? :tw_neutral:

I’ve recently started checking the development map being I’m still new to checking updates on urbanplanet. I realized the shapes colored green are completed projects, blue are pending, and yellow are in the works. The area where “The Box” project is located recently switched from blue to yellow, so maybe thats and indication, idk.

11 hours ago, Jordon said:

I’ve recently started checking the development map being I’m still new to checking updates on urbanplanet. I realized the shapes colored green are completed projects, blue are pending, and yellow are in the works. The area where “The Box” project is located recently switched from blue to yellow, so maybe thats and indication, idk.

I think The Box is either getting underway or is about to. There was something mentioned about it a few weeks ago, if I remember correctly.

23 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

The tower crane for the development across from Legends (photos posted from last night) is going up now.  Photos to follow. 

NICE!!! Which project is this one? Wow - there are SO many projects going on in Manchester it's almost impossible to keep them all straight! (And that's a VERY good thing!)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

NICE!!! Which project is this one? Wow - there are SO many projects going on in Manchester it's almost impossible to keep them all straight! (And that's a VERY good thing!)

Tidewater by Ocean The Beach Co. or something like that?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/09/28/230-unit-development-planned-for-riverfront-site-in-manchester/

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

The tower crane for the development across from Legends (photos posted from last night) is going up now.  Photos to follow. 

Legit tower crane?  I need to update my map.

20 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This thing ( not sure if it has a name) is moving along quickly.

Parts are already out of the ground and then this  crane arrived today. 

A6F2A5C5-EE1D-40D3-A96E-073AC881263B.jpeg

BD371E75-32ED-447A-8D61-E29A88979ECD.jpeg

5DCDB11B-BD35-4022-B04A-D4A565EF148F.jpeg

4B1D30D5-5C81-4917-80E0-F208478E1AAF.jpeg

Oh look!   It's our favorite type of crane!  A crawler!

It's great progress in this area of town.

Edited by Shakman

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Wait - the Tidewater (and aren't the pix that Brent just posted of the Tidewater site?) is getting a tower crane?