Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

Looks like the Caravati site development team is farther along on the new-build piece than they let on in recent media. POD filed this week for the south side of 2nd St. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/9d4de78b-1fa5-456b-b2bc-348ef132d7df

General Info

Previous Section Top Main Menu

Proposed Floor Area and Area of Land Disturbing Activity

Proposed Floor Area

Area in square feet of Land Disturbing Activity

Total # of Square feet
Custom field type is not supported.

Proposed Use:
Residential / Multi-Family Apartments with amenity space facing Decatur Street

Existing Use:
Industrial
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

Looks like the Caravati site development team is farther along on the new-build piece than they let on in recent media. POD filed this week for the south side of 2nd St. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/9d4de78b-1fa5-456b-b2bc-348ef132d7df

General Info

Previous Section Top Main Menu

Proposed Floor Area and Area of Land Disturbing Activity

Proposed Floor Area

Area in square feet of Land Disturbing Activity

Total # of Square feet
Custom field type is not supported.

Proposed Use:
Residential / Multi-Family Apartments with amenity space facing Decatur Street

Existing Use:
Industrial

We haven't seen any kind of renderings or specs for this yet, have we?  I remember the project being mentioned I think in RBS -- but there are (thankfully!!) SO many projects happening in that part of Manchester nowadays that -- to quote Sonny Crockett -- "you can't tell the players without a program."  Which is a very good thing, all-in-all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordon said:

It mentioned in the article that they’ll be breaking ground this month, bringing a total of 3 large scaled developments going up at once !

Let's see - that will be this one (Commodore), the Tidewater (700 Semmes) and The Box - all at the same time, yes?

It'll be interesting to see which (if any) of the other known projects break ground and get underway while these three are rising.

So far - I think Scott's Addition has the unofficial "record" of five projects rising simultaneously -- the four separate projects where there are construction site webcams by Capital Square - and the Icon on Marshall. All five went up at the same time this spring/summer/fall. Let's see if something similar happens with all these Manchester projects.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 12:09 PM, whw53 said:

Another private sector 'upzoning' request - this one taking a piece of land adjacent to the New Manchester Flats project from industrial to commercial zoning. Applicant noted on the zoning application a desire to build a multifamily project. Note the intended B-7 has a 5 story height limit. 

Just to give you all a sense of momentum - I want to point out this is the 10th private sector initiated rezoning request this year - at this time last year (generally pre-COVID mind you) there had been 0 applications and 2020 as a  whole (filtering out the 'voided' or erreously filed requests) only received 10 applications that year TOTAL- so if this were a competition we are already 'tied' with last year for this planning action request. All these rezoning requests as far as i can tell  fall into what we can call 'upzone' or increasing development potential of the land, instead of restricting or 'downzoning'. 

Now, theoretically as planning staff takes initiative and acts on the 300 land use goals and begins to rezone other pieces of the city, we should see this number fall in subsequent years.  In this theory there is less for the private sector to push through on its own to meet development goals.   Or maybe not - it depends how fast city moves AND how the destined zoning map they implement matches up with what the private sector wants to do. 

Sorry for sidebar - here's all the good stuff >>

925E4th_RZON.jpg

925E4th_RZON2.jpg

925E4th_RZON3.jpg

925E4th_RZON4.jpg

925E4th_RZON5.jpg

925E4th_RZON6.jpg

925E4th_RZON7.jpg

Rezoning was approved by City Council last night.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, whw53 said:

More action along Hull St.

Rezoning application filed this week would rezone to TOD-1 the Sampson Coatings block between 3rd & 4th along Hull St.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/58aef311-a792-44c4-924c-0029da223781

I mean - wow - so Hull Street in review...

@ 300 block  we have this new rezoning on the north side, on the south side we have seen renderings from Walter Parks on an expansive 6 story development that would replace one story industrial building. 

@400 block we have a fulll block rezoning to TOD-1 on the North side by Thalhimer (passed Planning Commision on Monday btw)  which would be another phase of the City View developments  - potentially the tallest piece yet. On the south side here is the Current project which is wrapping up.

@500 block we have the completed Overlook at City View\City View Marketplace developments on the north side, two projects pending on the south side - ' 11 story Five50 project and on the backside of that block along Decatur we have the Box - a 7 story project.

@600 block we have the completed City View Row project sharing a block with the pending 5 story 'Manchester Commodore' while on the south side we have an ongoing effort to turn the Seaboard Train Depot into office space. 

This is not even taking into consideration the projects around the Manchester Canal (Silo, South Falls, Hydro) OR the infill projects along Hull as it goes through the  old Blackwell strip. 

SampsonCoatings.jpg

SampsonCoatings2.jpg

Rezoning action for Sampson coating block to TOD-1 has been formally introduced to City Council and should be on the Planning Commission docket for December.

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5210006&GUID=89621DDE-9F82-43E7-834B-A9684161D23B&Options=&Search=

Check out the 'Application and Report' attachment from Markham planning.

A few highlights

"The TOD-1 regulations permit a maximum height of 12 stories compared to the five stories permitted in B-7. For the subject property, the TOD-1 regulations would permit a development at a sufficient density to support active uses and services appropriate to this urban environment. These active uses would be at the street level with dwelling uses above and to the rear and is the type of a pedestrian-oriented environment that is appropriate for this area."

"To achieve these goals, new development in the area, especially on this property, must be encouraged provide sufficient density and mix of high quality commercial and residential uses. Accordingly, this requested rezoning of the property to TOD-1 regulations is consistent with the growth of the area as envisioned by the Richmond 300 Master Plan."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ronsmytheiii said:

IMG_4710D.JPG

Wow! Thanks for taking the pic and posting.  These folks aren't wasting any time. This building is already rising pretty quickly - they just got started not that long ago.

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Rezoning action for Sampson coating block to TOD-1 has been formally introduced to City Council and should be on the Planning Commission docket for December.

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5210006&GUID=89621DDE-9F82-43E7-834B-A9684161D23B&Options=&Search=

Check out the 'Application and Report' attachment from Markham planning.

A few highlights

"The TOD-1 regulations permit a maximum height of 12 stories compared to the five stories permitted in B-7. For the subject property, the TOD-1 regulations would permit a development at a sufficient density to support active uses and services appropriate to this urban environment. These active uses would be at the street level with dwelling uses above and to the rear and is the type of a pedestrian-oriented environment that is appropriate for this area."

"To achieve these goals, new development in the area, especially on this property, must be encouraged provide sufficient density and mix of high quality commercial and residential uses. Accordingly, this requested rezoning of the property to TOD-1 regulations is consistent with the growth of the area as envisioned by the Richmond 300 Master Plan."

This is great news!! 

I'll pose the same question I posed in the Scott's thread regarding 2900 block of W. Broad - what's the over-under on height of anything that rises here? I feel kinda sick for having the excitement of this level of upzoning for the developer to only build something six or seven (or even eight) stories. You'd think adding 2 or 3 floors about the B-7 five-story limit could be achieved with a SUP filing. Is it too much to hope for something 10 stories or higher rising here?

• Like 2

Feet/inches - meters/centimeters - unless you're measuring the height of a horse ... in which case it's hands.

That said:

Thing is - saying a building is "135 feet tall" is somewhat meaningless because we still have to try to convert it to how many stories it is. Much easier to wrap the brain around a 10-story building than a 145-foot-tall building. That figure of 145 feet means literally nothing from a visualization standpoint. The height in feet is, at least to my warped mind, a secondary figure that puts more meat on the bone of saying a building is 40 stories tall. THEN the number has meaning for me - because a 40-story building could be 600-feet tall or 680-feet tall or whatever.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

I'll change my driver's license to say I'm 2 billion cells tall.  Just for you Ice I'll convert it to metric. 

One would think if people are so concerned of height, they would base it off of actual measurement.  I live close to a few municipalities which have issues with height but they base it off of standard measurement rather than number of floors.

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

I'll change my driver's license to say I'm 2 billion cells tall.  Just for you Ice I'll convert it to metric. 

One would think if people are so concerned of height, they would base it off of actual measurement.  I live close to a few municipalities which have issues with height but they base it off of standard measurement rather than number of floors.

I've been thinking of changing mine to use sub-atomic particles as the unit of measurement for how tall I am. :tw_wink:

• Haha 1