Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

33 minutes ago, skinsfan said:

Love the structure in the top right of the four square.  

Same here - Port RVA2 - at 512 Hull Street (corner of 6th and Hull)

Unnnnnnnnnnnnnnnfortunately... apparently that project has been scaled back to maybe 5 stories. Idk what happened - only that folks in the know here on UPRVA (RVAUP?) have indicated that the 12-story project has been kiboshed. VERY disappointing. It was one of the buildings on my "must have" list, and it has been out there in the public square for a couple of years now as an announced project.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 6:11 AM, whw53 said:

Looks like the Caravati site development team is farther along on the new-build piece than they let on in recent media. POD filed this week for the south side of 2nd St. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/9d4de78b-1fa5-456b-b2bc-348ef132d7df

General Info

Previous Section Top Main Menu

Proposed Floor Area and Area of Land Disturbing Activity

Proposed Floor Area

Area in square feet of Land Disturbing Activity

Total # of Square feet
Custom field type is not supported.

Proposed Use:
Residential / Multi-Family Apartments with amenity space facing Decatur Street

Existing Use:
Industrial

Followed up on this submittal in the city's land use system - record there contains following description - '

'5-story multi-family building with 188 dwelling units'

This is in addition to the rehabilitation and conversion of the Caravati buiding to residential. This new 5 story building will rise on the parking lot across 2nd. 

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Aw man….just 5 stories?!  Disappointing for that location. 

Something like that. Five or six maybe? I think the actual height has been confirmed.

@eandsleeI totally agree - extremely -- extremely -- disappointing.  You can't replace height. A bunch of 6 to 8 story buildings along the Hull Street corridor is awesome and we'll definitely take 'em - but you just can't replace what an 11-12 story building in that interior portion of Manchester would bring, particularly to that location at 6th & Hull.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

@I miss RVA Caravati project we knew was going to be a 2-parter. Earlier in the year the press picked up on the 'part 1' which will rehabilitate the Caravati auction house\storage building into a residential project. At that time a second phase was alluded to but  details were scant or preliminary. Week of Halloween however a new POD was filed for this 'phase 2' (see picture). This record of the POD application didn't have any detail to share at the time - but a record in the city's Land Use Mapper notes that this will be a 5 story 188 unit project. local media has not picked up on the new detail\ pod filing. When they do i hope we can get a rendering. 

caravati.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

@I miss RVA Caravati project we knew was going to be a 2-parter. Earlier in the year the press picked up on the 'part 1' which will rehabilitate the Caravati auction house\storage building into a residential project. At that time a second phase was alluded to but  details were scant or preliminary. Week of Halloween however a new POD was filed for this 'phase 2' (see picture). This record of the POD application didn't have any detail to share at the time - but a record in the city's Land Use Mapper notes that this will be a 5 story 188 unit project. local media has not picked up on the new detail\ pod filing. When they do i hope we can get a rendering. 

caravati.jpg

All of this is amazing to me. To see Scott's and Manchester BOTH just exploding with all these projects like they are - and then reading the article that @eandsleeposted this morning - makes what's happening in RVA all the more remarkable to me. This is absolutely unprecedented in my lifetime. We've seen a level of construction -- whether completed, underway, announced/planned/approved -- over just the last one to two years - that might have taken 10 to 20 years to bring about not that long ago.

THIS is the very thing other cities have done - and that for whatever reason -- until now -- had long bypassed Richmond. How wonderful it is now that RVA is one of the epicenters of this kind of boom!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

A few days ago, there was a phase 2 mentioned for a project and here it is. 5 stories, 188 units right near the Manchester canal.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/29/developers-team-up-to-build-188-unit-southside-apartment-building/

They keep saying five but I think they are ignoring the podium level:
caravati1.jpeg

• Like 3

thanks BizSense - we appreciate the quick turn  around on the story and fetching the rendering - if reading , here is a couple more of our Manchester 'most wanted' stories i'd think-

1.  South Falls phase 2 tower - 14 stories residential  - POD amendment going through planning

2. Reduced to 5 stories - the 'Five50' project at 512 Hull as it is planned for now 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

thanks BizSense - we appreciate the quick turn  around on the story and fetching the rendering - if reading , here is a couple more of our Manchester 'most wanted' stories i'd think-

1.  South Falls phase 2 tower - 14 stories residential  - POD amendment going through planning

2. Reduced to 5 stories - the 'Five50' project at 512 Hull as it is planned for now 

This is a beautiful project, and a huge add for that part of Manchester.

I'm thrilled that the South Falls 2 -- 14-story tower -- is working its way through planning. Hopefully that can fast track and get underway sooner rather than later.

I'd be a LOT happier if:

1.) The Five50 project at 512 Hull got re-reconfigured back to 11 stories.

2.) We'd hear that Rivers Edge II -- twin 11-story apartment buildings -- is about to break ground. That this project was announced so long ago and STILL has not turned over the first shovel of dirt worries me to no end. This has been the situation with 512 Hull. It was announced two years ago - and still the lot sits vacant - AND - the project got severely scaled back.

3.) We'd get a huge announcement on the Silos project - and that it turns out to be very big - 17, 18 - 20 stories even...

I'm thrilled that we're getting the density of all these 5, 7, 8, etc. story projects. But where are the high rises? There have been a bunch of them discussed/planned/announced/rumored - but so far, almost no movement. And  @coupe I'll ask your indulgence that I'm not as optimistic regarding 512 Hull being so severely scaled back as you are encouraging us to be. That this project has been more than chopped in half really sticks in my craw and bothers me to no end. I feel like we're losing a vital high rise right smack in the middle of the Hull Street corridor that would be a standout building and a solid anchor that might hopefully spur on additional taller development in that part of Manchester, zoning permitting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I don't have confidence in 512 Hull being tall, but I'm excited about some projects that are on the horizon. 

Oh, completely understood.

I guess it's more accurate to say I don't necessarily share the same level of excitement - because while I am excited by the variety of 5, 6,7, 8 story projects that are proliferating the Hull Street corridor, the shine is slightly diminished from the overall apple by the loss of a high rise in the midst of all of this development. To me, we simply can't replace a high rise building with a 5-story building - and it's difficult to find a reason to be AS excited, even if several other similar-sized (5-to-8 story) buildings are in the pipeline. That's not to diminish the importance of those other projects by any means. But it is to say that I'm not AS excited by all of these as I would be if we had all of these - AND - there was no scaling back of 512 Hull Street. Or better stated, having all these other projects -- as excited by them as I am -- does not diminish my disappointment at the scaling back of what was to be a high rise building. I see scaling an 11-story building back to five stories as a lost opportunity for Manchester - and it's something I hope and pray does not become a trend.

I don't know if that makes sense.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I think you’ll be AS excited as me about things in the pipeline. 

Okay, my good friend - I'll take your word for it because generally speaking, you've tended to be 100% spot-on target about this kinda stuff. And you generally are in the know about these things far in advance of most of the rest of us.

I must inquire: what is it that you know that the rest of us don't? Do I take it some BIG developments are on the way that have not been made public here or elsewhere?