Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Stay tuned for another 7 or 8 story building...

While I’m with you and wish we went for the full potential of the tod zoning with a lot of buildings I can’t help but say it has to be better than what’s on that site now.  While it may not be a flashy 12 story building (honestly can’t believe I used flashy and 12 story building in the same sentence ) it’s better than what’s there now or at least I hope it is and doesn’t look like a prison as far as design goes.  

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

While I’m with you and wish we went for the full potential of the tod zoning with a lot of buildings I can’t help but say it has to be better than what’s on that site now.  While it may not be a flashy 12 story building (honestly can’t believe I used flashy and 12 story building in the same sentence ) it’s better than what’s there now or at least I hope it is and doesn’t look like a prison as far as design goes.  

Yeah - flashy and 12-stories just don't seem overly synonymous, do they? :tw_joy:

Very true - a 7 or 8 story building is preferable to a surface parking lot. Seems to me, though, you don't necessarily need upzoning to TOD-1 just to add 2 or 3 floors to the five-story height max currently in place. Now, if they'd go as high as 10 stories, I'd be happy (for now :tw_wink:). Call it semantics if you want - but I want to start seeing more double-digit-story buildings start rising around town. Doesn't have to be 12. Or even 11. But bloody 'ell, can we get out of the single digits please? I know I keep voicing my concern - that at some point, all the developable lots will be filled with 5, 7, 8-story buildings - and there will be no room for something 12, or 14, or 18, or 20 stories or more...

That's a ways off... I get that. But it's in the back of my mind. Can you blame me?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 1:19 PM, Downtowner said:

While I’m with you and wish we went for the full potential of the tod zoning with a lot of buildings I can’t help but say it has to be better than what’s on that site now.

These are not empty lots and have a dense industrial feel creating a gateway into Manchester.  I hope they are renovating with some infill.

image.thumb.png.e0ed32c761a38bcf851520fe416e1bec.png

Oh, I Miss RVA is not going to like this, but inside, I think we all saw it coming.  When it didn’t break ground when it was supposed to, we knew something was wrong.  It’s disappointing, but maybe the next developer will make this project even better!  The worse part is that there is an even longer delay in getting something built there.  Bruce Milam is listing the property.  Hopefully, he’ll have some insight as to what will eventually go there.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/12/20/site-for-twin-tower-apartment-project-rivers-edge-ii-back-on-market/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I’m super happy though. Hated those buildings and with the explosion of Manchester, we can do better. 

I'm excited that this site is moving again - i just hope we don't see what happened at 512 Hull where 12 story approved POD\plans were similarly offered up on a silver platter only to not find any takers and amended down to 6 stories. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Oh, I Miss RVA is not going to like this, but inside, I think we all saw it coming.  When it didn’t break ground when it was supposed to, we knew something was wrong.  It’s disappointing, but maybe the next developer will make this project even better!  The worse part is that there is an even longer delay in getting something built there.  Bruce Milam is listing the property.  Hopefully, he’ll have some insight as to what will eventually go there.  

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/12/20/site-for-twin-tower-apartment-project-rivers-edge-ii-back-on-market/

We did indeed see this coming. It's very concerning. Just like with the 512 Hull Street property, this one didn't get off the ground - and you just KNEW it would either get downsized or pulled. While I realize this isn't a problem unique to RVA, it does at least "feel" like RVA may be more susceptible to this happening than other cities -- perhaps because so many times developers (particularly local developers) just don't have deep ENOUGH pockets with withstand any delay beyond what might be "reasonable" for the market (economic downturn, uptick in costs (inflation, etc.), shaky financing options, etc.)  Look at what happened to that original Locks at 321 tower. That thing got delayed, Sun Trust eventually pulled out, and we get left with a nice "dense" but ugly-as-sin cigar box apartment building with zero height and guaranteed not as much density as the original 21-story glass building would have brought to that part of the riverfront.

It just seems like if an RVA project doesn't get underway within six to nine months after announcement, there starts to become a real chance it flat won't happen - or if it does, it will be much smaller than what was originally proposed. It's the RVA way. Seems to happen here all the time. The 512 Hull project has gotten shaved in half. This one has been kicked down the road to the next guy. What will go there? Townhouses? WHOOOP-TEEEE-FREAKIN-DOO...

Stay tuned for another boring 5, 6, 7 or (at very most) 8 story apartment building (and money says it'll be on the low side).

And guys, please spare me the "anything that gets built there is better than what's there now" drivel. No Shinola, Sherlock. We all know that. You know what that's called? SETTLING. I'm SICK of RVA settling so damn much when we could have a LOT better. 

Oh sure - we could see this project resurrected by the next guy -- or something even bigger, better, etc. I'm not holding my breath - and I'll believe it only once shovelfuls of dirt start getting turned. Been burned too many times by this damn city's economics to fall for that again.

@eandslee-- you're right. I'm not happy at all to hear this news - even though, like you said, we all knew this was coming -- months ago we knew it.

Well - for the time being - that's THREE high rise apartment buildings we can now take off the Manchester list.

Edited by I miss RVA

If the POD is approved, someone else may buy and construct this project as designed, am I wrong? It’s just that this team isn’t wanting to undertake at this point. It could always be something different as well. Personally find the design hideous but the density and height are attractive. Hoping for something more appealing without compromising density. Some of these projects are smaller but you will be pleased with others as well soon. 

• Like 1