Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

I hope they replace it with a better looking street light.  Why does this city have so many street lights on wooden poles with the power cables running on top?  This must be another one of those "unique" things about Richmond.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Those are around the Current.  There are new street lights on that block of Hull.  I think these lights surround the new development across the street too (where Stella’s and the Continental are )? 

So right now, new to that stretch of Hull in Manchester. Curious if the city will install these elsewhere? They're really sweet looking. Glad to see stuff like this is getting a really new facelift along Hull, corresponding with the new development there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Only place I've seen these are in pictures along Hull Street near the new development. They may be in other parts of the city, though.

I've seen these and like them, mostly.  My only issue is there's no cohesive plan for things like this and would like to see all the same everywhere, which isn't possible for budget reasons I'm sure, so to  me, they stand out unnecessarily.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hike said:

Yeah, that's the stuff that drives me crazy!

I'm with you on that one. Tbh, now that RVA is growing so fantastically and starting to look and feel more "big city" in a lot of ways, I'm finding the old wooden utility poles to be quite off-putting. THAT just SCREAMS "small town" in my book. I'd rather have the real deal - which, of course, are expensive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This article writes that the Box will be 7 floors which is a nice surprise for me, I thought it was only 5.

I have definitely had this one listed at 7 for a while.  I think the other building on that block is to likely be only 5.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This article writes that the Box will be 7 floors which is a nice surprise for me, I thought it was only 5. 

This new lot would be a great place for Manchester’s first hotel / condo combo.  20 floors sounds about right :) 

From your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

They also need to invest in the infrastructure pretty badly. Sidewalks and street lighting and deficient in many places. 

"...but the schools!!!"

Oh wait...

:tw_joy:

Seriously, fully agreed, Coupe. Sidewalks and street lighting in Manchester has been a mess for years, no doubt.

How is it being handled with new developments right now? Are developers taking on the costs of installing new sidewalks? How about street lights? Those babies in front of and near the Current on Hull are GORGEOUS! I'd love to see those guys become THE STANDARD in Manchester (elsewhere, too, quite frankly) - though I'm sure they're plenty expensive. I much prefer metal utility poles to old-fashioned wood telephone poles. We need to realize - "we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto..."

Edited by I miss RVA

1 minute ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

City puts it on the developer for new projects which is fine. But they should invest where that isn’t happing. Fill in the missing teeth so to speak. 

Is there any kind of standardization in a situation where you have two or more developers all building out their own city blocks within immediate proximity of each other? So technically, the quality, style,design, etc., of sidewalk and the style and make of street lighting could theoretically change block-to-block if you had developers building adjacent blocks?

5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This new lot would be a great place for Manchester’s first hotel / condo combo.  20 floors sounds about right :) 

Agreed, IMO anything built near Commerce rd should push for taller heights.

Edited by Jordon
  • Like 3