Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Another spot rezoning request for the lower Manchester area . Again,  out of the Markham shop ... this one poised to take 1200 Dinwiddie - over 3 acres-  from M-1 industrial zoning to B-7 mixed use commercial.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/767d8bd8-2c2f-4a8a-897c-e84461e6df72

Dear God, don't let the Thalhimer people get ahold of this parcel!  Guarantee you they'll plop another dreadful "Pit Stop/Splash N Dash" drive-through convenience store/car wash combo along with the latest, trendiest "Pig N Swig" drive-through BBQ and milkshake joint, complete (of course!) with PLENTY of car-friendly, "complimentary FREE PARKING!!!" 

:tw_flushed:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

11 acre parcel at 1100 Dinwiddie Ave is available for a long term lease.  Looks like they are marketing it for redevelopment.

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/1100DinwiddieAve-GroundLease.pdf

Too bad they don't have it up for sale. A developer with deep enough pockets and matching ambition could go in there and have themselves an absolute field day with a parcel the equivalent size of three city blocks in an (essentially) undeveloped section of a booming part of the city. That has high-density residential/mixed use written all over it. 

Is there ANYONE who could go over to the Thalhimer people and kindly, gently, grab them by their collective shirt collars and with a resounding shake, sternly inform them - "Ya'll are BLOWING it for this city, do you know that? Let's get with the program here and push the city forward. Enough of the stupid stuff. There's plenty of money to be made - and you'll make WAY more if you either sell or develop some high-octane, high-intensity projects. Manchester is booming. Don't do to it what you're doing to Greater Scott's, capisce?"

I know... that conversation will never happen. But ohhhhh how I wish... 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Too bad they don't have it up for sale. A developer with deep enough pockets and matching ambition could go in there and have themselves an absolute field day with a parcel the equivalent size of three city blocks in an (essentially) undeveloped section of a booming part of the city. That has high-density residential/mixed use written all over it. 

Is there ANYONE who could go over to the Thalhimer people and kindly, gently, grab them by their collective shirt collars and with a resounding shake, sternly inform them - "Ya'll are BLOWING it for this city, do you know that? Let's get with the program here and push the city forward. Enough of the stupid stuff. There's plenty of money to be made - and you'll make WAY more if you either sell or develop some high-octane, high-intensity projects. Manchester is booming. Don't do to it what you're doing to Greater Scott's, capisce?"

I know... that conversation will never happen. But ohhhhh how I wish... 

FYI, Thalhimer is the one behind the huge Ash / Leigh Addition development so they are doing some appropriately scaled projects.

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/LeighAddition.pdf

13 hours ago, rjp212 said:

11 acre parcel at 1100 Dinwiddie Ave is available for a long term lease.  Looks like they are marketing it for redevelopment.

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/1100DinwiddieAve-GroundLease.pdf

Noting that this is adjacent to the parcel that just requested a zoning change to B-4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/IconatCityView.pdf

any update on this? Completely forgot about this hopefully going to go up in Manchester? 

As far as I know, nothing ever happened with it. I'm not sure if it's been taken off the table altogether or what exactly happened to it.

• 3 weeks later...

This might slip under the radar - but it's worthy of mention. A small/rehab project near 15th and Hull. Good to see this happening outside of the "primary" epicenter of big redevelopment going on in Manchester. There are plenty of developable blocks in this part of Manchester that, no doubt, over the next 10 years or so will be filled with new apartment buildings. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/23/developer-buys-former-southside-hardware-building-on-hull-street/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Mayo Island is on the market for $19,000,000

Mayo Island

According to the master plan for the James River Parks System, Mayo Island is to eventually become a park like Belles Island. The city needs a to find a way to get that property. I think I'd rather see a really cool park with trails here than more development.

• Like 1

Agreed - Echo Harbor was a big let down. Agelasto and his Capital Region conservancy seem to be small  single minded in this regard. If i wanted to go to a river soley surrounded by parkland I could drive to any state park. We have  a unique settlement geography here - bring the city down to the river. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree that Mayo Island shouldn’t just be park space.  The elderly and disabled would like to enjoy the river too.   There is little opportunity for them at the river now.   West side of Mayo could be a natural park but the east side should have restaurant and retail with boat slips.  At the very least it should be a more formal park (like a rose garden, hardscaped paths (handicap assessable), a reflecting pool with remote control boats to rent etc…

• Like 3

Echo Harbor was a huge disappointment.  It was exactly the type of development we need on the riverfront, and in that area in general to better connect Rockett's to the city proper.  We have tons of park space, we don't need another fallow field to add to it.  Echo Harbor should have been built and the Conservancy Center should have gone on Mayo Island with "developed" park space that's more accessible to kids and olds.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 2

Build something on it like a iconic monument (that everyone can be proud of) and which will serve as a signature icon (since we can't get a tower built to do the same).  Or put a big Ferris wheel on it with shops, boat slips...or my dream:

I'd love to see someone develop a no-kidding white water park (the James would serve as that park) with added rapids (to provide more class III and IV rapids) with a real course that can be repeated (somehow the waterflow would have to be controlled)...Mayo Island would be the let-out point of that course and serve as the central office of that operation with a village of shops and activities that would serve as a huge tourist draw.  Now that would be awesome!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

@Icetera& @whw53-- fully agreed. We have more than enough parkland. What we need is the kind of development that Echo Harbor would have provided. The torpedoing of Echo Harbor (and, folks, I don't think we can call it anything LESS than that - the project didn't fail - it was kneecapped and the city is as culpable as the whole band of NIMBYs) was a gut punch and a completely wasted opportunity for something really spectacular along the riverfront.  

Mayo Island development has been pitched a few times this century. Here are a couple of articles from the Times-Dispatch - one from 2014, the other originally from 2008 - updated in 2019, plus an interesting story about a proposed 250K sq ft office building for the island in Style Weekly from 2006.

RTD from 2014:

https://richmond.com/business/mayo-island-on-the-market-again/article_95b87270-0827-11e4-8ab4-001a4bcf6878.html

RTD from 2008 - updated in 2019:

https://richmond.com/business/mayo-island-development-proposed/article_be55419f-d85b-5b6f-bda2-b8b6655ab8cf.html

Style Weekly from 2006:

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/mayo-island-office-building-in-the-works/Content?oid=1379358

And here are some pictures showing the primary problem facing Mayo Island: It sits below the 100-year flood-line. The entire island - and the entirety of the 14th Street Bridge - were completely submerged by floodwaters from Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972. AMAZING just how deep into Manchester the flood waters actually went. Considering that the Downtown and Manchester flood walls did not exist in 1972,  it's clear that the island and current bridge are all the more vulnerable today because the flood line is artificially 'raised' above pre-flood wall levels. An Agnes-level amount of floodwater contained by the two flood walls will rise considerably higher along this stretch of the James than it did in 1972, when Mayo Island and the 14th Street Bridge essentially 'disappeared'.

As @wrldcoupe4said, any form of meaningful commercial development (particularly if there is any residential component) and the infrastructure needed to support it is greatly complicated by this factor.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-05-at-6.38.10-AM.jpg

7790613150_712fa3e60b_k.jpg

7790618724_cc5e83aaff_z.jpg

7790622800_30ae1a74ed_k-2.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA