Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

The Drive-thru will be a Starbucks.   While nothing exciting, the addition of Starbucks and Chipotle to the neighborhood show that national brands are willing to venture into the neighborhood.  Hopefully that means a grocery store isn't too far behind.

Hopefully over time we'll see those kinds of food vendors transition from drive-thru to storefront as Manchester grows and densifies. Once lower Hull Street (north of Commerce Road) is REALLY packed with apartment buildings and hopefully more commercial/office/mixed-use development takes place in the northern portion of Manchester as well) we'll start to see places like Starbucks, Chipotle, etc., opening up storefronts on Hull or perhaps in a high-rise residential building nearer to the riverfront. Recall the discussed/proposed (there was a rendering in RBS I believe in Novemberish of 2020) 16-story residential building at 701 Commerce Road was the location discussed for a ground-floor-level grocery store with residential/mixed use above. That's the direct in which I hope and pray Manchester will trend in the coming years.

44 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Whoa!  This is the first movement we've seen on this project and is the only news we've heard in a very long while.  Could this mean that an announcement of their plan is coming soon?  Certainly hope so!  Exciting!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

Oh HOLY MOLY!! This is certainly a huge step forward. Makes me wonder if we'll see/hear something in the relatively near future about what may be about to enter the pipeline.

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Whoa!  This is the first movement we've seen on this project and is the only news we've heard in a very long while.  Could this mean that an announcement of their plan is coming soon?  Certainly hope so!  Exciting!

I had started wondering about this one - lots of radio silence for just about a year. SO good to see this is finally moving forward.

As a reminder, here are the last major articles published about the site and potential project:

RBS from May of 2021:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/17/hourigans-southern-states-silos-rezoning-heads-to-planning-commission/

Richmond Times-Dispatch - From June, 2021

https://richmond.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/so-long-silos-hourigan-plans-high-rise-where-southern-states-building-now-sits-in-manchester/article_86b9f60a-31fc-5390-9c27-0fc624824f0e.html

Finally, a really cool article on the Explanders website from this past March. It makes mention of the fact that the silos are soon to be demo'd in favor of a mixed-use project - and references the Hydro as "an adjacent residential building, a prelude to Southern States Silos' ultimate destiny."

https://explanders.com/north-america-the-caribbean/usa/virginia/richmond/southern-states-silos/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Some bad news. Port RVA second phase has been downsized from 12 to 6 stories.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/04/portrva-developers-about-to-construct-downsized-mixed-use-building-next-door/

Yea we caught the amended POD docs few months - it may have been pushed off the top page quickly due to the fallout  - i've come around though and am glad to see this breaking ground soon . When I saw the headline tho it did feel like RBS scratching at old wounds for a minute. Actually, surprised this wasn't reported earlier.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, rjp212 said:

The Drive-thru will be a Starbucks.   While nothing exciting, the addition of Starbucks and Chipotle to the neighborhood show that national brands are willing to venture into the neighborhood.  Hopefully that means a grocery store isn't too far behind.

Drive thru Starbucks ain’t exciting, but a) that’s all Starbucks is building these days, and b) that’s what outside the downtown core neighborhoods  have everywhere from LA to Las Cruces and anywhere in between. Besides, the drive-thru on the Boulevard takes up a small footprint and feeds from/to a side street. It can be done.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 3:39 PM, I miss RVA said:

It really would be great to have him onboard. Hard to know if he's here or not - most folks play things really close to the vest - but since he's  very public on both RBS and the RTD commentaries to real estate and development stories, perhaps he would be less veiled here. 

Un fortunately, I do not think he is over here.  I can tell most of your RBS/Reddit accounts based on comment style.

On 5/3/2022 at 7:10 AM, eandslee said:

Really, I wish CoStar had taken the money they used to buy this new building in Manchester to add height to their tower. Just think what 117K sq ft added to the top of their tower would do?  So glad they all in for Richmond though!  What a huge deal for downtown, Richmond, and those that will work there.  Hopefully, they will help attract other companies to come to Richmond and do the same. 

I see this as them purchasing the building to use as a temporary home while the tower is under construction.  This allows them to ramp up staff rather than the new tower sitting nearly empty for a while.  They can then sell or lease out once completed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Drive thru Starbucks ain’t exciting, but a) that’s all Starbucks is building these days, and b) that’s what outside the downtown core neighborhoods  have everywhere from LA to Las Cruces and anywhere in between. Besides, the drive-thru on the Boulevard takes up a small footprint and feeds from/to a side street. It can be done.

very accurate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Wait - isn't the Commodore going up at 7th and Hull? the Current is at 4th & Hull. There's another BIG project going up directly across Hull from the Current but there are so many projects being built right now, I don't recall which one that is.

It may have been a little passed  The Current.  But definitely on the opposite side of Hull.  I wasn’t expecting to see it , so it caught me off guard at first.  Great things are happening.