Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

22 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Wait - isn't the Commodore going up at 7th and Hull? the Current is at 4th & Hull. There's another BIG project going up directly across Hull from the Current but there are so many projects being built right now, I don't recall which one that is.

22 hours ago, skinsfan said:

It may have been a little passed  The Current.  But definitely on the opposite side of Hull.  I wasn’t expecting to see it , so it caught me off guard at first.  Great things are happening. 

Definitely talking about the Commodore as that hole is quite massive.  No movement yet on other project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

looks like more dirt is to be turned along Semmes - almost ignored this one as i thought it was for Belle Heights Phase 2, but no this ZCL covers the 2 tracts directly west controlled by Bulifant Construction Group. New project would bring 80-100 units onto this corridor - ok,  punting to now to RichmondBizSense for the deets!

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/19fc75ed-1afb-4ddf-96cb-344a0999792c

fyi here is a quick markup of current dev projects along Semmes  (from cowardin)

Yellow - Thalhimer retail project (under construction)

light blue- Vytal Studios (under construction)

reddish - Belle Heights ph 1 - townhomes - (under construction)

green - Belle Heights ph 2 - apartments - (planning)

dark blue - The Hollands at Perry St. (SCDHA housing project) - duplexes - (under construction)

Magenta - new Bulifant project (planning)

i may have the line a little off between Belle Hights and Vytal but you get the point - 

also the Fresenius facility is under construction as well - directly south of Cowardin from the Thalhimer corner slot. 

Semmes_devs.jpg

Holy WOW!  Amazing that Swansboro is now starting to heat up almost as much as Manchester has been. I was wondering how long it would take for the spillover to really take hold in Swansboro. Looks like we have our answer!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Tower crane base in the hole at the Commodore. 

YES!!!

Is the tower crane still up at the Tidewater? Once the one at the Commodore rises, we'll have to get some pictures before the one at the Tidewater is taken down - it'll be nice to see two tower cranes in Manchester.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

YES!!!

Is the tower crane still up at the Tidewater? Once the one at the Commodore rises, we'll have to get some pictures before the one at the Tidewater is taken down - it'll be nice to see two tower cranes in Manchester.

It should be up still for a while.

• Thanks 1

This base has been in the hole for a few weeks now.  The Hull Street side of the hole is still just dirt.   They have been building walls around the permitter and I suspect that when that is finished, the crane will go up.  I look for it every day lol (I live about 2 blocks away). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

This base has been in the hole for a few weeks now.  The Hull Street side of the hole is still just dirt.   They have been building walls around the permitter and I suspect that when that is finished, the crane will go up.  I look for it every day lol (I live about 2 blocks away). 

How are you liking it there in Manchester? No doubt - VERY different vibe from HJW, no? 

Say - if you happen to find yourself meandering about on an evening or weekend constitutional, perhaps your walking path might take you past the Commodore hole as well as the project site across from the Current? You know how much we all salivate over updated pictures (and your snap of the Box construction around the first of the month was fantastic - what's that guy looking like now, I wonder?)

Your outstanding photos are always appreciated, my friend!

I’ll snap some shots this evening. 

I definitely miss Jackson Ward.  Manchester is OK and it’s fun being some place that is changing quickly…but it’s not really the same as living in Richmond (I know, it’s still technically the city).   I feel like a person that left San Francisco for Oakland, or Manhattan for Brooklyn.   Brooklyn and Oakland are cool and all but they aren’t the real deal.  I’m afraid that in the time I’m living over here, downtown (from the Fan to Church Hill) will become too expensive for me to ever move back.  I probably should have sucked up the extra expense of living in the cultural center of the city.  Living adjacent to it is nice enough but I feel a lot less cooL LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I definitely miss Jackson Ward.  Manchester is OK and it’s fun being some place that is changing quickly…but it’s not really the same as living in Richmond (I know, it’s still technically the city).   I feel like a person that left San Francisco for Oakland, or Manhattan for Brooklyn.   Brooklyn and Oakland are cool and all but they aren’t the real deal.  I’m afraid that in the time I’m living over here, downtown (from the Fan to Church Hill) will become too expensive for me to ever move back.  I probably should have sucked up the extra expense of living in the cultural center of the city.  Living adjacent to it is nice enough but I feel a lot less cooL LOL. 

Great analogy! And it makes perfect sense -- and it's really cool that it aligns nicely. Makes perfect sense that Manchester would feel like you moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn or SF to Oakland. The dynamic is similar in a lot of ways. And I'm sure this argument has been offered numerous times in New York - by folks who left Manhattan for Brooklyn and lamented that the cost of living "in the city" rose so much in the time they were gone - that moving back was an impossiblity.

I'll be curious to see just how much rents rise in downtown and immediate adjacent neighborhoods once buildings like the Admiral and Parc View and other large residential projects (such as Locks 7 and Bakery Lofts) are constructed and filled.

17 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I'm also in Manchester. For me the bonuses are the view of downtown and access to the river. 

• Like 4

@Brent114THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for ZLL of these AMAZING walk-thru shots showing just HOW MUCH the face of RVA - and in this case, the face of Manchester - is changing - and how QUICKLY it's changing - and for the latest shot of the install of the tower crane.

@rjp212THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the quick update of the install of the tower crane.

So with the Tidewater chugging along and the Box chugging along and the Commodore chugging along - we have three major projects simultaneously underway in Manchester. Annnnnd... aren't there at least one or two others that are slated to break ground soon-- if they have not already done so -- farther north along Hull (I'm thinking one being right across from the Current and the other one somewhere around E. 2nd Street)?

Wow - it appears that Manchester is doing right now what Scott's did for the better part of 2020-21, when five major projects rose simultaneously.

Once the Commodore crane is fully up and running, we'll have to get some "distance" shots showing both cranes up over Manchester.

Wow - the first couple of pictures in the thread -- if I didn't know better - I would say were taken somewhere on the North Side of Chicago. To me THAT is VERY telling - and it is demonstrating that RVA is FINALLY starting to GROW UP and become a REAL city. 

Gentlemen, all of the pictures that you both took are fantastic and EXTREMELY appreciated! I say this alot - probably as a former journalist - but we need to chronicle photographically EVERY SINGLE CHANGE that RVA is enjoying, much the way Edith Shelton chronicled a changing Richmond from the late 40s and 50s into the 1980s. With all my heart, I cannot stress the importance of chronicling all of this. It's awesome that we've got such amazing folks in our community here who do exactly that. Guys, keep those photos coming!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see this. Bon Secours is expanding into the southwestern portion of Manchester at 2301 Everett Street with a new facility for folks without insurance. Greatly needed, to be sure!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/10/bon-secours-planning-clinic-near-manchester-for-uninsured-people/

Screenshot (1821).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2