Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

City Council passed the following re-zonings into the city zoning map at their Monday meeting. Both have been discussed here. 

1. 600 Decatur St (B7 to B4)

2. 1200 Dinwiddie (M1 to B7)

Wow - that's great news!

Okay - 6th and Decatur. B4. So that's across 6th or across Decatur or catty-corner across both from The Box. Which parcel(s) in question? (Sorry I'm being lazy in not scrolling through and looking it up - it's been a long week) I'd be curious to know what might be in the offing if they're not simply stopping at TOD-1 zoning but are going full-tilt for B4? 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Wow - that's great news!

Okay - 6th and Decatur. B4. So that's across 6th or across Decatur or catty-corner across both from The Box. Which parcel(s) in question? (Sorry I'm being lazy in not scrolling through and looking it up - it's been a long week) I'd be curious to know what might be in the offing if they're not simply stopping at TOD-1 zoning but are going full-tilt for B4? 

Never mind - I found it. So it's the entire south side of Decatur Street between 6th and 7th. No details in the filings as to WHAT is planned for this site. @whw53have you gotten wind of anything other than what's in the official paperwork with the city? I'm very curious to know what they have in mind to go for upzoning THAT far above what was previously there. B4 is a HUGE step up for that block in Manchester.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/116256-manchester-development/?do=findComment&comment=1791213

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for taking these and posting, @Richmonopoly! It's so cool to see Manchester chugging forward with so many new projects being built. They're making quite a bit of headway on the Commodore (7th and Hull) with that boom crane up - surprising how quickly the construction is going there. :tw_thumbsup:

I'm surprised by just how prominent a presence the Tidewater is on the Manchester riverfront. While not tall, it adds a ton of depth, density, beef, etc., to the burgeoning skyline of Manchester. Here's hoping we see River's Edge II and South Falls II and III get underway relatively soon. I know costs are still through the roof - hopefully they'll start to settle back down and some of the latent projects we've been waiting for can get started.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What’s up with that? Are we waiting for a court date or something?  

This was a huge blow to Manchester. It would be such a different scene along this part of Hull if these businesses were open. Plus, the view from Dogtown was great.  Would like to see it with the newly built buildings father north in Manchester.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Speaking of Manchester…from tonight’s walk…

The Box is topped out.

The Commodore is still very much below grade.

The Tidewater (is that the name?) is getting windows.   There’s something interesting going on at the roofline.  Looks like some brackets to attach decorative thingies are being added to the corners. 

48D75B9C-D665-43F1-A1B3-A214197EB9AF.jpeg

AE8A62F3-3A1F-4B20-BC8F-127B5AEF0B96.jpeg

858A9666-6741-4B46-B9D8-79CEDAEABEF2.jpeg

C6DB3D7D-078F-427A-88E0-DD31F2BD5396.jpeg

EB749B18-1069-475F-B860-BD478EFAFF49.jpeg

69074B6B-4F88-4C34-B59D-A5B98DBD9F51.jpeg

E6AE9732-BBD6-4D8B-A4FA-DE61A4C432AD.jpeg

0E7E1165-96C7-436B-BA92-1EBA41179E97.jpeg

9A416403-1675-491E-AAA4-EA5B64ED9625.jpeg

2891C8D0-F1F8-4D2C-A32B-82F030CA474B.jpeg

@Brent114-- thanks so much for taking these amazing pix! With the Box having topped out now - Decatur Street looks like it's from a totally different city. Maybe somewhere in Brooklyn or Philadelphia. And with the Tidewater juxtaposed with the other larger developments west of Commerce Road, the streetscape looking back toward the office building on Semmes is beautiful. 

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The Current is the best looking and best program of new development in Manchester. 

Best looking - architecturally? Yeah, it's a sweet looking development, to be sure. Can't disagree there. I'll be interested to see how these others that are progressing along turn out after all is said and done.

Best new program - because of the mixed-use component with office and retail/food?

And one of those "okay, what's next?" questions:  The Tidewater is rounding third base and heading for home... the Box -- freshly topped out -- is rolling through second base and is chugging along... the Commodore is in the batters box taking some good cuts -- it's well underway and making a LOT of progress VERY quickly. So that begs the question: of the many projects announced over the last couple of years for Manchester, particularly a bunch along the Hull Street corridor - do we know what projects might be in the on-deck circle waiting to come to bat? Any insight as to which ones might be next to break ground and will be getting underway (maybe with a tower crane!) by the time the Tidewater and the Box wrap up?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

I got lunch last weekend with my wife and child in Manchester and was stunned how it has been developed. I don't come out there much as anyone I knew living there moved out 3-4 years ago. It's changed quite a bit since then.

Now, seeing these pictures, I clearly am seeing different sides to Manchester from last weekend. Unbelievable how we are essentially building another city across our river. 

If I didn't have a child, I'd be very interested in buying one of those 3-4 story condo buildings that face the river and have a view of the city with a rooftop. You simply can't get that anywhere else in RVA now and you definitely won't in the future. Right next to the JRPS trails as well.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Eagle Construction sales department! :tw_joy:

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 3

I believe the 812 Hull project is set to start soon in front of the courthouse. Hopefully the design has improved some. The 'Trailhead' apartment site across from Caravati shoud be turning dirt soon as well.

Would love to see news\detail on the Silos and Sampson Coatings sites. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

812 can’t start soon enough.  The design isn’t that hot but connecting all of these new apartment  /office buildings to the actual town part of Manchester is sorely needed. 

psychologically I have such a hard time crossing Commerce Rd on foot.  That part of Manchester feels so disconnected from my part.  The new townhomes where the community garden was (Bainbridge and 9th) should help too. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I got lunch last weekend with my wife and child in Manchester and was stunned how it has been developed. I don't come out there much as anyone I knew living there moved out 3-4 years ago. It's changed quite a bit since then.

Now, seeing these pictures, I clearly am seeing different sides to Manchester from last weekend. Unbelievable how we are essentially building another city across our river. 

If I didn't have a child, I'd be very interested in buying one of those 3-4 story condo buildings that face the river and have a view of the city with a rooftop. You simply can't get that anywhere else in RVA now and you definitely won't in the future. Right next to the JRPS trails as well.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Eagle Construction sales department! :tw_joy:

1.) It's amazing how quickly Manchester is changing. Given everything in the pipeline, should all of it come to pass, the change will be even more dramatic in the coming next few years.

2.) WELL SAID, @ancientcarpenter!!  We really are, essentially, building another city across the river from downtown, and there's some pretty cool irony, given that at one time, Manchester WAS a separate city until it merged with Richmond in 1910. I'd be curious to know if we have available anywhere population figures specifically for Manchester. It will be interesting to see if, say five or 10 years from now, if Manchester will have the largest population of any specific section of Richmond, much the way Brooklyn is the largest borough by population of New York City.

3.) Those city views, no doubt, are spectacular. Anyone who gets into a place on the Manchester riverfront -- whether it's one of those condos or South Falls or (if it's ever built, River's Edge II), or down the road South Falls II (and please, God, South Falls III) and whatever gets built on the Silos site... holy wow - can you imagine having a front row seat to watching the downtown RVA skyline changing, growing, evolving, over the coming decade(s)?

4.) JRPS trails proximity - you can't beat that! :tw_thumbsup:

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

I believe the 812 Hull project is set to start soon in front of the courthouse. Hopefully the design has improved some. The 'Trailhead' apartment site across from Caravati shoud be turning dirt soon as well.

Would love to see news\detail on the Silos and Sampson Coatings sites. 

What's doing with the big project (8 stories, I believe) that's supposed to rise on Hull Street between 4th and 5th across from the Current?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Looks like the company tied to Tidewater is attempting to rezoning the lot next to it.  Wasn't this once planned to be mixed use with a possible grocery store?  Now looks to be 260 units.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/106f92f8-7f75-4d45-a3c1-9b41d1a95bda?tab=attachments

Wait...how big is the lot next to the Tidewater and given the lot size, what do you all suppose is the height estimate?  This sounds like pretty good news!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Looks like the company tied to Tidewater is attempting to rezoning the lot next to it.  Wasn't this once planned to be mixed use with a possible grocery store?  Now looks to be 260 units.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/106f92f8-7f75-4d45-a3c1-9b41d1a95bda?tab=attachments

This is in between Tidewater and the project you reference (201 W. Commerce Road).

4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wait...how big is the lot next to the Tidewater and given the lot size, what do you all suppose is the height estimate?  This sounds like pretty good news!

For comparison, the 6-floor Tidewater is 221 units.  If this is only using half the block, as it appears (perhaps ZCL not needed for Commerce half?), then I would imagine it would have to be around 12-14 floors.  If the entire block, then 6-7.  The 201 Commerce Road building was listed at 16 for 250 units plus commercial ground floor on half a block.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Icetera said:

For comparison, the 6-floor Tidewater is 221 units.  If this is only using half the block, as it appears (perhaps ZCL not needed for Commerce half?), then I would imagine it would have to be around 12-14 floors.  If the entire block, then 6-7.  The 201 Commerce Road building was listed at 16 for 250 units plus commercial ground floor on half a block.

Looks like the property is zoned B-7 and, as mentioned earlier, they are looking to rezone...then that means we could be looking at as many as ~14 stories if they get the rezoning approved AND we are only talking a half block.

• Like 1

ZCL is just a due diligence step with the city that scope of plan and use is consistent with district before anything formal has been filed.  May not need rezoning or SUP here or not but that's why this step exists - it's preliminary.

A rezoning filing would be of type RZON in city portal fyi.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm wondering if they're taking the entire block square and/or why the Commerce Road side stops at 311 W. Commerce whereas the 7th Street side goes all the way to McDonough (326 W. 7th) ... is it because of the incline that Commerce makes rising to the entrance of the Manchester Bridge? Either way - am guessing something a little taller than the Tidewater - maybe in the 6 to 8 story range, depending on how much of the entire block is used (see below), and roughly 30 more apartments than the Tidewater. Somewhat disappointing from a "what could have been" standpoint - but a promising and very exciting development nonetheless.

Here's how the site lines up based on the paperwork filed. Note the addresses listed on the attachements filed with the city.

Screenshot (2047).png

Screenshot (2046).png

Screenshot (2045).png

Screenshot (2043).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1