Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

42 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Not sure what project this is. It is right next to Continental in Manchester - 609 Hull St, Richmond, VA 23224

man.jpg

man2.jpg

Awesome!  Thanks for posting these - sweet pics!  Anyone else here remember the Commodore 64?  Can't help but to think of that every time I read or hear the name!  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Awesome!  Thanks for posting these - sweet pics!  Anyone else here remember the Commodore 64?  Can't help but to think of that every time I read or hear the name!  LOL!

That’s funny because I think of these guys, shows the gap in time between us I think.

https://youtu.be/7XcTyEKSnYg

3 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

Some extra long distant pics.

9155E73F-052D-4A41-90DB-599323B8049C.jpeg

that’s a mishmash of styles and textures, awesome look.  Thanks for posting!

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

Oh, I can totally see these guys as well!  That came out in 1977; I was 3 years old and remember hearing that song quite a bit in my youth!

I think I may have danced at a school dance to this plus Lionel Richie went on to be a part of a prom or two, wow, saying this, how many proms did I go to? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Oh, I can totally see these guys as well!  That came out in 1977; I was 3 years old and remember hearing that song quite a bit in my youth!

Jesus - I was 15 in 1977 - and yes, I had a C-64, and later on a C-128 before finally graduating to the Commodore Amiga, which was lightyears ahead of its time back in the day. A high school buddy of mine also had one of the old Commodore VIC-20s before "upgrading" to the C-64. :tw_joy:

Oh my God - the old cassette tape drive... I can remember loading in what I'm guessing was no more than about a 30K program - and going to the kitchen, making myself a sandwich, getting a beverage, coming back - and the program WAS STILL LOADING!!! 

• Like 1

@CitiWalker-- thanks SO much for taking and posting the amazing pix! So amazing how quickly Manchester is growing and changing. Beautiful photos!

@Hike-- I just had a flashback to my freshman year in high school. I still remember my first high school dance with plenty of selection by the Commodores. CLASSIC stuff!

• Like 1

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/30/manchester-may-at-long-last-be-getting-a-grocery-store-as-apartments-stack-up/

any update on this project? 201 commerce road the developer was or is still working on trying to find a grocery store. Also it’s supposed to be 12-16 floors from what I remember. Any one heard anything on this one?

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/30/manchester-may-at-long-last-be-getting-a-grocery-store-as-apartments-stack-up/

any update on this project? 201 commerce road the developer was or is still working on trying to find a grocery store. Also it’s supposed to be 12-16 floors from what I remember. Any one heard anything on this one?

Behind the paywall...ugh...

26 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Wow! This one is a biggie!

11 and 17 story tower announced for the plot of land in front of legend brewing. Huge news so I’ll let the comments play out, but pretty cool to hear that the tallest building in Manchester may be coming soon!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/18/n-y-developers-plotting-manchesters-tallest-tower-on-riverfront-next-to-legend-brewing/

Out come the NIMBYs…

Geez.

I think this announcement is really just a test to see what Manchester’s reaction would be…and I have a feeling that it will not be received well due to the height and blocked views.  I don’t think this will end up being 17 stories…it may come back down to 11 or 12 stories and layout adjustments will be made to allow better views for residents and businesses.  Furthermore, given that a zoning change would be needed to build a 17-story tower (if it’s built at all), this project is nowhere near breaking ground. They don’t even have a finalized design yet.  We’ll see how this plays out, but I have a feeling that the NIMBYs will win out here. Hope these guys from NY are prepared to face what they are about to encounter.  
Fun story, but I’m not getting my hopes up. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Out come the NIMBYs…

Geez.

I think this announcement is really just a test to see what Manchester’s reaction would be…and I have a feeling that it will not be received well due to the height and blocked views.  I don’t think this will end up being 17 stories…it may come back down to 11 or 12 stories and layout adjustments will be made to allow better views for residents and businesses.  Furthermore, given that a zoning change would be needed to build a 17-story tower (if it’s built at all), this project is nowhere near breaking ground. They don’t even have a finalized design yet.  We’ll see how this plays out, but I have a feeling that the NIMBYs will win out here. Hope these guys from NY are prepared to face what they are about to encounter.  
Fun story, but I’m not getting my hopes up. 

Given that Legend v.p. and a Manchester Alliance board member/new Manchester resident that will have their view obstructed already have issues with the height, plus the fact it will have to be rezoned, to me, this is already over as for tallest building in Manchester.  Let’s  hope the project still moves forward even with a lower height.
It does drive me crazy though, as an example, do people that are not on beach front property argue that a new building is blocking their view to the ocean when something’s built on the ocean front? Also, wouldn’t legend still have people come there for the beer, are they worried it’s only for the view? 

Edited by Hike

Just now, upzoningisgood said:

Worst case scenario they’ve already been approved for the original twin tower design so there should be some decent density in that site regardless.

They might even do this in phases.  Get the shorter phase done first since the the zoning is there and then work on zoning for the taller tower as the other (shorter) one is being built. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Maybe that 2 story carve out is intended to give Legend its view ? 
Moving their restaurant into one of these new buildings sounds like a no brained to me.  They get their view and an additional 500-700 customers. 

yes, this is a good idea, hopefully they read this.

• Like 1

17 story would be great. This would not only give a green light to other developers/investors that higher density does work / is profitable but also developers will go higher because they will want their condos/apartments to have a view of the city. We are going to see Manchester become quite a view from both sides of the river!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Nearly every block around Legend's has been bought, so I imagine their days are numbered. If I were them, I'd sell their land at a premium, and relocate into the base of this building.  Imagine them taking the 2 story portion between the two buildings and putting in a rooftop.   

I hope they don’t put up too much fuss and do something like this.