Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

I don’t know that the nimbyism will be very effective here.  Aside from Legend, no one with any political clout can oppose this is right?  The apartment buildings are full of renters (no clout) and it isn’t like people won’t rent those units anyway, even if the view is partially obscured.  Of course from my perspective, a few buildings in the foreground add to the skyline.  It’s actually very easy to see around a building that is 2-3 blocks away too . 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I don’t know that the nimbyism will be very effective here.  Aside from Legend, no one with any political clout can oppose this is right?  The apartment buildings are full of renters (no clout) and it isn’t like people won’t rent those units anyway, even if the view is partially obscured.  Of course from my perspective, a few buildings in the foreground add to the skyline.  It’s actually very easy to see around a building that is 2-3 blocks away too . 

The article mentioned these potential opposition.

Legend v.p. and a Manchester Allianceboard member/new Manchester resident, who bought a home on the hill next to legend.

46 minutes ago, Jordon said:

I wish I did, just and ordinary guy interested in development lol, these screenshots are from the Manchester Alliance meeting that they post every 2nd Tuesday of every month. 

Where do they post these and do we have access?

• Like 2

A side thought to all of this: not that the two sections of the city are in a "race" to out-develop the other, but there's little question that if this development comes to pass, it will CLEARLY put Manchester in the lead ahead of Scott's Addition as THE hottest location for new development and far-and-away the fastest growing section of RVA. Can you imagine Manchester in another five or so years with these towers, as well as something substantial in size and (hopefully) height on the Silos site, plus South Falls II (and hopefully III), and other large developments on Commerce Road (perhaps that 12-to-16 story building) ??  Even with what's going on in Scott's right now, Manchester would begin pulling away (in a manner of speaking) with the lead in development were all these projects to come to pass (plus everything else currently in the pipeline). As @ancientcarpentersaid the other day - it's akin to developing an entirely new city on the south bank of the James.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Dogtown Dish has gone from "pro-anything Hild" to essentially a NIMBY reddit forum.  17-story building is the same as us becoming Hong Kong.  The horrors!

Your post sent me to their Facebook page and this is the image they say is similar to what’s happening to legends, see link below.  Can’t tell if they’re being serious by exaggerating like this.
https://m.facebook.com/DogtownDish

E969164E-C3A6-4193-82FF-B6E499309709.jpeg

• Haha 1

It's nice to see that the vast majority of folks who weighed in on this on rva/reddit are generally in favor of the new buildings AND a huge number of those who posted strongly advocate for Legends to work out a deal with the developer to get the bar/taproom/restaurant part of the brewery into one of the towers (some suggesting rooftop). I'm surprised because I thought there would be more pushback on Reddit than there appears to be. That's VERY encouraging! As was the case on the RBS comments section to this story, a LOT of folks are being quite upfront in pointing out the HUGE win opportunity that exists for Legends, particularly if they were to partner with the developer, rather than be obstinate and attempt to fight the project. Even if they sat and did nothing, their customer base would expand dramatically with two apartment towers right next door. I don't understand Manchester Alliance's piece in all of this - because Manchester as a whole WINS with this project being built - and Manchester as a whole LOSES if this project gets derailed, God-forbid. It's in everyone's best interest to support this development and do everything possible to grease the wheels to help this project get off the ground quickly. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/rva/comments/w20z34/17_and_11_story_towers_coming_to_manchester/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, I miss RVA said:

not that the two sections of the city are in a "race" to out-develop the other, but there's little question that if this development comes to pass, it will CLEARLY put Manchester in the lead ahead of Scott's Addition as THE hottest location for new development and far-and-away the fastest growing section of RVA. 

I think it's because Scotts Addition has more restrictions on height than Manchester (whether formal building code or practical due to NIMBYs), and SA is a very finite area and it's getting to the point that's it's about full.  Manchester still has room to grow, both up and out.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

I think it's because Scotts Addition has more restrictions on height than Manchester (whether formal building code or practical due to NIMBYs), and SA is a very finite area and it's getting to the point that's it's about full.  Manchester still has room to grow, both up and out.

Manchester has one other advantage - a riverfront, which is a natural draw for development. Both parts of town have been absolutely going nuclear with development - and even as finite and landlocked as it is, Scott's still has plenty of space for lots of intense, high-density development. Aside from the fact that there are still quite a few active businesses operating in Scott's, I'm honestly surprised the city hasn't moved forward to zone all of the neighborhood as TOD-1. It would clean up the process for developers to build larger - even if not all the way to 12 stories - without the time-consuming process of filing for an SUP. Interesting that while there's some TOD-1 zoning in Manchester, there are an increasing number of parcels that have received B4 zoning in the past year or so. I can't help but think that should the NY developers build their 17-story (as well as their 11-story) towers on Manchester's riverfront, that might blow the cap off of height (in a manner of speaking) for development there. If they demonstrate that building tall is viable, works, and is a good investment, other developers -- especially those from out-of-town/out-of-state with deep pockets -- might start showing up with big plans for big towers. I hope and pray that comes to pass!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

Wow.  Port RVA II has started for real.  I read the above comment as some people getting soil samples or something, 

Nope.  It’s a backhoe.  The trees and shrubbery have all been ripped out.  The parking lot has been vacated.   By Monday or Tuesday there should be a fence and port-O-potties! 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah - the former 12-story residential building at 512 Hull Street... that's gotten butcher-blocked down to five stories and that covers -- at best -- maybe half of the footprint of the original building. Woo hoo... :tw_expressionless:

Sorry - and even though I don't fault the developer one bit - they got Hulk-smashed by COVID -- and to their credit, they even tried to sell the property -- but tbh I have about as much excitement about this glass of watered-down ice tea as I do about Block D's ritual sacrifice at the altar of Richmond's "market size" - only I'm not quite as bitter about this (512 Hull) as I am about Block D.  Regardless, to me, it's still as much of a loss as it is a gain.

Looking at the difference between the two versions of 512 Hull, forgive me if I crack open a can of "meh" on this one.

CORNER510.jpg

512Hull.jpg.260fdee7a6e6bc4560c72fc09b6e3ae8.jpg

512Hull-02.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Wow.  Port RVA II has started for real.  I read the above comment as some people getting soil samples or something, 

Nope.  It’s a backhoe.  The trees and shrubbery have all been ripped out.  The parking lot has been vacated.   By Monday or Tuesday there should be a fence and port-O-potties! 

Now that's what I'm talking about it!  When we start seeing double-wides, then we know Richmond no longer wears pull-ups.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1