Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

As Manchester booms with new development, property values are skyrocketing. Neat story in today's RBS about the building directly across Hull from the Commodore construction site on 7th Street - just sold for $7 million. Holy moly...

While the new owner isn't planning any changes for the foreseeable future - one can't help but wonder how many years out -- with rising property values and the continuing boom in Manchester -- if he might decide to cash out if a deep-pocketed developer comes along and makes an offer.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/22/thalhimer-sells-hull-street-property-to-local-investor-group-for-7m/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Correct

Thanks, @wrldcoupe4

Wow - the Box has quite a bit of size to it. And to your point: while it will ultimately be a pretty dense block, it would be even denser were 512 Hull not hatcheted down from 12 stories to five with at best a 50% footprint of the original proposed building. :tw_confused:

• Like 1

An item on tomorrows council docket is a petition for the city to vacate long unused ROW's that had been set aside for alley access in the block bounded by 3rd, 4th, Everett, and Maury. Staff report indicates this block will be the site of a '3 over 3' or townhome development and recommends approval.  See snip below-

everett_aerial.jpg

everett_snip.jpg

I'm not sure what 3 over 3 means - '2 over 2' usually means stacked 2 story condos - we're seeing these rise at Overlook at Brewers Row and Carver Square. 3x3 would be 9 stories i suppose but maybe they are using this differently or meant 2 over 2.  

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, whw53 said:

An item on tomorrows council docket is a petition for the city to vacate long unused ROW's that had been set aside for alley access in the block bounded by 3rd, 4th, Everett, and Maury. Staff report indicates this block will be the site of a '3 over 3' or townhome development and recommends approval.  See snip below-

everett_aerial.jpg

everett_snip.jpg

I'm not sure what 3 over 3 means - '2 over 2' usually means stacked 2 story condos - we're seeing these rise at Overlook at Brewers Row and Carver Square. 3x3 would be 9 stories i suppose but maybe they are using this differently or meant 2 over 2.  

So if it were just two three-story condos stacked one above the other, would that be termed a 2 over 3? I'm asking seriously - because I'd like to understand if we're going to see something 6 stories or 9 stories. Does B-7 zoning allow for something 9-stories tall?

The kind of in-migration of businesses to quasar-like hotspots in the city (Manchester, Scott's Addition) continues. The Billy Pie Pizzaria is relocating from Three Chopt & Patterson to 212 W. 6th Street (at the Basic City Beer Co.) in Manchester.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/28/billy-pie-shuts-down-on-patterson-avenue-in-favor-of-manchester/

• Like 2

Based on this article from NBC12 News, the announcement of the NY-based development in front of Legend Brewing was an “in your face” type announcement. That’s not was I would think they’d do. Interesting.  Hopefully, the two parties can strike deal to move Legend into the new development.  But please, don’t reduce the height. It won’t make a difference. 

https://www.nbc12.com/2022/07/28/richmond-under-building-blitz-causing-some-growing-pains/

45 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Based on this article from NBC12 News, the announcement of the NY-based development in front of Legend Brewing was an “in your face” type announcement. That’s not was I would think they’d do. Interesting.  Hopefully, the two parties can strike deal to move Legend into the new development.  But please, don’t reduce the height. It won’t make a difference. 

https://www.nbc12.com/2022/07/28/richmond-under-building-blitz-causing-some-growing-pains/

Did I miss something? I didn't see any reference to the way (or location) in which the project was announced. The article was extemely brief. Is there more elsewhere? Or maybe a video that didn't load?

Watching channel 6 news and it’s full on news story highlighting how Legend brewing will be changed and how Legend, city council will be fighting this new development that takes away their view. 

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/rivers-edge-ii-apartment-towers-plan-manchester-richmond?_amp=true

Edited by Hike
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Hike said:

Watching channel 6 news and it’s full on news story highlighting how Legend brewing will be changed and how Legend, city council will be fighting this new development that takes away their view. 

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/rivers-edge-ii-apartment-towers-plan-manchester-richmond?_amp=true

Gee...whether it stands 11 stories tall or 17 stories tall, it will still block the view - it doesn't matter.  So, don't mess with the height.  The best they can do is adjust the tower layout to allow for the Legend Brewing view.  It'd be best to integrate Legend with the new Avery development.  That way you get a win-win!

• Like 3

Just now, eandslee said:

Gee...whether it stands 11 stories tall or 17 stories tall, it will still block the view - it doesn't matter.  So, don't mess with the height.  The best they can do is adjust the tower layout to allow for the Legend Brewing view.  It'd be best to integrate Legend with the new Avery development.  That way you get a win-win!

It’ll come down to zoning, deals struck and compromise. The areas affected by this have a full on blitz of media.

17 minutes ago, Hike said:

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see anything in the article that City Council is planning to fight the development. Even David Gott didn't say anything about outright "fighting" it as in trying to totally stop it. Keep in mind that River's Edge II -- which called for a pair of 11-story towers -- WAS APPROVED  and apparently there was NO pushback whatsoever from Legends or anyone in Manchester, so there's precedent, is there not? And, unless I'm totally misreading something, the ONLY part in question is the requirement of an SUP to work the 17-story building in. Current zoning allows 13 stories - and I'm VERY glad to see that the smaller tower has been upgraded from 11 to 13 stories. THAT tower should have no problem (again, unless I'm missing something) because it fits within zoning regulations and I honestly can't see the city being able to legally stop a project that fits within ALL current zoning parameters - particularly since the city is pushing for increased density and increased development.

I saw nothing in Ellen Robertson's comments that indication outright opposition to the project. Of course, she's going to respond in politicalspeak - I get that - but really I didn't see anything much beyond acknowledgement of the situation as it currently stands.

The question is: has ANYONE attempted to push Gott and the powers that be at Legends to try to work out something with the developer to partner on this development? This man is an effing FOOL if he insists on playing the ego card and not trying to join forces with the developers to get an even better view than he has now. I just don't understand the logic - because there IS no logic to just digging in the heels and screaming "NO!!!" to the high heavens. All it is is EGO - plain, and simple. And, I'm sorry - this guy needs to check THAT crap at the door.

SOMEONE - ANYONE - needs to reach out to this guy and wake him up to the possiblities of a win-win with the developer. Again, Avery Hall is from New-Freakin-York-City - where real estate deals between developers and legacy businesses are worked out ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's not rocket science. A few phone calls. A few sit downs. A few draft (draught if you're British) documents... and as they say on the Sopranos... "Bada Bing!!!"  DONE!

This isn't hard, people. And it shouldn't BE this damn hard. For God's sake...

Edited by I miss RVA

42 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

A good business would thrive on the opportunity to capture new customers. I know some people here enjoy Legends, but the food/beer are both mediocre and the place is run down.  You either continue to improve your business, or you get left in the dust.  I live in the neighborhood and really only go if I can't think of anything else to eat.

Reminds me of Prices Chicken Coop in Charlotte.   They were literally smack dap in the middle of one of the fastest growing neighborhoods in the country, with 1000s of new residents yearly that could walk to the place. Instead they fought nearly every development and blamed the lack of parking on why they had to close down.  

ESPECIALLY since you live in the neighborhood, would you be willing to try to reach out to this David Gott individual? Express your opinions and URGE him to try to partner with the developer to locate, if nothing else, the taproom/restaurant portion of the business in the new development? As a NEIGHBORHOOD local, you can bring some umph to the argument because you are 'viewed' (whether correctly or not) as someone more likely to frequent the establishment.

No idea if this guy is ever on-site or just sitting in a back office elsewhere. But I think the more people approach him about NOT fighting the new development and PARTNERING to GET INTO the new development, the better the chances will be that the needle will move slightly on this. We have to fight for RVA - even if it means stepping up and debating these things will fellow Richmonders.

8 minutes ago, Jordon said:

Found this conceptual on loopnet

06078DBB-6792-4D3E-8518-58CC83D565F3.jpeg

I thought they had already started on this project , no?

Edit - Oh i meant the circle - i see now that the surrounding blocks on Maury have site layouts drawn in. 

Edit 2 - Hey that reminds me - I checked the council meeting from Monday - the 500 block Maury zoning was approved to TOD-1 on Monday (just south of this)

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

I checked the council meeting from Monday - the 500 block Maury zoning was approved to TOD-1 on Monday (just south of this)

Definitely good news! Indeed, using the term one of the TV stations' news article used - may the "building blitz" continue in Richmond!

• Like 2