Richmonopoly

Manchester Development

Perhaps it is including the existing 102 units, therefore adding 86?  Given the small units sizes that may be plausible but it does specify "tower" which would imply taller than the current four-story structure.

I just found this old article on PortRVA with some insight on the project:

"Not included in the sale of PortRVA is an adjoining 0.5-acre plot owned by Property Results that will likely eventually hold the second phase of the property. Milam said the structure will likely be six stories with parking included, but no timeline has been set."

http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/10/19/unfinished-manchester-apartment-project-listed-for-15m/

• Like 1

That explains that, six stories isn't bad for that spot, that would be the tallest building on the block, easily (not much else around it, yet..) Hopefully we'll see some movement on this

Edit: They may be waiting to see how the Reynolds South development across the street pans out, if the Reynolds development attracts a grocery store and other retail to the area like planned, then building this would be a no brainer.

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Richmond98 said:

Here is an article from a friend at the Dogtown Dish about the PortRVA expansion. 

http://dogtowndish.com/2017/05/13/portrva-phase-2-plans-to-go-vertical-on-hull-street/

Love it! Manchester is Richmond's little Williamsburg. Only a matter of time till a grocer is announced for the neighborhood. Wouldn't be surprised if its two between Cityview Landing and Manchester Town Center.

I think this looks awesome! I hope this moves as fast as it sounds like they want it to do, 12 stories there (9 residential, 3 parking/retail) is really going to move Manchester's little skyline southward, and with the 10 story one already under construction it's really just a waiting game on the announcement for a grocery store.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TBurban said:

Love it! Manchester is Richmond's little Williamsburg. Only a matter of time till a grocer is announced for the neighborhood. Wouldn't be surprised if its two between Cityview Landing and Manchester Town Center.

Oh gawd no.  Please don't mention that word "Town Center".  (puke)

5 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/05/15/12-story-tower-proposed-for-manchester/

Here is another article on it.  I like that they are building micro apartments.  They can be a rather economical way to live, especially if young and single.

I lived in a 580 square foot 1 bedroom apartment in Boston.  Didn't realize it was a "micro" apartment. 

11 hours ago, jbjust said:

I lived in a 580 square foot 1 bedroom apartment in Boston.  Didn't realize it was a "micro" apartment. 

Haha yeah, these must be on the large end of "micro", I know my last place in NYC was about 700 square feet and that was huge for what it was

I've been thinking about that lot the last few weeks, glad to see something on it.

Hope everything goes smoothly and construction on something does start soon!

14 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

I've been thinking about that lot the last few weeks, glad to see something on it.

Hope everything goes smoothly and construction on something does start soon!

That site has a lot potential and the right project could realize it.  If the canal (unsure of its name) could be upgraded to the same standard as the Canal Walk, it could be a great place for restaurants, bars, etc.  That would be a major plus for the neighborhood and turn it into a regional draw.

14 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

That site has a lot potential and the right project could realize it.  If the canal (unsure of its name) could be upgraded to the same standard as the Canal Walk, it could be a great place for restaurants, bars, etc.  That would be a major plus for the neighborhood and turn it into a regional draw.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I would imagine that the developers would make canal improvements in the vicinity of their development as part of their project.  It's all about creating a space where people will want to live and be aesthetically pleasing.  I just hope they break ground on it soon.  The article suggested (back when the article was published) that the developer was in the design phase ("Papa said next steps include designing the project – they have yet to select an architect – and submitting plans of development that he expects will be received well by the city").  I haven't heard about any permits or design approvals being submitted to the city yet, so something tells me that they may be a little behind getting their ducks in a row before they can break ground.  I know Coupe on this board said their was a design already (looked like white Legos stacked on top of each other), but I'm beginning to think that was just a conceptual design.  I'm looking for the REAL, no kidding design to come out.  I would imagine they would release a real design before they broke ground as well.  With that in mind, I just don't think they are there yet.  Just hope they are getting close.  I wish RichmondBizSense would do some good follow-up articles on projects such as these so that we can stay in "the know."  :unsure:

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Development rights have hit the market for the lot near the new townhomes on 7th.  I like the placeholder they have put on the marketing material. 

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20508094/401-421-West-7th-Street-Richmond-VA/

That rendering looks like a commercial building. With that said I agree it looks decent, and I wouldn't mind more commercial in that area.

A few updates around the neighborhood:

Richmond Christian Center seems to have a bidding war going on by developers for redevelopment.  https://richmondbizsense.com/2017/10/09/developer-eyes-manchester-church-property/

Another new gallery is set to open this weekend along Hull St.  That's 2 in the past 30 days.  http://dogtowndish.com/2017/10/20/new-manchester-gallery-opens-today/

In addition to Butterbean Market, and Hot Diggity Donuts, there are also plans to turn 1209 Hull St into a yet unnamed brewery and restaurant, with apartments on the top two floors.  https://richmondbizsense.com/2017/10/17/brewpub-donut-shop-market-anchor-couples-growing-manchester-gamble/

• Like 1

The shell of the new apartment tower in Manchester nearing completion and 7West condos have made a lot of progress. Also saw some goats that were clearing vegetation near the climbing wall. These were all taken this afternoon. All the Manchester development is great, but I cannot help but wonder how long it will be before the area between the floodwall and development is cleaned up and repurposed. I know that is a long range plan, but wonder how close we are to seeing something happen. I cannot imagine someone paying near a million dollars for a condo at 7West without some kind of reasonable expectation that something is on the horizon.

95F1B2FF-8800-4557-BA64-CEBA7C38C3E5.jpeg

90C8310B-9E8B-4007-88E9-DEF22803781B.jpeg

77F6B9D3-CC27-48E0-B2C1-3369CA06B5A4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2