Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

1 hour ago, keo091 said:

Imagine when construction begins and the cranes for these projects are up. Between this, CoStar's office tower and Avery Hall's planned 17-story apartment building (if approved), we could be potentially looking at 3+ cranes on the riverfront simultaneously! Being that these projects are high profile and not tucked away in the grid, Richmond visually is about to feel even more like a boomtown than it already is!

Boomtown, reminded me of Greg Brown’s song, don’t think Richmond will fall into this category that he sings about.

https://youtu.be/dG49Fb1zmlg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

And just like that, we have visuals on the silo replacement project. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/20/20-story-apartment-tower-6-story-office-building-planned-for-southern-states-silos-site/

20 story apartment tower + 6 story office building. 290 units in the apartment building. 

Also included this exciting passage:

Hourigan’s will start demolition later this year and aim to go vertical Q2 2023.

image.thumb.png.818bd400a789b46d0a31e8ecb4433bc0.png

O... M... G... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57861a53b321b84c01ade79c0ef16f40.gif

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, whw53 said:

@BigBobbyGOk I may have been slightly wrong and you right. The zoning has been approved to accommodate this but looks like SUP is not signed off on yet. In fact a SUP to accommodate this project was submitted today. As to what the SUP is needed for I do not know but it is probably not really about the height this being a B4 district. The SUP info is noted as expedited.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/b06f0001-0cb3-419a-8bb6-090c626f7af0?tab=locations

Agreed, it can't be about height as it's a B4 district. Setbacks, maybe? The apartment tower is a straight vertical wall with no 4:1 setback.

@wrldcoupe4or @upzoningisgoodor any of our other CRE gurus - any thoughts as to why this project would need an SUP filed?

My BIG fear is that if somehow there ends up being a need for public hearings/input and there's pushback from the preservationists about the Silos... 

Edited by I miss RVA

17 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Agreed, it can't be about height as it's a B4 district. Setbacks, maybe? The apartment tower is a straight vertical wall with no 4:1 setback.

@wrldcoupe4or @upzoningisgoodor any of our other CRE gurus - any thoughts as to why this project would need an SUP filed?

My BIG fear is that if somehow there ends up being a need for public hearings/input and there's pushback from the preservationists about the Silos... 

Someone said  as part of the project they are connecting Manchester St and Duval with a bridge over the canal. Might be for that.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Possibly for height?

It's zoned B-4 -- 20 stories shouldn't be a problem there. Setbacks, maybe?  The design is a sheer vertical rise with no 4:1 stair-stepping of setbacks. Given that the request for SUP is shown as expedited, can we presume that Hourigan expects this to be more or less a rubber-stamp process?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

It's zoned B-4 -- 20 stories shouldn't be a problem there. Setbacks, maybe?  The design is a sheer vertical rise with no 4:1 stair-stepping of setbacks. Given that the request for SUP is shown as expedited, can we presume that Hourigan expects this to be more or less a rubber-stamp process?

I don’t have the answer but I like that expectation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keo091 said:

Imagine when construction begins and the cranes for these projects are up. Between this, CoStar's office tower and Avery Hall's planned 17-story apartment building (if approved), we could be potentially looking at 3+ cranes on the riverfront simultaneously! Being that these projects are high profile and not tucked away in the grid, Richmond visually is about to feel even more like a boomtown than it already is!

Fully agreed, @keo091!  If everything goes through with the SUP without a hitch - and if the Avery Hall development goes through with the SUP without a hitch - depending on when all these projects get underway relative to what's currently under construction and coming online in the next couple of months, 2023 could very well be the "Year of the Crane" in RVA. We could in theory see more cranes up over the city than we've ever seen before. Given the size of these projects, it's not out of the question we could see upwards of 8 or, more likely, 9 cranes* in the immediate downtown and Manchester area in 2023.

CoStar - 2 cranes*

Avery Hall - 2 cranes*

Hourgan 1 or 2 cranes (this is actually quite a large project and I'm leaning heavily toward 2 cranes)

Project formerly known as The Admiral - 1 crane

Bakery Lofts - 1 crane

Parc View - 1 crane

219 W. Broad Street - 1 crane (tight footprint and 8 stories - I think this will get a tower crane because of proximity of other buildings nearby and narrow side street)

This total is NOT counting the potential for the crane at the Commodore to still be up for a portion of 2023 or if any of the other apartment projects in Manchester have a tower crane during construction. And obviously, it's not counting anything in Scott's Addition.

NOTE - I've included asterisks with the CoStar and Avery Hall projects because I'm not ruling out the (admittedly remote) possibility that there could be a third crane added to each development, given the overall breadth, scope, and size of both projects. IF - and obviously that's a HUGE "IF" we maxed out on cranes on all developments - there could be a portion of 2023 if all these projects were to overlap that we could see anywhere between 8 and 11 cranes up in downtown and Manchester at the same time. RVA has NEVER - EVER - in my recollection had THAT level of large-scale construction happening simultaneously. THAT, my friends, is something seen in much larger cities (I've seen it here in Chicago several times over the past 21 years that I've lived here) or our boomtown neighbors (who shall remain nameless - they can simply be known as the "Cities of Voldemort") to our south.

My friends - PLEASE have your phones ready to snap a TON of pictures in 2023 - we HAVE to chronicle all of this as it happens!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Hike said:

Boomtown, reminded me of Greg Brown’s song, don’t think Richmond will fall into this category that he sings about.

https://youtu.be/dG49Fb1zmlg

Just listened to the song. It could be our new anthem! I honestly LOVE IT!!  While true - in some ways it doesn't fit Richmond - in some ways it does - because Good Golly Miss Molly - it's startin' to feel like Richmond's startin' to turn into a Boomtown!!!

As for the Boom - all I can say is:

BRING...

IT...

ON!!!!   :tw_smiley:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Just listened to the song. It could be our new anthem! I honestly LOVE IT!!  While true - in some ways it doesn't fit Richmond - in some ways it does - because Good Golly Miss Molly - it's startin' to feel like Richmond's startin' to turn into a Boomtown!!!

As for the Boom - all I can say is:

BRING...

IT...

ON!!!!   :tw_smiley:

I discovered Greg Brown listening to WNRN out of Charlottesville, they have a music presence in RVA, they’re a listener supported community radio, another favorite of mine by Greg Brown is freak flag, look that one up. Luckily, our little boom town has room..

• Like 2

I heard the song  Lull it By maybe 20 years ago? Was Tower Records still around then lol.  I’m pretty sure that the record it appears on was featured at a listening station there.  It was a camping favorite for years.  

I also listen to WNRN.  I’ve been working in Ashland most of the summer.  They even have a local signal up there.   I keep hoping they add Williamsburg to the list (seeing as how they tend to like college towns). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, georgeglass said:

I noticed a couple of other renderings on the Kahler Slater site. I did not see them posted here yet, but forgive me if I missed that.

So excited for this. If I had to be nitpicky, then my only thing is that it's another flat roof boxy design overall...but I'll take it.

C01.jpg

C02.jpg

To me, these look like they could be on the Virginia side of the Potomac with DC, very attractive.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, georgeglass said:

I noticed a couple of other renderings on the Kahler Slater site. I did not see them posted here yet, but forgive me if I missed that.

So excited for this. If I had to be nitpicky, then my only thing is that it's another flat roof boxy design overall...but I'll take it.

C01.jpg

C02.jpg

Holy WOW!! GREAT find, @georgeglass!! Thanks so much for posting these!! This development is AB-SO-LUTELY GORGEOUS!!! The curved design is unique for RVA and the balcony cut-ins really bring definition to the tower and take it out of the "monolithic glass slab" category and put into something absolutely delicious to look at. What's really cool is that at the end of the day, this will be one of the tallest residential buildings in Richmond.

• Like 3

Yeah, great find!  If I had to change anything it would be the crown of the residential tower…come on, give us at least a little terraced look with some cool lights similar to the Wells Fargo tower downtown. However, that is my only complaint…if I had to complain (I’m not really complaining though).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I heard the song  Lull it By maybe 20 years ago? Was Tower Records still around then lol.  I’m pretty sure that the record it appears on was featured at a listening station there.  It was a camping favorite for years.  

I also listen to WNRN.  I’ve been working in Ashland most of the summer.  They even have a local signal up there.   I keep hoping they add Williamsburg to the list (seeing as how they tend to like college towns). 

Lull it by, haven’t listened to that one, checked it out,  very nice. This is another favorite, Brand New 64 Dodge, the imagery on this one is nice, @I miss RVA should appreciate this one too.  

https://youtu.be/Y1bG_Gpfi0s

Not sure WNRN will go to Williamsburg, they lean on “Central Virginia” as their brand, so to speak, though that could change I guess, they do advertise for shows at the beach from time to time, so maybe possible. 

As for the new tower, someone mentioned lighting, perhaps the flat roof parapet is lighting of some sort. That lower image looks like a huge shiny ship, I don’t mean that bad, I just have a weird habit of comparing things to something else.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, great find!  If I had to change anything it would be the crown of the residential tower…come on, give us at least a little terraced look with some cool lights similar to the Wells Fargo tower downtown. However, that is my only complaint…if I had to complain (I’m not really complaining though).

I just remembered though - there’s supposed to be a rooftop pool!  Ha!  There goes my terraced look idea. LOL!

• Like 3