Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I guess the NIMBY trolls who read Richmond BizSense needed a second wind - there are still a few smoldering embers over comments made on the RBS story re: the Avery Hall project going on today. Wowwww... 

Completely baseless but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the author or the owner of legend's got some people to make comments supporting their view. Their arguments are NIMBYism at its finest and completely disregards the fact that the plot of land is already zoned and approved for a height that would destroy the view regardless. Hell, if they wanted less towers (something I definitely want more of)  in the future they should hope for taller ones now to ease the pressure on building new ones to keep up with demand.

Edited by BigBobbyG
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BigBobbyG said:

Completely baseless but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the author or the owner of legend's got some people to make comments supporting their view. Their arguments are NIMBYism at its finest and completely disregards the fact that the plot of land is already zoned and approved for a height that would destroy the view regardless. Hell, if they wanted less towers (something I definitely want more of)  in the future they should hope for taller ones now to ease the pressure on building new ones to keep up with demand.

This is true - Avery Hall can build by-right up to 13 stories. And they're adjusting the footprint and building positioning to accommodate Legends and restore as much of the riverfront view as is reasonably possible. In doing so, they have to add floors, and you KNOW I'm 100% in favor of adding floors! :tw_smiley:

As you said, it's Richmond NIMBYism at its absolute finest.  

Anyway - I/m hoping and praying the city will approve the SUP (once it's filed - which Avery Hall needs to do) and we can move forward with growing Manchester.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, eandslee said:

Wonder what Bruce’s commission check looks like for a sale like that?!  Daaang!

His commission check alone on that sale is prolly more than a bunch of us on here combined will make in an entire year (or more)...

You just KNOW he hammered this one outta the park just like the amazing Aaron Judge has been launching bombs outta MLB parks this year for my beloved Bronx Bombers!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

With nearly 500 units between the two complexes, I imagine neighborhood retail will do fine here.

Fully agreed, particularly if you add in the 500-plus units planned two blocks north by Avery Hall - between the three developments, that's just about 1,000 units on the nose living in a span of three or four blocks - REALLY nice density - which should be VERY inviting for retailers to seriously consider opening in the neighborhood. Let's not forget that from a broader perspective, with several large projects on the way along the Hull Street corridor from the Commodore at 7th and Hull all the way to the Hourigan tower planned for the riverfront - all combined probably would add close to another 1,000 units (if not more) between all of them. One would HAVE to believe that retailers are keeping a VERY keen eye on developments in Manchester and are starting to make calculations as to the feasibility of locating into the area. Here's hoping among those retailers will be a much-needed grocer.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

They have also started on the second phase of townhomes across the street from the Tidewater.   I thought the second phase was scrapped.  There wasn’t any work going on for probably a year. 

AC6951F9-A11F-4F87-B343-FA229C607C75.jpeg

Those should have been completed by now - the photo (taken from today's RBS story) is an old photo -- notice that the Children's Hospital expansion was still under construction (note the tower cranes) - so RBS's file photo is a tad out of date. 

thurston3-2048x1149 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

No way? Really? Just two weeks ago - and still they're only working on footings? What happened?

Materials and labor is still entirely short handed. My company has had a bunch of people out sick including me for the past four weeks, I’ve been sick four weeks in a row catching stuff from my 7 month old daughter and wife. We have had to put projects on the back burner due to lack of labor and materials currently. The main electrical materials are not hard to get it’s the more uncommon stuff that make it’s incredibly hard to get currently. Remember the general assembly building got it’s opening date pushed back and I can tell you the childrens hospital inpatient tower will too. They want us down by spring or 2023 definitely not going to happen considering how much is left to do on the inside of that thing. It’s just the nature of the business unfortunately. I hope we keep pushing skilled trades on people or else nothing will ever get done. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Materials and labor is still entirely short handed. My company has had a bunch of people out sick including me for the past four weeks, I’ve been sick four weeks in a row catching stuff from my 7 month old daughter and wife. We have had to put projects on the back burner due to lack of labor and materials currently. The main electrical materials are not hard to get it’s the more uncommon stuff that make it’s incredibly hard to get currently. Remember the general assembly building got it’s opening date pushed back and I can tell you the childrens hospital inpatient tower will too. They want us down by spring or 2023 definitely not going to happen considering how much is left to do on the inside of that thing. It’s just the nature of the business unfortunately. I hope we keep pushing skilled trades on people or else nothing will ever get done. 

Wow - that's really good insider information, @Downtowner-- I can see how a lot of projects are being impacted.

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Our friend Nahum must be the principal architect on the Avery Hall project - he has posted renderings of this project to his portfolio. 

Additionally the SUP needed to facilitate this project was submitted last week and is Under Review according to the permit portal.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/e3d1a3ef-8921-4c1b-b2c5-6b4fef5fee4a

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView1_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_edited.jpg

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView2_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_Edited.jpg

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView3_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_edited.jpg

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView4Vignette_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_edited.jpg

I know right now Manchester is touted  for its views of the downtown skyline but in 10 years heck - i think downtown might be marketed for its views of the Manchester skyline. 

Wow!  This is really nice!  At first glance I thought it was some other lucky city, but no - that’s going in RICHMOND!  My gosh, I hope this passes the SUP process. Please let it happen!!!

• Like 4