Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

23 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I too am unclear about the details but there was mention of this building being redeveloped maybe 6 months ago? I’ve been looking for signs of it happening (thus reading the notice in the window). 

From  what I recall it will be  a 6-8 story building.  It is located at Hull and 3rd Streets. I don’t know that there were any renderings.  I’ll scroll back through here and look for more details.  

Some updates around Manchester…

Port Richmond (?) is rising. 

Two of the elevator shafts for the Commodore has topped out.

And  the Box is looking  pretty good, IMO

AC387069-002E-4EA5-93A7-2495294EADFA.jpeg

20CE11C5-6CEA-4165-BA54-3A63F886A8D9.jpeg

EA346A1D-95C8-448B-AB15-AA63763C9038.jpeg

1329D9E8-3FE4-4170-970A-39C381557DA9.jpeg

HUMBLE HUMBLE thanks, @Brent114for taking and posting these amazing photos! Holy WOW - all of this is just AMAZING to see as it continues to progress and come together. Is it just me - or when we see these pix - it's honestly like we're looking at an entirely DIFFERENT city? As in - this CAN'T be happening in Richmond - surely this is a different city... Baltimore maybe... or Boston or ... somewhere... and then it's "pinch me and make sure I'm not dreaming - because this IS HAPPENING IN RICHMOND!!! WOWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :tw_smiley:

PortRVA? That's the former 12-story building at 5th and Hull, yes? Ugh... Mazal Tov to them, I suppose... :tw_neutral:

On a more potentially joyful note: The second photo in this group -- looking northwest from across Hull at the Commodore construction site. In the distance (right side of the photo) is River's Edge I - and Avery Hall's glorious 17 and 16 story towers would rise right behind that building. Now - by the time ground is broken and construction will be underway, the Commodore would block the view from this vantage point - but imagine being positioned maybe a block or so to the east of 7th and Hull - or looking from any upper northwest-facing window from the Commodore ... and seeing the Avery Hall towers rising in the distance? HOHHH-LEEEE-WOWWWW!! I'm PRAYING Avery Hall sails through the SUP approval process with NO HICCUPS AT ALL - and that they can get underway as soon as possible.

24 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

From the development map….

Here’s  a drawing of the Plant Zero development. 

EB96BD10-7B48-47B5-B915-6F219E009748.png

THANK YOU for looking this one up, @Brent114!!! VERY much appreciated! Right - this project.  So demo on the site slated to start in January. Wow!

• Like 3

@Brent114 you’re on a roll here with updates and research, thanks for keep us up to date on these projects.  It’s hard to believe that plant zero is going away, when I worked there, about 15+ years ago, that was the only thing going on, food, coffee, etc. art studios, exhibitions,  and now it’s heading to the wrecking ball. The word, back when I worked in Manchester was that Manchester was going to be the next up and coming neighborhood. I was hopeful, because I left Carytown to go to Manchester to work, and had hoped it would become like how it is today. Unfortunately, it never happened in my time, but glad it’s happening for those there now.  Another nice thing about Manchester right now is that the construction is so concentrated in one area, makes it easy to see so much at once, where other projects, you have to drive all over the place to see one, get back in the car, go see another, etc.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Hike said:

@Brent114 you’re on a roll here with updates and research, thanks for keep us up to date on these projects.  It’s hard to believe that plant zero is going away, when I worked there, about 15+ years ago, that was the only thing going on, food, coffee, etc. art studios, exhibitions,  and now it’s heading to the wrecking ball. The word, back when I worked in Manchester was that Manchester was going to be the next up and coming neighborhood. I was hopeful, because I left Carytown to go to Manchester to work, and had hoped it would become like how it is today. Unfortunately, it never happened in my time, but glad it’s happening for those there now.  Another nice thing about Manchester right now is that the construction is so concentrated in one area, makes it easy to see so much at once, where other projects, you have to drive all over the place to see one, get back in the car, go see another, etc.

image.png.6f01b98723618284d2bc69f5fc2c103e.png !!!

Well said, @Hike :tw_thumbsup:

I still harken back to one of the RBS forums a couple of years ago where CRE experts, leaders, etc., came to Richmond and discussed the future of Manchester - and one of the primary themes that came out of the talk was the description of Manchester as "Richmond's version of Brooklyn" - and it definitely fits. The whole urban feel and vibe... the continued amplification of density... the concentration of development... and the juxtaposition of Manchester to downtown across the river - similar to Brooklyn across the East River from Manhattan... (just on a much much smaller scale, obviously!)  It's REALLY cool to see how this is all coming to pass in our time!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

On 10/31/2022 at 6:05 PM, whw53 said:

Our friend Nahum must be the principal architect on the Avery Hall project - he has posted renderings of this project to his portfolio. 

Additionally the SUP needed to facilitate this project was submitted last week and is Under Review according to the permit portal.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/e3d1a3ef-8921-4c1b-b2c5-6b4fef5fee4a

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView1_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_edited.jpg

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView2_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_Edited.jpg

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView3_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_edited.jpg

2022.10.18_301+W+6th+St_+DesignUpdate_FinalView4Vignette_SUPRender_FINALIMAGE_edited.jpg

I know right now Manchester is touted  for its views of the downtown skyline but in 10 years heck - i think downtown might be marketed for its views of the Manchester skyline. 

I....uh.... wow. It's not often that renderings leave me speechless.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Every time I walk by these lots, I've been hoping for the day they'd be sold off.    Fingers crossed it's something transformative and not more of those three story quads that line Porter/Bainbridge.

AMEN to that, brother! Like Bruce and Charles Macfarlane both said - this is very ripe fruit to be picked by some extremely deep-pocketed investors/developers who could build out these four blocks into something, as you said, truly transformative to the central portion of Manchester.

Personally, I'd love to see a mixed-use complex that brings together the best of all worlds - high-density (and high-rise!!) residential, at least some office, a good injection of retail INCLUDING A GROCER and perhaps an urban-footprint name-brand retailer like a Target plus at least one major brand-name pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, etc.), maybe a couple of restaurants and bars, a fitness place, other typical urban-neighborhood storefront retailers (maybe some kind of urban-footprint Office Max, a UPS Store, stuff like that) - maybe - MAYBE - even a hotel!! :tw_smiley: Guys, there are a LOT of possibilities if all four blocks are DENSELY built out and built up.

Build it out so that it is TRANSIT-centric rather than strictly car-centric. Turn this four city block "square" into something akin to a legit "town center" -- (which means there would definitely need to be commercial space, including offices to bring businesses into the development as part of the focus) that could perhaps spread to adjacent blocks after these four are built out. 

What do I mean by that?

Despite the annoying screeds of the NIMBYs and their inane "Don't NOVA my RVA" image.png.ec64f63bd1f055b46fd4ab00520b7ec9.png BS campaign, I think the ideal development would be something akin to what exists in Crystal City, Rosslyn, Pentagon City, Tyson's Corner - only on an obviously smaller scale (we're talking four square blocks in a square to begin with) ... but in other words, laying the groundwork for a "downtown" or an "uptown" Manchester (uptown if lower Manchester - north of Commerce Road to the riverfront, particularly along the Hull Street corridor) could be considered "downtown" Manchester.

I'd love to see each city block designed in a fashion similar to the ORIGINAL proposal for Block D - only with even more density and height (if possible) interjected. Meaning - NO wasted space. No "pedestal" developments (a single building surrounded by a ton of open space).

This four-square-block square has AMAZING potential. We need developers from out of state with HUGE checkbooks to really do this right - and we need someone (said developers?) to push with everything they have to upzone this part of Manchester as far as it can be upzoned -- maybe B-4? (I don't know that the newest level of zoning that's been applied to City Center would gain a lot of traction in Manchester - although I would like to see it applied across the board throughout downtown.)

Either way - I 100% concur, @rjp212-- we DON'T need townhouses, rowhouses, 2 X 2s, 3 X 3s, open spaces, etc. - in other words, SMALL POTATOES, built here. WE NEED TO THINK WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY OUTSIDE the RVA box and start thinking more like NOVA or some of our other peer, (competitor) cities - and pursue out-of-state developers who have NO ties to the preservationist rhetoric and who can stand up to the push back, get the city to work with them and then sink the kind of investment into Manchester that will not only transform and uplift the neighborhood, but will keep the speeding train of RVA progress on track, moving forward and -- even better -- accelerating!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

POD filed this morning for 301 Hull - the Sampson Coatings site. for 250 unit mixed use development. No word on height or floor count. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/18d0cc08-ac02-4c63-bf60-ed5edb2587d5

Area in square feet of land disturbance is listed as 60,548, while Proposed Floor Area is listed as 312000. 

Low bar we can expect 5 floors if structure rises evenly over the disturbed area -  312000/60548 = 5.15. Probably higher - Thalhimer's Overlook 2 next door will contain 275 apartments and is set to rise 8 stores on a larger block.

Sounds good all-in-all. So perhaps if the low bar is 5  -- and Overlook 2 is planned for 8 with only 25 more units on a larger footprint - then realistically are you thinking perhaps in the neighborhood of  6 or 7 floors for the Sampson Coatings redevelopment?

Edited by I miss RVA

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

9099db2e-b15a-4798-841d-4892a587b964_text.gif

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY!!!!!! FINALLY!!!

So - this was a POD? SUP? What was the filing?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, whw53 said:

POD has been long approved for SF2 - it's been over a year I think since that amended POD went past council. ZCL and any commercial permits going through now are a sign of imminent development probably. 

SWEET!! Can't wait to see this bad boy getting underway!! Another 14-story building courtesy of Mr. Tom Papa!

QUESTIONS:

1.) You're projecting ground breaking for South Falls II and Silos/Hourigan Q2 or Q3 of next year - particularly on the Hourigan project, just curious if you've heard anything that gives you confidence it'll happen then?

2.) Buildings on the site of the Sampson Coatings project - demo not until next fall? Why not sooner?

3.) Since you've included the Tidewater and the proposed building on the Thurston site - both of which are west of the Hull Street corridor - could we add the Avery Hall towers into the mix as well? I'm guessing that their SUP is only for the additional height going above 13 stories - and they've given every indication that they plan to build by-right regardless of what happens with the SUP.  Also - given the investment that they're making (given what they've plunked down just to buy the property) - what's the over/under that both the Planning Commission and City Council approve (with no hiccups, delays, stipulations, etc.) their SUP filing?

AT SOME POINT -- we'll need to get our hands on a drone to get some really good pics of Manchester as she continues to boom.  Decent drones aren't all that expensive anymore - so it could be a worthwhile investment for those who are photographically inclined (and who would like to have the tech boost to really document RVA's growth!)

Edited by I miss RVA

On 11/16/2022 at 2:57 PM, rjp212 said:

More details from the 10/4/22 building permits:

14 Stories (11 above 3 levels of parking) and 193 units.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/permit/247f3ab4-f3af-4575-a912-65595e9827d3

image.thumb.png.025672a1d754f318797cb17d886c25b0.png

image.thumb.png.e7de0bd2c120406cdb32ca907ecd8ca5.png

image.thumb.png.14194d1b5aad5057b54a0257234696b5.png

SUHHH-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!  WOW!!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_thumbsup::tw_thumbsup:

Just gorgeous! Basically an ALMOST carbon-copy of South Falls I. 

So Tom Papa is really moving forward with this - wow!!

Edited by I miss RVA