Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

5 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Fountainhead is planning a phase 2 of The Box, that'll be catty-corner from the current building.  6-stories, 167 units, 175 parking spaces, 44 bicycle spaces and 3700 sf of ground floor retail.

image.thumb.png.7b1c968658d051cab6f981b3df510643.png

HOLY MOLY!!! I didn't even realize there was GOING to be a Phase 2 of The Box!! WOWZERS. This is like Christmas (or in my case, Hanukkah) in February!!

Thanks so much, @rjp212

Just throwing in a couple of other nuggets that are fantastic take-aways:

Tom Papa - and if there is ANYONE in RVA who deserves an award based on Starship's classic song "We Built This City" - it's this man - appears to be all-in on going full-speed ahead with multiple Manchester projects - INCLUDING South Falls II AND III! According to Mike's reporting, the developers (Fountainhead and WVS) are seeking a 40-year HUD loan - to kickstart South Falls II -- something they don't usually do for most of their projects. Papa sounds 100% committed to getting South Falls II rolling - AND - he sounds more definite than he ever has in the past about down the road building the 10-story condo building, which would rise on the Manchester riverfront just west of South Falls II. He still would like another developer to come in and take on South Falls III - but absent that - he said he'll push forward and build it.

What with the Box, Box II, Plant Zero, South Falls I, II and III - Papa's fingerprints will be all over no fewer than two current buildings (the Box and South Falls I), one under-construction (Plant Zero) and three in the pipeline (Box II, South Falls II & III). THAT, my friends, is robust. And let's not forget - Papa is also the developer driving Locks 7 & 8 across the river from Manchester - AND - at least one (maybe two?) proposed buildings along the burgeoning Grace Street corridor in Monroe Ward.

Mr. Papa - in 10 years we all will be able to say of you - "You Built This City!"

A couple of screen grabs from Mike's article to pinpoint locations:

1.) Location of Box II relative to Box I

2.) Location of both Box projects relative to Plant Zero

3.) Location of those two projects relative to South Falls II & III location.

Screenshot (3060).png

Screenshot (3061).png

Screenshot (3062).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Pretty interesting tidbit from Bruce Milam's comment regarding the new WVS/Fountainhead development (phase II of The Box?) on RBS.  Translation: more is coming folks!

Bold was added for emphasis:

"There’s so much going along and east of Hull Street right now. Thalhimer, Lynx, Property Results,Castle, City, Fountainhead/WVS, and Blackwood all have something underway, and I know of at least one other that hasn’t been introduced publicly. That area will be all-new all the way to the Maury Street interchange. It’s all pretty exciting. There’s go to be increased demand for a full service grocer, right? More restaurants and entertainment venues, too? In 2018, I said here that Hull Street would look like a canyon within five years, but the pandemic set things back a little. I look forward to seeing it in another five years and confess I under estimated it.
Next month the Planning and Permitting office will update its status and progress to the HBAR MF Council. Considering the rapidly changing Manchester and Scotts Addition areas, it’ll be an interesting report."

I noticed that in Bruce's comment. And boy - did I react like Pavlov's Dog, believe you me! 🤤 I'm TOTALLY salivating now - wanting to know. WHAT IS THE PROJECT THAT HASN'T BEEN REVEALED PUBLICLY YET, BRUCE???? 

@RVABizSenseMike-- have you heard any rumblings to this effect? Not to spoil your scoop (though Bruce did drop a pretty EPIC Easter Egg of a hint in his comment) - but have you guys heard ANYTHING about a Manchester project on the horizon that hasn't been publicly announced yet?

4 hours ago, RVABizSenseMike said:

To be honest, I hear more scuttlebutt about Manchester than I can keep track of. If I had a nickel for every Manchester grocery store rumor I've heard over the years, I'd have enough money to open my own market. 

I can only imagine. Tbh, though, that's a good thing. Were Manchester NOT perhaps THE HOTTEST district in Richmond from a development standpoint, you'd hear the echo of a field of lovely crickets. Scuttlebutt - as annoying as it might be - is actually a good thing - even though it might act as chaff on the radar screen.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, Gexckos said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpVzD11PlAA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Render of 1228 Hull Street from SMBWarchitects

Really sweet looking building - and it will no doubt bring some good density to the ever widening footprint of Manchester's redevelopment reach.

Refresh my memory: is this a longer-standing project that's been in the pipeline for a while, or is this a relatively new proposal? There are so many I can't keep track of them all - and 1228 Hull is pretty far south given the main thrust of Manchester's most intense development core has been north of Commerce Road.

Check it out!!

Screenshot (2).png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Really sweet looking building - and it will no doubt bring some good density to the ever widening footprint of Manchester's redevelopment reach.

Refresh my memory: is this a longer-standing project that's been in the pipeline for a while, or is this a relatively new proposal? There are so many I can't keep track of them all - and 1228 Hull is pretty far south given the main thrust of Manchester's most intense development core has been north of Commerce Road.

Check it out!!

Screenshot (2).png

This is an older project.   Building Permits were filed last summer for both this project and 1114 Hull St, but I haven't seen any progress.   Perhaps once Soda Lofts and The Cove are complete, they will move onto these projects.

Also, there are two new restaurants in the works for this stretch of Hull Street.   Looks to be Red Hibachi & Beer at 1011 Hull St and Munchiez Cafe (or is it Underground Cafe?) at 1115 Hull St.   Both look like they'll be open by the end of Spring.

1114 Hull Street:

Exterior-2.jpg

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same architect but I don't think Bank St (Soda Flats) or Property Results ( the Cove ) are involved here.  I wouldn't see why the ongoing construction of those projects would be holding these sites up. If I remember correctly the developer was an out of town entity from nova or dc.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

This is an older project.   Building Permits were filed last summer for both this project and 1114 Hull St, but I haven't seen any progress.   Perhaps once Soda Lofts and The Cove are complete, they will move onto these projects.

Also, there are two new restaurants in the works for this stretch of Hull Street.   Looks to be Red Hibachi & Beer at 1011 Hull St and Munchiez Cafe (or is it Underground Cafe?) at 1115 Hull St.   Both look like they'll be open by the end of Spring.

1114 Hull Street:

Exterior-2.jpg

Great rendering! 

Same folks as the 1228 Hull project or a different developer altogether? It will be a great start to have a pair of 5-story apartment buildings that far south along Hull Street. Glad to see restaurants starting to line up to open in that part of the neighborhood. The restaurants are going into legacy storefronts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

The Box has an interesting lighting scheme.  Looks pretty cool…unless one of those windows is your bedroom! 

4C60AB4B-C63B-4FBB-AC62-B0A029A99516.jpeg

WOW - the lighting makes the building pretty - but man... if one of those was above my bedroom window - you best KNOW there would be some serious kvetching happening.

@Brent114-- thanks for taking and posting this. I can't get over how quickly Decatur Street is really shaping up!

Okay - between you & @eandsleeI now have NO choice but to find the silver polish and find what the heck I did with those doggone Silver Porta Potties!

• Like 1