Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

Such gravity is why we teach kids the concept of bare hand supporting the gloved hand on a fly ball!

EXACTLY!!! Not all this one-hand "snap-the-glove" in a "waving" motion when making a catch that some of the hot dogs in the majors have loved to do for a couple of generations.

26 minutes ago, Richmonopoly said:

Manchester amazes me!  Great shots!

Same here! Every time I see a compilation of new pictures from Manchester, it feels like I'm looking at an entirely DIFFERENT city! Meaning -- not Richmond. Then it hits me - it IS Richmond - and the wow factor amps up all the more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan said:

I was doing some work for a tenant on the first floor of South Falls 1.  The suite will be used as a high end spa. 91374663-B730-4F89-9998-26E7826B7353.thumb.jpeg.0ad2080c0957023b108cb7d4d8cd519b.jpeg

Wow! A high-end spa coming to Manchester? Boy oh boy has the neighborhood changed in the past decade!

GREAT photo! Cool to see the River's Edge I and the Tidewater (or whatever it's now being called) together in this shot. Imagine what it will look like over the next few years to see the Avery Hall towers rising just to the right of River's Edge I (they'll block the view of the Tidewater from this angle).

Thanks so much for taking and posting, @skinsfan! Methinks I'll be needing that little jar of silver polish this weekend after all. 😃

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 11:43 AM, rjp212 said:

Did anybody catch the meeting last night? I caught the tail end of them talking about a SUP for this property, but only could see the parking lot portion.

image.thumb.png.732ace6160133b4fac0a37102de8e97c.png

(Obligatory note that this is not to be taken as official BizSense reporting)

I was there and the planned SUP is to turn the vacant lot into a parking lot. A nearby IT firm owns the land and they want to use the lot for employee parking. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, RVABizSenseMike said:

(Obligatory note that this is not to be taken as official BizSense reporting)

I was there and the planned SUP is to turn the vacant lot into a parking lot. A nearby IT firm owns the land and they want to use the lot for employee parking. 

Oy vey... image.png.ef83b20c49c3c77557249ce987d101ad.png  Go figure...

Thanks so much, Mike for clarifying this!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Slightly newer rendering of Overlook II.   Not sure of any additional progress.

image.png

Looks really good!

Man - for all the criticism we levy at TRP (and I think validly so) for their garbage projects on A.A. Blvd and Cowardin & Semmes, they're also VERY busy on the large apartment building front, what with the 7-story beauty planned for Ellen Road adjacent to the Diamond District - and this gem on Hull. Remind me again where on Hull - west side of the street between 4th and 5th? Or 3rd and 4th? (Or 5th & 6th?)

15 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

A SUP has been filed for 1401-1407 Hull St for 60 units.   I can't imagine this building holding 60 units so I would think it will be a new build

image.thumb.png.539dfbd70e9bb6d979695da8eaedb14f.png

Agreed - no way this is a renovation. Probably ground-up new construction. Wonder how much square footage we're talking about? What's the best guess - four stories, maybe? Would five be pushing it?

• Like 2

Awesome find.  The Old Town part of Manchester needs the TLC.  

That fancy old bank building (maybe it wasn’t a bank) is wrapped in scaffolding at the moment.  5-6 years ago this site was rumored to be a new beer themed boutique hotel with a “tower” built onto the back.   It’s located maybe at 10th and Hull? Anywho, good to see some potential new build happening along this stretch. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Awesome find.  The Old Town part of Manchester needs the TLC.  

That fancy old bank building (maybe it wasn’t a bank) is wrapped in scaffolding at the moment.  5-6 years ago this site was rumored to be a new beer themed boutique hotel with a “tower” built onto the back.   It’s located maybe at 10th and Hull? Anywho, good to see some potential new build happening along this stretch. 

Agreed, @Brent114-- it's nice to see the redevelopment footprint of the Hull Street corridor now starting to push southwest past Commerce Road - while at the same time it's been slowly pushing southeast, though still parallel to Commerce. Obviously the Semmes Avenue corridor has built out nicely all the way to Cowardin Avenue - but farther east, toward Hull, it's been a slower go. There are dozens upon dozens of blocks, parcels, etc., all across Manchester that are prime for redevelopment - so it will definitely be exciting in the next few years (particularly if the economic situation stabilizes and shakes out favorably toward development/construction) to see projects in the pipeline move toward construction - and parcels in the pipeline for upzoning or SUP's start to blossom with new project proposals.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Another blah rectangle but love that they have porches - helps integrate the community and bring more life into the area instead of people cocooning into their apartments. 

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Another blah rectangle but love that they have porches - helps integrate the community and bring more life into the area instead of people cocooning into their apartments. 

Hey, it's a Walter Parks building. Guess we can't expect something fancy like the Taj Mahal or anything. 😂

Agreed about the porches/balconies. They're a nice touch - AND - very happy to see plenty of retail/commercial space on the first floor. As this part of Manchester really begins to take off and grow, hopefully all these Hull Street-facing storefronts will fill up with plenty of businesses that will contribute mightily to people activity along Hull and in the neighborhood. 👍

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I think the design looks appropriate to the location and Walter Parks designs tend to look better upon completion.  I hope the angled sign remains to completion as I love the extended signage like the Morton building on Broad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Icetera said:

I think the design looks appropriate to the location and Walter Parks designs tend to look better upon completion.

I hope the angled sign remains to completion as I love the extended signage like the Morton building on Broad.

1.) image.jpeg.e6252c0404f42989c0ac54b0f21f6571.jpeg -- certainly can't argue that, Ice. Walter Parks actually do look better IRL then they do in the renderings.

2.) AMEN! I love signage on buildings. Isn't The Commodore - right down the street at 7th and Hull - slated to have vertical signage? Hopefully it will be illuminated at night as well (as in the letters themselves lighting up! I've always loved that look.)

• Like 2