SouthEnd "Gold District"

Windsurfer

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

IMG_7535.JPG

Yeah, this building turned out to be a turd.  No street level retail in a spot that gets a good deal of foot traffic and is surrounded by residential.  Some retail would have acted as a great bridge from the corner with Yume/Max and Lola's, and the rest of Summit with Ilios/Golden Cow/Wooden Robot/Etc. 

It also has more parking garage than it does building, and that material choice is horrible.   It would have looked so much better if they had replaced all the cheap grey stucco with more red brick.  You also can't tell from this angle, but its got two exposed elevator shafts that poke out like 15 feet on each side of the roof.  It looks like it has concrete antennae sticking out of its ugly head.

I kind of liked the big grassy pit where Panthers tailgaters threw all their trash better. . . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Yea that's pretty horrible.  Looks easy to knock down though so that's a positive.  The almighty dollar and gutless city code book = this POS

I agree. It already looks like it needs to be remodeled and renovated. The dark windows make it look depressing. Don't want to complain but this is sooo much land wasted. They could have gone up more floors to at least 8 with the same square footage.  It looks like a nice parking garage at best.

7 minutes ago, j-man said:

They could have gone up more floors to at least 8 with the same square footage.  It looks like a nice parking garage at best.

You have SFHs directly across the street. Three floors was probably the max.  Between District Flats, this and Ferguson,  yikes.  At least 300 put some effort into an industrial feel (brick, steel, glass).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lewy2000 said:

You have SFHs directly across the street. Three floors was probably the max.  Between District Flats, this and Ferguson,  yikes.  At least 300 put some effort into an industrial feel (brick, steel, glass).

Omg I hate the shape, color and design of district Flats even more. This area is confusing lol

3 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Best place in town to take a leak.  

This advertising slogan was on Dale's auto repair, the business on the pointed end of the building  now replaced by Dimensional Funds building at Summit, Camden and South Tryon. 

So, not my inspiriation

Ha!  I used to know Dale and Rick Hovis both.  Cool guys. Dale used to smoke stoggies and had some pits long before the fad. Both were excellent mechanics. 

Perhaps this belongs in history of Charlotte, but in the 50's and early 60's my dad used to know about a continuous poker game that went on in the upper floor of what became Dales Auto. (Nothing to do with Dale).  The woman who ran that game was a widow of a cop.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Perhaps this belongs in history of Charlotte, but in the 50's and early 60's my dad used to know about a continuous poker game that went on in the upper floor of what became Dales Auto. (Nothing to do with Dale).  The woman who ran that game was a widow of a cop.  

Something about this part of town. The regular card game I knew about 20 years ago was over on Palmer near the tracks.

• Like 1